New to the forum!

6 replies to this topic
  • 426fred

Posted February 14, 2002 - 02:15 AM

Hello everyone!

I have been reading a LOT on this forum for a couple of months - dreaming of buying either a WR400 -99 or preferably a WR426 -01.
Yesterday the dream came through and I bought a 426 - the oppurtunity and price were to good to be tru.
It is a used bike, but only used for 12-15 hours, so I consider it to be new.
I am thinking of checking the wheelbearings, shock-linkage and steering-bearings (you know what I mean) that they are properly greased, change the oil(just to be safe) to a fully synthetic one and I would like to put locktite to some nuts and bolts - but am unsure of whichones?
Can You tell me whichones I should locktite? please.

Later, after some riding, I will do the BK mod, and start with the jetting. When the wallet allows I will put an aftermarket exhaust on it too.

See ya!

• yzernie

Posted February 14, 2002 - 08:02 AM

Originally posted by 426fred:
I would like to put locktite to some nuts and bolts - but am unsure of whichones?

Fred,

Welcome aboard, you already have an idea of what a great site this is.

Loctite the rear sprocket bolts. These are the ones that most frequently come loose on a new or newer bike. I would also Loctite the shifter bolt and the kick starter bolt. Other than those I have never had any problems with bolts coming loose. I'm sure others here will have some additional areas for you to secure.

Ernie

• jamracing

Posted February 14, 2002 - 08:26 AM

Welcome!
Remember that when you take the linkage knuckle off, make sure that the bearing needles don't fall out the bottom of the shock (uncaged bearing).
Hey Ernie, I think your signature should read:
Sponsored by the Wife, Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment, Answer Racing and Sick Suspension...
:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted February 14, 2002 - 08:40 AM

Originally posted by jamracing:
Hey Ernie, I think your signature should read:
Sponsored by the Wife, Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment, Answer Racing and Sick Suspension... :)

Jam,
That's funny.......cause that is exactly what she said!!! She knows she is first on my list!!

Ernie

• 426fred

Posted February 14, 2002 - 09:21 PM

ThankYou both for the info. I will do as You suggest - and keep reading TT every weekday, while at work.

Fredrik

• kev426

Posted February 15, 2002 - 02:40 PM

check the spokes to. had one come loose today and it wraped around the hub :)
kevin

• WRFUN

Posted February 15, 2002 - 03:13 PM

Welcome to the land of knowledge.

Pete :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.