'02 WR 426

3 replies to this topic
  • A_McDaniel

Posted February 13, 2002 - 05:29 PM

I have been reading al the posts on my bike and have a few questions. If I were to change my throttle stop without doing the jetting or timing would that do any good? What is de-octopussing and the BK mod? Do these mods plus the grey wire DC really make a big difforence or noticible horsepower? I will be riding in the So Cal desert and racing Hare and Hounds eveery once in a while. I have only had the bike for six day and haven't even really looked it over real close. I don't want to loose any reliability and most of my riding is 50% fast and 50% technical. I may also dual sport it in time. Any help will be appreciated and thanks. Andrew.

• okieguy

Posted February 14, 2002 - 03:44 AM

Andrew,
You want to remove the throttle stop, all it does is stop it from opening all the way. Should not have to rejet just because of this.

I cut the grey wire on mine but could not really tell a big difference.

I changed the pj from 42 to 45 because I had to turn the fuel screw out to almost 3 turns to get it to run right.

Not sure about the bk mod or deoctopussing, bike is running great and it is way faster than I am.

Hope this helps, good riding!

Guy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LarryCO

Posted February 14, 2002 - 08:27 AM

Andrew,
Deoctupussing only applies to earlier models of the WR's. You shouldnt have to worry about that one. Cant remember exactly what the mod had to do with, but it's a mute point for you.

The BK mod will take away that lower end bog when whacking the throttle. It's only $15 in parts and definitely worth the time to do (it's easy). Do searches on "BK mod" to get the details. There's parts lists, pictures, and and all the info you'll need to do the mod.

Yes, jetting your bike SHOULD improve performance greatly. I'm not sure what the stock jetting is on an '02...and how it performs in your neck of the woods...but changing from a Dxx needle to an Exx needle made a world of difference in my midrange. Do some searches on jetting (there's a huge jetting thread out there plus many, many others...find someone close to your location...find out what they're using...and go from there. There's many folks out here in TV land that have lots of good advice on what to jetting to run.

If you're really interested in learning more about jetting, read this article:

Keihin Carb tuning manual

Good luck and welcome!
Larry

• manny_o

Posted February 15, 2002 - 04:28 PM

Originally posted by A McDaniel:
I have been reading al the posts on my bike and have a few questions. If I were to change my throttle stop without doing the jetting or timing would that do any good? What is de-octopussing and the BK mod? Do these mods plus the grey wire DC really make a big difforence or noticible horsepower? I will be riding in the So Cal desert and racing Hare and Hounds eveery once in a while. I have only had the bike for six day and haven't even really looked it over real close. I don't want to loose any reliability and most of my riding is 50% fast and 50% technical. I may also dual sport it in time. Any help will be appreciated and thanks. Andrew.

Andrew, I learned back in the spring of '98 on my WR400 (complete w/ cases that had a lug on top where they put the electric starter on the "works" bikes-a very cruel tease that disappaered after the first release.) that the only smart thing to do is to make your WR intake system the same or identical to a YZ intake system. I understand that this has become more involved with the newer WR's(I've given in lately and have bought the bikes -without- the nightmare/especially in CA.). I would suggest that you ride someones well prepared YZ and decide for yourself if you want ALL the power you payed for (It's ok if you don't-you only need as much power as YOU want-Beware of the "Tool Time/More Power Syndrom"). Also, recognize that for Hare-N-Hound you can take advantage of the new found power AND ACCELERATION with taller gearing for those "High Speed sections". Ty Davis at "Zip Ty" racing or Doug Dubach at "DRD" (probably flashing on top of your screen right now)can be of great assistance here. Also, I HIGHLY recommend a "Thumb actuated" Hot Start Button! You're in for some aggrevation when you fall out in the middle of the Desert and your trying to start a hot "5 valver" and the damn hot start button on your carb won't stay out long enough to get a good kick! (As happened to me during a Vegas to Reno-pre run!)Good luck. e-mail me if you have any Q's. I've got a lot of off-road/desert time on WR's/YZ's.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.