UK Spec 2005 WR450

5 replies to this topic
  • James99

Posted June 04, 2007 - 10:47 AM

Hi All,
Just sold my much loved CRM250 (was getting a bit old) and bought an '05 WR450 after much research.
Although the CRM was an awsome bike, the WR's power and noise does make me smile:applause: , fantastic torque and very fast - Love it.

Question:
Has anyone snipped the 'grey wire' on a UK spec bike?
Does it work on UK spec bikes?

(Sorry, I know it's a 'grey wire' question but I did search first)

BTW Just fitted a Trailtech Vapor - great bit of kit!

Thanks
James

• 04WR450man

Posted June 06, 2007 - 05:03 AM

Hello mate,

Good choice of bike :thumbsup: The UK bikes are not supposed to have the gray wire.............so as long as its not an import then you shouldn't have to touch it!

The vapor's are good, fitted one a while back myself:thumbsup:

Trev.

• RJB

Posted June 07, 2007 - 06:22 AM

one thing always puzzled me was the difference in specs for the bikes. I can understand tire/tyre differences for on road registered, but for example, the following differences (from the 2007 WR):

Chassis Caster Angle - EU 27deg, US 27.3deg
Trail - EU 116mm, US 117mm
Tire (front) - EU 90/90-21, US 80/100-21
Tire (rear) - EU 130/90-18, US 110/100-18
Front suspension - different Oil capacity
Rear suspension - different fitting length

Are riding styles/conditions that different (given US spec covers US, CA & ZA, whereas EU covers Europe, AUS, NZ and Asia)?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • savx13

Posted December 04, 2007 - 01:16 AM

Yes it does have a grey wire! I cut mine about a month after i bought the bike! I now seem to have more low down power. I dont notice it so much on the dirt but it definitly makes a difference when the bike is in supermotard trim!

• chambers

Posted December 04, 2007 - 01:27 AM

So if the bike is on trail wheels would you not bother?

I know mine is the 02 400 and am sure its got a grey wire that aint been touched but have read that the mod is only for US versions. So confusing lol

• savx13

Posted December 04, 2007 - 02:59 AM

I think it depends on your riding ability and what you want from the bike! Im not a fast dirt rider so i dont use the bikes full potential off road! however im much better on the road and road cicuits so i notice the mod more when in this enviroment! Im told that cutting the grey wire gives you a better ignition timing curve(same as the YZF) they retard the ignition slightly on the WR to make it softer and more user friendly!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.