2007 WR 450 Breather hose and Airbox drain mod!!!

5 replies to this topic
  • blackdog9

Posted June 02, 2007 - 11:39 PM

Had two problems: First, messy airbox due to engine oil overfill, caused by breather hose routed to airbox....
Second, airbox drain hole "plugged" with that short clear hose... so oil and water from washings or deep crossings would not drain, but rather clog the filter element!!:thumbsup:
So, I disconnected breather hose from airbox, and plugged the hole (Copper plug in picture).
Next, connected breather hose to PVC T connector from garden section in HomeDepot.
Third: Threw away clear drain hose, and replaced it with a real clear hose connected also to Pvc T.
Fourth: Another clear hose connected to Pvc T , and directed towards soil, with the other carb drain hoses.
Final result: Engine oil excess routed to ground, not into my airbox...and also a proper airbox drainage to manage "generous bike washes", or deep crossings. Some explanatory pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
So far, 300 kms and no complaints... Hope it helps someone.:ride:
Greetings from Chile.:)

• erickdj

Posted June 03, 2007 - 05:28 AM

Had two problems: First, messy airbox due to engine oil overfill, caused by breather hose routed to airbox....
Second, airbox drain hole "plugged" with that short clear hose... so oil and water from washings or deep crossings would not drain, but rather clog the filter element!!:thumbsup:
So, I disconnected breather hose from airbox, and plugged the hole (Copper plug in picture).
Next, connected breather hose to PVC T connector from garden section in HomeDepot.
Third: Threw away clear drain hose, and replaced it with a real clear hose connected also to Pvc T.
Fourth: Another clear hose connected to Pvc T , and directed towards soil, with the other carb drain hoses.
Final result: Engine oil excess routed to ground, not into my airbox...and also a proper airbox drainage to manage "generous bike washes", or deep crossings. Some explanatory pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Excelente idea blackdog9, creo que intentare eso con mi WR. :ride:

• FastRides

Posted June 03, 2007 - 06:55 AM

Looks like a 1.5 - 2 beer job in the garage... nice work and good pics, blackdog- thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted June 03, 2007 - 10:12 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Haven't you just undone what Yamaha attempted address/correct with the earlier 400/450s where the crank breather hose just hung down the side of the engine. If you stalled in deep water and attempted to start the bike water would get sucked up the hose into the engine. Looks like you have reverted to the old/flawed design.

• blackdog9

Posted June 03, 2007 - 02:27 PM

Yup you´re right.... only one difference with this Mod : water can´t be sucked up because there´s an upper "snorkel" (airbox drain hose), so negative pressure would still suck air instead of water from submerged inferior hose. Only way to suck water would be submerging inferior (drain) and upper (airbox) hose, meaning that your bike is up to the airbox with water:cry: so same would happen without the mod in that "misshap"
Ride safe... Saludos from Chile to Beautiful California... I´m hoping to race Baja California before I die...ha :thumbsup:

• SXP

Posted June 03, 2007 - 04:18 PM

Yup you´re right.... only one difference with this Mod : water can´t be sucked up because there´s an upper "snorkel" (airbox drain hose), so negative pressure would still suck air instead of water from submerged inferior hose. Only way to suck water would be submerging inferior (drain) and upper (airbox) hose, meaning that your bike is up to the airbox with water:cry: so same would happen without the mod in that "misshap"
Ride safe... Saludos from Chile to Beautiful California... I´m hoping to race Baja California before I die...ha :thumbsup:

Aha! I missed that little detail:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.