Swingarm Damage - Should I Replace?

4 replies to this topic
  • muddza

Posted June 03, 2007 - 11:15 PM

:thumbsup: Destroyed my rear hub last weekend, probably cause of one of the sprocket bolts worked it's way loose. Just look at the damage done to my swingarm. :)

Should I Have it Welded? Purchase A New Swingarm? or just put her all back toegther and :ride:

1. Posted Image

2. Posted Image

3. Posted Image

• TMAC25

Posted June 04, 2007 - 12:45 AM

First off don't ever weld aluminum swing arms or frames, heating aluminum greatly weakens it. Second, what year 450f is this off of? I have an extra swing arm off of a 03 that fits 03-05, you can have it for virtually nothing, just pay the shipping. Third, this dose not even look that bad, and fourth, I highly doubt that one loosened sprocket bolt would destroy a rear hub, my best bet is that multiple bolt back their way out. Anyway good luck with it, and if it is 03-05 you can have mine, if not, just put here back together I th ink you will be alright.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • muddza

Posted June 04, 2007 - 01:03 AM

First off don't ever weld aluminum swing arms or frames, heating aluminum greatly weakens it. Second, what year 450f is this off of? I have an extra swing arm off of a 03 that fits 03-05, you can have it for virtually nothing, just pay the shipping. Third, this dose not even look that bad, and fourth, I highly doubt that one loosened sprocket bolt would destroy a rear hub, my best bet is that multiple bolt back their way out. Anyway good luck with it, and if it is 03-05 you can have mine, if not, just put here back together I th ink you will be alright.

Ok so I wont be welding it then. Bike is an '05' so sweet, thanks for that, just need to ship to Auz (Gold Coast), send me a PM with cost and bank details and we can sort somethin out. Yeah, multiple bolts backed their way out :) Lucky I guess that it wasn't over the 80 footer :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 04, 2007 - 07:57 AM

It's welded already, and a properly done TIG weld over that scar will be much stronger than it currently is.

As to why the hub failed, if the sprocket flange was ripped off, the single most likely cause was that the chain was too tight. This is an extremely common error on the '06 and later models because the chain requires more slack than the earlier one's in order to keep it from drawing taut as it passes over center. The loop formed by the chain then becomes shorter than the distance from the front sprocket to the rear, and the force created by this can be extremely high.

Never go by appearances. Measure the slack per the manual when you adjust.

http://www.thumperta...448#post4584448

• muddza

Posted June 04, 2007 - 08:58 PM

It's welded already, and a properly done TIG weld over that scar will be much stronger than it currently is.

As to why the hub failed, if the sprocket flange was ripped off, the single most likely cause was that the chain was too tight. This is an extremely common error on the '06 and later models because the chain requires more slack than the earlier one's in order to keep it from drawing taut as it passes over center. The loop formed by the chain then becomes shorter than the distance from the front sprocket to the rear, and the force created by this can be extremely high.

Never go by appearances. Measure the slack per the manual when you adjust.

http://www.thumperta...448#post4584448

Your right Gray, I will never be adjusting by appearance again, learnt from that mistake :) So then I guess it wouldn't be so bad to get it welded up after all :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.