LOUD PIPES

42 replies to this topic
  • mikem

Posted February 18, 2002 - 08:55 AM

Loud Pipes - Negative example hits home!!

In my last post, I mentioned the great riding in North Ga. through adjacent land owners land. One of our riding buddies is one of the land owners Well, I just received a frustrating call.

Friday's ride was unusual. We had several new guys show up. Three of which had louder than normal pipes - ear-splitters! Most of our group has quieted their pipes down in recent months to be able to ride more places. One of the landowners in the chain of riding properties is in the process of installing a new gravel road which leads to a new house he is building. This particular road goes along what was a key trail in connecting all the various riding areas. Our riding buddy and local landowner made a special visit this past week to make sure it was OK to cross the land on the new road, since he was in the process of grading it. When we rode on the new gravel road, most of the group slowed down to respect the landowner - we passed by guys doing grading work. The three with loud pipes took off down the road, roosting gravel as they went.

Yesterday, my buddy who organizes the rides received a call from the landowner. He said we could no longer use his land - too much noise and he said that the dirtbikes had trenched his new road in places. My buddy is going to talk to him and explain that it won't happen again and try to get our privileges back, but who knows? This would be very frustrating - this land is key to connecting to some primo riding areas.

To me, this is a frustrating example that hits home on this issue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_from_HB

Posted February 18, 2002 - 10:16 PM

Once again, an issue of behavior, not of inherent noise. Even with a loud pipe, if we just ride by people at low rpm, wave, don't roost up the man's gravel, and behave ourselves like adults, it's usually ok. Even with the aforementioned loud pipe. If you ride near people often, get a quieter pipe or go where there are no people. In any case, let's just throttle those who misbehave on motorcycles, because they are the ones ruining it for the rest. Seems simple to me.
Dan

• MOmilkman

Posted February 18, 2002 - 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Dan from HB:
Once again, an issue of behavior, not of inherent noise. In any case, let's just throttle those who misbehave on motorcycles, because they are the ones ruining it for the rest. Seems simple to me.
Dan

Exactly my sentiments!!!

I have a FMF PCIV. I rode some jeep trails out in Colorado 2 summers ago and rode past several people on horse back that we stopped and talked with.
They told us that if more people that rode dirt bikes behaved responsibly on them (they were referring to the fact we shut the bikes off as we rode past, or gave it no throttle at all) they wouldnt have a problem with them.

Side note: Dan from HB - I ate at the Crab Cooker in HB last Novermber. Best king crab legs/food ever!!!! :) :D :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.