THE yz450 noise, need closure

11 replies to this topic
  • blue9red9

Posted June 04, 2007 - 01:20 PM

I'm talking about the clink clink noise at idle. I have a well worn 06 yz450f. My brother has a brand new 07 yz450f. The noise is there on both bikes. However in my 06, it is louder. Has anyone determined what the noise is? What would it mean when it gets a little louder? I've checked the 06 valves... good. Always starts right up. Runs great. The 06 noise doesn't get louder when you rev it but actually appears to go away at anything other than idle. The bikes sound the same off idle. This is driving me nuts. What's the noise?

• grayracer513

Posted June 04, 2007 - 01:37 PM

Camshaft rattle, timing chain noise, and transmission and primary gear torsional rattle. All normal. It could have been made quieter, but that would not have made it faster or lighter.

• Ga450owner

Posted June 04, 2007 - 05:23 PM

They are all noisy....add a skidplate w/ foam - this seems to quiet them down a bit..soundproofing:p

• YzGuy79

Posted June 04, 2007 - 06:31 PM

hmmm. I see things haven't changed. I thought my '03 (my 1st 4st) was falling apart when I started it. I even took it back to the shop. The guy smiled and said "yeah that's normal." At idle you are hearing the valve train noise. As long as your valve are in spec, don't worry.

• VB_Racing

Posted June 06, 2007 - 10:43 AM

I run a GYTR insert in the stock exhaust of my WR450, and the thing sounds terrible all the time, I would get paranoid about all the noises I would hear!!
Unplug the exhaust and it would sound normal!!
I have had 3 Yamaha 4stk's 1 400, and 2 450's. They are all loud, but run forever.
On the flip side, my 07 CRF450 is alot quieter at idle, but service life sure does seem to shorter, go figure!!

Dave

• kyle450rider

Posted June 06, 2007 - 05:39 PM

my 2007 has 13 hours on it and the noise i can hear it at idle and during riding the thing.Drives me crazy!It seemed to get louder after i adjusted the valves.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted June 06, 2007 - 05:45 PM

I don't like the sound of it either.. but it goes away soon as I hit the gas. If it was something to worry about I would suspect the sound would get louder when you rev it.

• blue9red9

Posted June 07, 2007 - 03:38 AM

Misery loves company... I guess as they get a little older, the noise may change. As long as it's not the big end of the rod cause that's what I see in my mind when I hear the noise.

• Wyatt

Posted June 07, 2007 - 05:45 AM

If you are not very familiar with these bikes, get someone who is to listen to it. My friends '06 got noticably louder than mine and we knew something was wrong. They all make noise, but this was a touch out of the ordinary. He tore it down to find the big end rod bearing was failing. This was certainly not a noise that he should have ignored and kept on riding.

• 2wheels-drz

Posted June 07, 2007 - 05:52 AM

the noise scares me too....sounds like an old cement mixer at idle. but they all do it, so its ok...

• pace

Posted June 07, 2007 - 11:10 AM

If you think your Yamaha is noisy, go stand next to an idling KTM some time. My 525EXC sounds like it's coming apart at idle, and has ever since new. My YZF has a much quieter motor.

• jayh300

Posted June 07, 2007 - 11:13 AM

If you think your Yamaha is noisy, go stand next to an idling KTM some time. My 525EXC sounds like it's coming apart at idle, and has ever since new. My YZF has a much quieter motor.

or a 'berg... A friend of mine has a 501 and sounds like a grinder running.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.