Titled XR650R Smog Check

15 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted June 03, 2007 - 03:42 PM

Anyone know what to do if you move to a state which does a smog check on a bike prior to getting it titled in that state? Motor is stock but uncorked. Do I go back and re jet it lean, plug the air box or? Do I need to get the CA smog equipment? Any details would be great. Thanks

• cleonard

Posted June 04, 2007 - 08:45 AM

Put it back to the factory jetting or your carbon monoxide will be really high.

• GlobalWarmer

Posted June 04, 2007 - 08:54 AM

Isn't an 06 R red stickered? I doubt they will let you keep the plate here. Find a way to leave it registered in Fla.

• captb

Posted June 04, 2007 - 08:54 AM

Arizona just does a idle smog check, I run mine rich so it runs smooth and cool(75 pilot jet) on the low end so I just turn my idle mixture sceew in one turn and it goes right thru emissions test every year.

• gabriel

Posted June 04, 2007 - 09:09 AM

Arizona just does a idle smog check, I run mine rich so it runs smooth and cool(75 pilot jet) on the low end so I just turn my idle mixture sceew in one turn and it goes right thru emissions test every year.

wow, i didn't even know that you had to have a smog check on a bike...i should have thought twice before i tossed out all the smog stuff.

• HawkGT

Posted June 04, 2007 - 09:44 AM

I think AZ is one of the very few states that requires MC smog checks. Only the metro Phoenix and Tuscon areas require it.

I'm certainly not lean, I haven't touch my jetting for the test, and I've passed the idle test too.

Last time,
HC in PPM = 267
CO in % = 5.5 (Looks like I just barely passed that one. I think 5.5 is the limit if I'm reading the report correctly.)

• philipstjohn

Posted June 04, 2007 - 02:02 PM

Isn't an 06 R red stickered? I doubt they will let you keep the plate here. Find a way to leave it registered in Fla.

What is "red stickered"? :thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted June 04, 2007 - 03:11 PM

What is "red stickered"? :thumbsup:

It's a CA thing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted June 04, 2007 - 04:31 PM

It's a CA thing.

So If I am titled in Florida, and I go to back to my home town of SD, and try to title it in CA, they will not title it?

• HawkGT

Posted June 04, 2007 - 07:08 PM

So If I am titled in Florida, and I go to back to my home town of SD, and try to title it in CA, they will not title it?

Better ask some CA folks. I'm not well versed enough on the whole red/green sticker thing to offer advice.

• cleonard

Posted June 05, 2007 - 08:52 AM

By the book they will not street title it. You will get off road registration. However, you could get lucky and receive a plate.

• philipstjohn

Posted June 05, 2007 - 05:50 PM

By the book they will not street title it. You will get off road registration. However, you could get lucky and receive a plate.

When you say lucky- do you mean going to the right DMV at the right time with a cool person behind the desk or?
Florida does not title "off road use only" bikes like CA- I bought a previously titled bike from another state and was able to transfer title to get my FL Plate here. I thought since I was titled, I could go to CA and title it there as well? :thumbsup:

• sephy

Posted June 06, 2007 - 01:15 AM

I'd call the CA DMV. The only law about bringing a bike into CA that I know of is the odometer must read over 7500 miles to get it titled. If you already have a plate in another state you MIGHT get a plate in CA, but with the new plating laws they may still deny you one.

• dezert thumper

Posted June 06, 2007 - 03:34 AM

The smog check isn't the big thing here, you can get by that its when you take your bike and your title to dmv. If you have a 03 or older R with a baja kit and everything works, horn, turn sig, brake light, tail light, head light with hi and low beam, dot tires,and all your paper work you should have no trouble. There are a lot of R's running around with plates out here.

• cleonard

Posted June 06, 2007 - 09:43 AM

When you say lucky- do you mean going to the right DMV at the right time with a cool person behind the desk or?
Florida does not title "off road use only" bikes like CA- I bought a previously titled bike from another state and was able to transfer title to get my FL Plate here. I thought since I was titled, I could go to CA and title it there as well? :thumbsup:

Lucky as in cool person. You can read about the process on the California DMV web site. You fill out an application for registration (form 343). Part of that form is something called VIN verification. When they do the VIN verification, they look at the VIN and at the emissions sticker. It must say "apporved for on road emissions" or you do not get a plate. Since the bike has a sticker that says "off road emissions" you get an off road registration. If the sticker is missing then you get a red sticker and can only ride part of the year in certain areas.

• sephy

Posted June 07, 2007 - 11:55 AM

Still technically they're not supposed to title off-road bikes anymore regardless of year. Several people on the local forums with Huskies that they bought as street-legal bikes got their plates taken away even. You may get lucky and get a plate so long as you have enough miles and it's already registered for the street in another state.

Unless you can get that sort of deal then it will be a real hassle to get a plate and you'll probably lose it the next year anyway. It may just be time to get a new bike :) :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.