So I got a 99 WR400

21 replies to this topic
  • jmccown

Posted June 04, 2007 - 10:14 AM

First off I love this bike. i switched from 2 stroke to do trails. The power is awesome. The bike needs some work, not too bad. Engine runs great, but here are some things I am going to do to the bike:

- I am replacing the F&R fenders to YZ-style.
- I put new tires on it already.
- One thing I notice was that several of the spokes on the rear wheel are either broken or missing. The wheel is warped, but it's only noticeable on smooth pavement. Is the wheel safe to ride on like this? What wheels can I put back on as a direct replacement? I can't afford to buy a new one, so what bikes should I look for as a used one? I would like to upgrade to a 19" rear if possible.
- Going to go with a Yamaha of Troy Graphics for a YZ400. I cannot find any WR graphics kits.

Other than that the bike seems to be in great shape. Just needs prettied up a little. Always starts first crank. I love this thing.

Anyone have YOT graphics on their bikes?

• redswr

Posted June 04, 2007 - 11:54 AM

- One thing I notice was that several of the spokes on the rear wheel are either broken or missing. The wheel is warped, but it's only noticeable on smooth pavement. Is the wheel safe to ride on like this? What wheels can I put back on as a direct replacement? I can't afford to buy a new one, so what bikes should I look for as a used one? I would like to upgrade to a 19" rear if possible.

first off congrats on the bike! they are great to ride. the wheel is probably just out of true and they will fix that when they put new spokes on. depending on what kind of riding you do a 19" wheel might not be a upgrade. for soft terrain and rocks you need the extra 1" of tire to help the wheel from getting bent in the rocks and to help the tire float in soft conditions.

have fun with the new bike!

• Birdy426

Posted June 04, 2007 - 11:55 AM

I wouln't ride until I fixed those spokes! You don't necessarily need to get a new wheel, just replace the broken or missing spokes and true up the wheel you have. Also, check all of the other spokes as well...

• bushy

Posted June 04, 2007 - 12:39 PM

You picked up a great bike, those things are great bikes.

Rode without a hiccup for four years except when the bike jumped timing. Replace the timing chain and tensioner now!

• jmccown

Posted June 05, 2007 - 03:30 PM

Are the spokes hard to replace? Would I have to buy a whole spoke kit?

• ridinredneck

Posted June 05, 2007 - 08:03 PM

What part of Ky. are ya from? I live in Ky. myself and like you just picked up a 99 WR400F about a month ago. You are right, these bikes are awesome.

• jmccown

Posted June 06, 2007 - 03:45 AM

I am in Pike Co Kentucky.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted June 06, 2007 - 09:38 AM

LOve mine too. I'm at Ft. Knox. Ya'll should come out to a Harescramble sometime:

http://www.kyharescramble.com

• redswr

Posted June 06, 2007 - 11:08 AM

Are the spokes hard to replace? Would I have to buy a whole spoke kit?

i had to buy all the spokes for my wheel. its was kinda a bum deal because the shop charged me for taking the tire off then putting the spokes in and putting the tire back on + the price of the spokes. i think it was around $100

• Bshaips

Posted June 06, 2007 - 07:24 PM

You picked up a great bike, those things are great bikes.

Rode without a hiccup for four years except when the bike jumped timing. Replace the timing chain and tensioner now!

how much does that cost to do?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bushy

Posted June 07, 2007 - 08:22 AM

From the TT store its about 60 bucks for the chain and tensioner. If you're really cool you dont even have to pull the head. With enough fadangling you can get the chain in there with just removing the valve cover, moving the cams, and removing the flywheel.

• jmccown

Posted June 07, 2007 - 09:32 AM

Well I went ahead and ordered the spoke kit, I'll have it mid next week. Opted for the Pro-wheel kit, $59. Hopefully it will true the rim back up. Keeping my fingers crossed

• WReckless

Posted June 07, 2007 - 10:03 AM

congrats on the bike i love my 99 wr400 tough as nails and tons of power.
you said one crank to start does it have an aftermarket ele. start?

• RShaips

Posted June 07, 2007 - 11:20 AM

From the TT store its about 60 bucks for the chain and tensioner. If you're really cool you dont even have to pull the head. With enough fadangling you can get the chain in there with just removing the valve cover, moving the cams, and removing the flywheel.

yea i dont think i need to worie about it yet since my bike has the original sprockets which are in good shape.

• jmccown

Posted June 07, 2007 - 12:48 PM

Nope, kickstart only. It seriously starts first crank every single time, no matter if it has set for a couple of days or if it is hot. Starts very easy. I use the compr. release crank it over once and let the kicker come up halfway and then kick it without the compr half a kick and VOILA! starts every time. So, it's really a kick and a half.

• ridinredneck

Posted June 07, 2007 - 01:42 PM

LOve mine too. I'm at Ft. Knox. Ya'll should come out to a Harescramble sometime:

http://www.kyharescramble.com

Love to come to the scramble sometime. some buddies of mine do it and tryin to get me too. When is the next one?

• WReckless

Posted June 07, 2007 - 02:53 PM

Nope, kickstart only. It seriously starts first crank every single time, no matter if it has set for a couple of days or if it is hot. Starts very easy. I use the compr. release crank it over once and let the kicker come up halfway and then kick it without the compr half a kick and VOILA! starts every time. So, it's really a kick and a half.

mine is the same every once and a while if i get lazy on the air filter it will have dirty jets. i got really good at the pilot and main jet removal and install.
did it have all the free mods done yet like the grey wire and throttle stop removal?
if not there is a good link at the top of the page

• jmccown

Posted June 08, 2007 - 03:56 AM

Do the 99 models have the gray wire?

• bparsel1

Posted June 08, 2007 - 05:45 AM

Congrats on the purchase, I switched from a KTM 2 Stroke and haven't looked back.

The 99's do have the gray wire that can be clipped. Bigger thing is doing something with the exhaust! If it hasn't had the mods done yet you're gonna be extremely surprised when you go for another ride.

Mine starts first kick every time as well, Hot or Cold, doesn't matter. In fact mines going on the trailer to do some riding for tomorrow as we speak!

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted June 09, 2007 - 07:15 PM

next Harescramble is at Mountain Parkway Offroad in Clay City. July 8th!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.