new XR650L

10 replies to this topic
  • janner

Posted June 05, 2007 - 05:34 PM

Ok..so I took the plunge today and came home with an 07 XRL...it was a choice between this and a KLX 400....also a great bike.

All the manual says about break in period is to not go heavy on the throttle for the first 300 miles......so no fast starts and wheelies!

I dont wanty to over rev the engine, but I dont know what over revving would be on a 650 without a tachometer?? (I am used to riding a HD Street Glide so difficult to compare speeds and rpm's)...so what sort of top speed should I be aiming for in 5th gear during break in to give me an idea of how hard its revving?. (did a search on the forum but could not find my answer).

I took it for a 40 mile ride this afternoon :thumbsup: , 20 miles then stopped so it could could cool down, then 20 back. Varying the speed a much a I could and engine breaking thru different gears.....averaging around 45 to 50 mph, but occasionaly taking it briefly to 60 then engine braking back down to a much slower speed .......

I notice the exhaust popping a lot as well on de acceleration..is this usual?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Adamsvh67

Posted June 05, 2007 - 06:28 PM

Deceleration popping will go away with smog pump removal. Sounds like you're doing fine on break in. Just don't run it REAL hard(according to my Honda shop), should be no prob...:thumbsup:

• GIANTac1

Posted June 05, 2007 - 06:38 PM

I had the same issue with my '05, brand new. Dont be scared, "ride it like you stole it" and just and change the oil, and clean the air filter, then do "Daves mods".Search that and you will be informed. Exhaust changes will be up to you......hence, loud, or quiet, or performance.....or, my preferanace white brothers exhaust................or follow anybodys advice and decicide your own! Let me know what happens!:) Ride safe!:thumbsup:

• LeadDoggy

Posted June 05, 2007 - 07:08 PM

I want one too.

1000 down, chase me around. Sign my name on the dotted line, that's the American way.

• janner

Posted June 05, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone.

It was a little strange going straight from a cruiser to the XRL (though I have owned GS 1150/650 and Ulysses in the past)........
The short ride I had was fun.....back roads stuff..but I kept wandering over to the grassy side when no one was looking:ride:

I live in Boerne Tx, gateway to the Hill Country.....I have explored a lot of the roads around here and was begining to find it a bit boring ...so I hope to find some new roads with the XR.....If anyone is in my area and would like to show me around, then let me know.....I am inexperienced at off road riding so would be taking it a bit slow at first......for the first few miles anyway..lol

I had an ear bashing from my wife today:prof: ...she didnt know I was going to buy a new bike......damn, I am sure I told her about it and thought she said it was ok.......We have made up now and all is forgiven, but I now got to find her a little 150 dirt bike so she can have some fun too.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted June 05, 2007 - 08:03 PM

Ok..so I took the plunge today and came home with an 07 XRL...it was a choice between this and a KLX 400....also a great bike.

All the manual says about break in period is to not go heavy on the throttle for the first 300 miles......so no fast starts and wheelies!

I dont wanty to over rev the engine, but I dont know what over revving would be on a 650 without a tachometer?? (I am used to riding a HD Street Glide so difficult to compare speeds and rpm's)...so what sort of top speed should I be aiming for in 5th gear during break in to give me an idea of how hard its revving?. (did a search on the forum but could not find my answer).

I took it for a 40 mile ride this afternoon :thumbsup: , 20 miles then stopped so it could could cool down, then 20 back. Varying the speed a much a I could and engine breaking thru different gears.....averaging around 45 to 50 mph, but occasionaly taking it briefly to 60 then engine braking back down to a much slower speed .......

I notice the exhaust popping a lot as well on de acceleration..is this usual?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the pig family! most important on break in is to change your throttle settings alot. this will get the rings broken in evenly all the way around. the popping is due to the WAY lean jetting stock. either go with daves mods or the dynojet kit as i did(then stepped up to a fcr pumper) along with exhaust. just ride it like you stole it!

• sephy

Posted June 06, 2007 - 01:09 AM

The guy I bought mine from had it jetted, did Dave's mods, exhaust, intake, smog removal... etc. When I got it from him I had the same popping problem and a little bogging down. To me it seemed like running lean so I just turned the pilot out a little bit and that solved it. Maybe you can turn yours out a bit and adjust the idle?

• jonr3

Posted June 06, 2007 - 04:57 AM

Welcome to the club Janner! I just bought a XR650L a couple of months ago after selling my HD Electraglide. Quite a change - but a "fun" change!

There is an interesting web site about how to break in an engine at:
http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm
I'm not sure if I totally agree, but it does seem to make sense mechanically.

I put on a Pro Circuit T4 muffler (loud), a Dyno Jet kit (although I am going to do Dave's mods instead), removed the smog and snorkel, and installed a K&N filter. It really woke the Pig up!!!

I generaly don't shift into 5th gear until about 55mph. I have had it up to 90mph in 5th a couple of times and it still had plenty of throttle left and the revs were not excessive. (I still have the stock gearing).

Just make sure you do your scheduled oil & filter changes using good quality oil & filter (non-synthetic oil for the first few changes), check the oil level often, and have fun! That's why you bought it, right?:thumbsup:

• frankiewhipit

Posted June 06, 2007 - 02:02 PM

I agree with the moto tune usa article, First start up, let it get to operating temp, then just ride it, once the engine gets hot everything is where its supposed to be as far as clearances go, so hammer it. Look at off road cars, they dont do 500 mile break in periods :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted June 06, 2007 - 02:10 PM

im behind that! all my bikes, autos have been treated this way. no burning oil, i also feel they all put out the best poss. power too!

• Motosprtman

Posted June 06, 2007 - 02:31 PM

Thanks everyone.

It was a little strange going straight from a cruiser to the XRL (though I have owned GS 1150/650 and Ulysses in the past)........
The short ride I had was fun.....back roads stuff..but I kept wandering over to the grassy side when no one was looking:ride:

I live in Boerne Tx, gateway to the Hill Country.....I have explored a lot of the roads around here and was begining to find it a bit boring ...so I hope to find some new roads with the XR.....If anyone is in my area and would like to show me around, then let me know.....I am inexperienced at off road riding so would be taking it a bit slow at first......for the first few miles anyway..lol

I had an ear bashing from my wife today:prof: ...she didnt know I was going to buy a new bike......damn, I am sure I told her about it and thought she said it was ok.......We have made up now and all is forgiven, but I now got to find her a little 150 dirt bike so she can have some fun too.:thumbsup:

Get her a CRF230 and have a blast!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.