Cycra ProBends with Triple Clamp Brackets- How To

46 replies to this topic
  • Diesel_Junkie

Posted August 21, 2008 - 11:49 AM

The AM pro tripple clamp brackets did not come with any bolts. I am using the longer Socket head Cap screws.

• ADVnaut

Posted January 07, 2010 - 02:44 PM

Creaakkk up from the dead, but hey I'm the OP at least.

I am getting new bars for my '06 WR and wanted to know what is the tallest bend bar someone has gotten away with and still able to mount the cycras on triple clamp brackets without modification? I am thinking about protapers in a KX high bend or Windhams as I ride standing up. I am 5'11". Any other recommendations?

• neanderthaler

Posted January 07, 2010 - 06:06 PM

can't answer your question, but now jason raines is selling the am-pro mounts. website is rainesracing.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted January 09, 2010 - 06:52 AM

I made custom triple clamp mounts that are high enough to use with CR high bars and a BRP Submount. Prior to this I was using the regular Cycra mounts with the same bars and +15mm bar mounts, but the handguards were definitely angled down in the center.
Posted Image
Either way, I wasn't really impressed with the triple clamp mounts as they seemed to bend pretty easily. The tall mount is actually even more prone to bending. Now I use the U-clamp and all those issues are gone.

• eu001939

Posted January 09, 2010 - 09:21 AM

Maybe I have this wrong, but all the discussion about getting strong hand guards that won't bent and are mounted on the triple clamps makes me wonder :

With "regular" handguards, the energy of the fall will likely bend the handguards, might break your levers, and in a worst case will bend your handlebars. And that's were it stops. Your ride might be over, and you have the cost of replacing or straightening the handguards and handlebars, and possibly replace a cheap lever.

However, if you put on very strong handguards and fix them to the triple clamp, the same energy of the fall will not be absorbed by the handguards and the handlebars, but will be directly transferred on the triple clamps and the steering column bearings, possibly even damaging the frame.

So I can understand that in a race you don't care about the cost, but want to be able to finish the race. But for recreational bikers with limited budget, isn't it better to risk the handguards, levers and handlebar, then to risk bending the frame, ruining the triple clamps and the steering bearings ?

Or did I miss something ?

• ADVnaut

Posted January 09, 2010 - 12:46 PM

I made custom triple clamp mounts that are high enough to use with CR high bars and a BRP Submount. Prior to this I was using the regular Cycra mounts with the same bars and +15mm bar mounts, but the handguards were definitely angled down in the center.
Posted Image
Either way, I wasn't really impressed with the triple clamp mounts as they seemed to bend pretty easily. The tall mount is actually even more prone to bending. Now I use the U-clamp and all those issues are gone.

Hey that's cool, I guess you have access to a milling machine?

Maybe I have this wrong, but all the discussion about getting strong hand guards that won't bent and are mounted on the triple clamps makes me wonder :

With "regular" handguards, the energy of the fall will likely bend the handguards, might break your levers, and in a worst case will bend your handlebars. And that's were it stops. Your ride might be over, and you have the cost of replacing or straightening the handguards and handlebars, and possibly replace a cheap lever.

However, if you put on very strong handguards and fix them to the triple clamp, the same energy of the fall will not be absorbed by the handguards and the handlebars, but will be directly transferred on the triple clamps and the steering column bearings, possibly even damaging the frame.

So I can understand that in a race you don't care about the cost, but want to be able to finish the race. But for recreational bikers with limited budget, isn't it better to risk the handguards, levers and handlebar, then to risk bending the frame, ruining the triple clamps and the steering bearings ?

Or did I miss something ?

I don't think you have missed anything. You are definitely transferring more energy to the head with the triple clamp mounts. But you have 100's of percent more structural integrity to lean on. I definitely see your point but I crash enough in tight single track (i,e. not rocks at WOT) with my WR steering like a tractor in sugar sand that I would go broke buying levers and bars.

I may forge some mounts out of 5160 steel that will absorb energy and bounce back. I can get a little more height that way too for my taller bars.

• tribalbc

Posted January 09, 2010 - 01:42 PM

Creaakkk up from the dead, but hey I'm the OP at least.

I am getting new bars for my '06 WR and wanted to know what is the tallest bend bar someone has gotten away with and still able to mount the cycras on triple clamp brackets without modification? I am thinking about protapers in a KX high bend or Windhams as I ride standing up. I am 5'11". Any other recommendations?

I have the triple mounts with 1.5" risers on stock bars (cut down 2")
Bars are also rolled forward +1-2. This works good for me being 6'3"

So I would think taller bars shouldn't be a problem. Worst case scenario you might have to creep them forward a bit, better for standing anyways.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.