Sick of Sitting!

3 replies to this topic
  • jhrex

Posted June 03, 2007 - 04:04 PM

OK, got an '02 yz426f last week. Great advice from here on how to start it, and then went to my local shop for advice on a tune up, they can't get it in for a couple of weeks, but they suggested a new plug and a fuel mix screw adaptor.

I installed the new plug, and the adaptor, got the idle set screw to work right, it was gummed up a bit.

It starts better, very consistent when cold. but the idle is not dependable, and if I keep it high its way hella NOT safe to ride.

keep it low and it stalls often, and can be a total biach to restart!

15 minutes a couple times while my buddies were riding! Glad it wasn't a trail ride or there woulda been some long waits for everybody.

Trying to start it with the hot start sometimes works, not always, sometimes the choke works, not always.

the fuel mix screw is turned out about a turn and a half.

the air filter is getting cleaned as we speak, Oh there is another question, will my K&N air filter cleaner and oil work on the filter? what kind'a oil is best?

ok thats enough for now, open to any mods I gotta do to get this thing working cuzza its SO :thumbsup: fun to ride! but a PITA to sit on.

jh jhrex.com

• 642MX

Posted June 03, 2007 - 04:20 PM

Sounds like its time for a good carb cleaning and a JD jet kit (available in the TT store). The JD jet kit takes the guess work out of jetting, plus the JD kit adds quite a bit of throttle response.

K&N cleaner and oil should be used on K&N's only. Use some kerosene or mineral spirits for cleaning and use a good sticky oil like Maxima FFT or PJ1. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jhrex

Posted June 03, 2007 - 04:35 PM

is the jet kit hard to install? i'm ordering it anyway. (not certain the bike "needs" any more throttle response)

Come to think of it there is a small lag that is a nuisance when try to get some quick traction is loose stuff.

yup. gonna order it now!

what else, c'mon, I want a swiss watch runnin mutha thumper! like my old XL500R. never hadda push that bike farther than off the trailer!

jh jhrex.com

• FLjoyride

Posted June 04, 2007 - 03:43 AM

I would make sure that you have set your fuel screw all the way. When I installed my fuel screw it was very hard to get it to screw in and I must have taken it in and out about 8 times (cleaning it each time) before I finally got it to go in all the way easily.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.