2006 yz450f: What to look for?

10 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted June 04, 2007 - 04:18 PM

Hey guys,

I'm gonna prolly get a used 2006 yz450f tommorrow. The bike looks great and has a lot of aftermarket stuff (RG3 Tripple clamps, Enzo suspension, full FMF exhaust, exc) I was just wondering if there were certain things to watch out for when looking at this bike. I'm gonna do the usual coolant, oil, air filter, wheel bearings, exc. check, but I was just wondering if you guess have any suggestions for me while I'm there. Thanks a lot. :) :ride:

P.S.

This will be my first 2006 yz450f for me if I get it! :thumbsup:

• Ga450owner

Posted June 04, 2007 - 05:21 PM

Steering bearing are prone to problems on the 06 - go ahead and buy new seals - they changed the seal on these in 07. Well worth the investment..sounds like you are all over the rest of it

Sounds like it is set up already - enjoy:applause:

• twenty34

Posted June 04, 2007 - 07:47 PM

Hey guys,

I'm gonna prolly get a used 2006 yz450f tommorrow. The bike looks great and has a lot of aftermarket stuff (RG3 Tripple clamps, Enzo suspension, full FMF exhaust, exc) I was just wondering if there were certain things to watch out for when looking at this bike. I'm gonna do the usual coolant, oil, air filter, wheel bearings, exc. check, but I was just wondering if you guess have any suggestions for me while I'm there. Thanks a lot. :thumbsup: :)
:

Check the piston.

• Justin89

Posted June 04, 2007 - 09:43 PM

Check the piston.

Where would I go if I wanted to do a leak down test?

• grayracer513

Posted June 04, 2007 - 10:31 PM

To any competent service department.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted June 05, 2007 - 02:19 PM

competent service department.

:thumbsup: Good one Gray!

• andy250

Posted June 05, 2007 - 03:12 PM

Steering bearing are prone to problems on the 06 - go ahead and buy new seals - they changed the seal on these in 07. Well worth the investment..sounds like you are all over the rest of it

Do you happen to have the 2007 part number? From what I can tell the steering stem bearings/seals haven't changed since 1994.

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2007 - 04:46 PM

:) Good one Gray!

I like to call a spade a shovel. :thumbsup:

• nap__kxf

Posted June 05, 2007 - 06:50 PM

also if it has a carbon or ti exhaust, try to get the oem. my local dealer was saying that once the packing goes out on those mufflers then the heat starts messing with the carbon/ti and sooner or later they'll crack and eventually break.

also, see if it has one of those zip-ty longer fuel mixture screws on the bottom of the carb. because its a real pain in the ass to adjust if it it doesn't. on my dad's we had to take off the shock and subframe to get to his carb when we rejetted it...and to put that zip-ty fuel screw on. may seem small but its a pain in the ass.

• KJ790

Posted June 05, 2007 - 07:16 PM

also if it has a carbon or ti exhaust, try to get the oem. my local dealer was saying that once the packing goes out on those mufflers then the heat starts messing with the carbon/ti and sooner or later they'll crack and eventually break.

also, see if it has one of those zip-ty longer fuel mixture screws on the bottom of the carb. because its a real pain in the ass to adjust if it it doesn't. on my dad's we had to take off the shock and subframe to get to his carb when we rejetted it...and to put that zip-ty fuel screw on. may seem small but its a pain in the ass.

Or you could just repack the silencer. Any four stroke silencer could crack if it is not repacked. I have seen stock silencers blow apart from neglect to pack them. Carbon fiber and titanium cans are just more prone to it happening because they are thinner.

• Justin89

Posted June 06, 2007 - 10:15 AM

It is the FMF Factory 4.1 w/ the powerbomb header system. And yes, it has one of the Zip Tye fuel micture screws. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I got the bike!:thumbsup: It is awesome and has tons of aftermarket stuff.:)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.