am I too tall for a WR?

16 replies to this topic
  • bluemoonrider

Posted June 03, 2007 - 01:37 AM

Just received my brand new 2007 WR 450, went for a first ride. 100 miles in the dunes, I felt the bar was way too low, and nothing to hug down there around the tank. I'm 6.3ft, any suggestions?

• clark4131

Posted June 03, 2007 - 06:09 AM

Taller bars with a SUB mount, lowered pegs, larger tank, problem solved...SC

• MountainMax

Posted June 03, 2007 - 06:19 AM

im 6'4 and I had to do the same thing, bought some taller handlebar risors that also moved the bars forward, taller seat, lowered footpegs and larger gas tank, fit's much better now (also put in some stiffer springs as im heavy too)
Posted Image

• bluemoonrider

Posted June 03, 2007 - 06:50 AM

thanks, could you tell me what bar did you pick? same for the mount

• MountainMax

Posted June 03, 2007 - 07:06 AM

It's the same bars, you can buy the reloacating mouns different places online, i'll try to find where i bought mine, they are 2" taller and 1" forward, you can mod your footpegs yourself if you can cut and weld, and guts racing sells tall soft seats, they are awesome, Acerbis 3.2 gallon tank is just right too.

• SXP

Posted June 03, 2007 - 09:51 AM

Just received my brand new 2007 WR 450, went for a first ride. 100 miles in the dunes, I felt the bar was way too low, and nothing to hug down there around the tank. I'm 6.3ft, any suggestions?

If you are going to get a stabilizer you might want to consider this option (see pics) http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=494813 It raises the bars one inches and is a bolt on mod.

• Beerad

Posted June 04, 2007 - 01:51 PM

Blue Moon, a good tall bend to look at would be the Renthal RC High Fatbar. Part number is 609-01. It will be just over an inch taller and much more comfy. I'm 6'2" and have that bend on my KX450 and CRF250X. It will still leave enough slack in your cables and such to not bind also.

• Gandalf_WR450

Posted June 04, 2007 - 04:54 PM

Must be nice- my only problem with my '03 WR450 is the height- I am 6' but have ordered the lowering link. Even as a stubby 6'er I felt the bars were too low while standing. Seems like an ideal bike for the long of leg!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted June 04, 2007 - 05:07 PM

I put stiffer front springs in mine and cranked up the rear, this with the taller seat makes mine almost big enough for me, hehe

• bg10459

Posted June 04, 2007 - 05:59 PM

I'm 6-5, 260 and my WR has stock seat height, footpegs and tank. CR Hi Twinwalls and BRP Submount = about 1.75" over stock (requires longer throttle cables), and .50 fork springs and a 6.4 shock spring on stock valving suspend my fat arse.

I'm very comfortable standing and my bike handles like a charm in everything from fast fire roads to rocky hero sections. I love my bike, but it is an '03, so it's taller and does have a larger tank than the '07.

Taller bars might be the single best thing you can do.

• tony1970

Posted June 04, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Blue Moon, a good tall bend to look at would be the Renthal RC High Fatbar. Part number is 609-01. It will be just over an inch taller and much more comfy. I'm 6'2" and have that bend on my KX450 and CRF250X. It will still leave enough slack in your cables and such to not bind also.

Awesome bar bend.:thumbsup:

Posted Image

• Johnny34

Posted June 04, 2007 - 08:41 PM

You are all shorties! HA HA HA. I'm 6'6" and I have done the following: Powerpegz in the lowered position. Best pegs ever! Tried bar risers but didn't like them very much. They felt like they threw off the steering for me so I took them off. Stock bars still and stock seat. I plan on getting taller bars, eventually. A tall seat would be nice too but I'm doing fine without it so far.

• Impaler

Posted June 05, 2007 - 05:53 PM

i agree with 1049...im 6'3 and went to custom pegs fer my wide feet and rolled the bars forward a bit(tiny)...

• bluemoonrider

Posted June 07, 2007 - 02:28 AM

I'm 6-5, 260 and my WR has stock seat height, footpegs and tank. CR Hi Twinwalls and BRP Submount = about 1.75" over stock (requires longer throttle cables), and .50 fork springs and a 6.4 shock spring on stock valving suspend my fat arse.

I'm very comfortable standing and my bike handles like a charm in everything from fast fire roads to rocky hero sections. I love my bike, but it is an '03, so it's taller and does have a larger tank than the '07.

Taller bars might be the single best thing you can do.

Hey Max
What's that beautiful tall seat you have there?

• bumknee

Posted June 07, 2007 - 02:40 AM

Im 6'3" - the standard set up on the WR or YZ is not comfortable at all.

Here is my suggestion in order, try them one at a time until you comfortable.

Turn the bars all the way up and open the cockpit. FREE

10cm bar extension. 30$ (dont bother with those tiny ones 3-5 cm, I found mine on a streetbike site)

Raise your seat - 30 $ Guts racing high seat foam. You probably will want the new seat too. The old one can be put back on but they make a perfectly fitting one for the high foam. I think that is around 70 $

Lower the pegs. I stoped after steps 1-3 and didn't think the expense of lowering the pegs was necessary. Plus I ride the YZ on MX tracks and didn't want me feet any lower to the ground. I think this is the most expensive option of them all - around 150 $ and it requires some mods?

Good luck

• bumknee

Posted June 07, 2007 - 02:46 AM

Now I have a question. My 6'3 frame comes with size 13 feet. Has anyone done a mod to a longer shifter or brake?

• MountainMax

Posted June 07, 2007 - 07:22 AM

Hey Bluemoonrider, my seat is a guts racing foam and cover using stock seat.

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.