Stuck chain adjuster on 426

7 replies to this topic
  • fitness2go

Posted June 04, 2007 - 02:09 AM

The steel chain adjuster screw has welded itself to the aluminum swingarm. Any suggestions? If I can get it off, I will apply some anti-seize.

• FLjoyride

Posted June 04, 2007 - 08:08 AM

Try heating the swing arm around where the bolt screws in.. and use some PB or WD-40. might try tapping a few times, hope the bolt head isnt rounded over for you yet. Oh use a 6 point socket too

• grayracer513

Posted June 04, 2007 - 08:10 AM

First, remove the axle. Then apply a real penetrating oil (WD-40 is not one of those) and let it sit for an hour. Reapply the oil a couple of times as it sits. Using a six point socket to turn the bolt, see if it will turn. Don't over do here, you can break off the bolt, or spin the threaded plate that anchors it on some bikes.

If it won't move freely enough, add some heat prudently. Aluminum is as hot as you want it to get at the point where spit bounces off it.

• fitness2go

Posted June 05, 2007 - 10:10 PM

1. Used generous amounts of Break-free (name?)
2. Used a torch
3. Broke off a socket
*the bolt is moving in both directions, but with massive amount of pressure. Eventually it gets to the point where the bolt is about to snap.

What are my options? I spoke with one a couple of bike shops and they were hesitant. One shop told me they don't deal with that stuff and another said that I might have to buy a new swingarm!!! Another told me it was $90 minimum and that doesn't guarantee that they can fix it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga450owner

Posted June 06, 2007 - 07:46 AM

use more penetrating oil, more heat and be patient. It will come out eventually. Do not over torque removing this it will snap and it is a mess to fix. Always use Antisieze on these 2 bolts or this will happen every time

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2007 - 10:58 AM

In the event that it breaks off, drill out the bolt as near centered as possible using a 17/64" drill (.266") and try re-threading the existing hole (8mm x 1.25). If this doesn't produce a good repair, install a Time-Sert or a Heli-Coil to restore it.

• King_Air

Posted June 06, 2007 - 01:59 PM

I believe that he posted this in the general section also. In there he says that he already took it to a shop for repairs. But I am reading with intrest in hopes of knowing how to fix mine if (when) it happens to me.

• yz426em

Posted June 06, 2007 - 02:10 PM

I told him i have a extra swingarm for a 426, but he pm'ed me saying it was stuck on a kx? If its a 426 i have a extra that is in working condition.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.