Anyone bother to turn the petcock off?

38 replies to this topic
  • DGXR

Posted June 04, 2007 - 08:52 AM

Yep, I usually shut if off and let the bike run long enough to empty the float bowl. I got in the habit when I had a CR500, always seemed to start a little easier with fresh fuel in the bowl.:thumbsup:

Turning off the fuel and allowing the engine to stumble and die does not completely empty the bowl, but it's close enough and that's what I do at the end of the day. The only time my petcock's on is during the day's ride. It gets turned off at the end of the day and back on again at the beginning of the next day's ride. And as others have said, leaving the fuel on when towing/trailering a bike would cause the bowl to overflow, causing lost gas and probably a fire hazard too, and maybe contributing to a flooding condition? :) I use sta-bil only during the winter / infrequent riding season. QUESTION: Since petcock on = float bowl always full, wouldn't fuel constantly be evaporating and creating varnish and other deposits in the fuel system?

• exaresix

Posted June 04, 2007 - 11:35 PM

It is claimed by some that Stabil prevents the varnishing situation even in a full static float bowl, and Eddie Sisneros goes by that belief. When leaving it sit for extended periods, I drain the bowl and spray a bit of carb cleaner in there, then recap it. Eddie thinks that could damage o-rings. So far it hasn't, but I'm aware of the risk.

• martinfan30

Posted June 05, 2007 - 10:04 AM

Turning off the fuel and allowing the engine to stumble and die does not completely empty the bowl, but it's close enough and that's what I do at the end of the day. The only time my petcock's on is during the day's ride. It gets turned off at the end of the day and back on again at the beginning of the next day's ride. And as others have said, leaving the fuel on when towing/trailering a bike would cause the bowl to overflow, causing lost gas and probably a fire hazard too, and maybe contributing to a flooding condition? :thumbsup: I use sta-bil only during the winter / infrequent riding season. QUESTION: Since petcock on = float bowl always full, wouldn't fuel constantly be evaporating and creating varnish and other deposits in the fuel system?

this is my routine also. that valve is there for a reason.

• cleonard

Posted June 05, 2007 - 11:47 AM

I try and always turn off the petcock at the end of the ride.

99.9% of the time you will be OK. However, eventually you could have an issue. If the bike starts leaking gas in your garage it could be a major problem. Like burn down house kind of problem.

Fuel slowly evaporates from the carb. When it evaporates it leaves the dreaded varnish like gunk. If you leave the petcock open, the evaporated gas gets replaced with fresh. Over time as the gas evaporates the amount of crud in the float bowl increases.

• gabriel

Posted June 05, 2007 - 05:29 PM

I try and always turn off the petcock at the end of the ride.

99.9% of the time you will be OK. However, eventually you could have an issue. If the bike starts leaking gas in your garage it could be a major problem. Like burn down house kind of problem.

Fuel slowly evaporates from the carb. When it evaporates it leaves the dreaded varnish like gunk. If you leave the petcock open, the evaporated gas gets replaced with fresh. Over time as the gas evaporates the amount of crud in the float bowl increases.

and thats why you should open up, inspect, and if necessary, clean out your carb.

• lrutt

Posted June 05, 2007 - 05:50 PM

every time, every bike. I had a bike stick a float on al old DT once and it completely filled the engine with gas. Learned my lesson then.

• philipstjohn

Posted June 05, 2007 - 05:55 PM

I always turn it off at the end of the day... I was told to do so since I was young, and have done so every since...:thumbsup:

• HeadTrauma

Posted June 05, 2007 - 10:29 PM

I always turn off my fuel when the bike won't get ridden for a few hours or more. I find that the air bubbles in the inline fuel filter always dance around for a second after turning the fuel back on, especially if I haven't ridden in a few days. My XR600 always starts by the 3rd kick using this method.

• Eurobiker

Posted June 06, 2007 - 05:34 AM

+1 on turning them off. I do this on all of my bikes, dirt or street. I've never bothered to run the bowl out of gas, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR_RON

Posted June 06, 2007 - 05:43 AM

86xr600,99xr250,I always turn them off after every ride,Ive told the kids to turn it off on there XR100 as well,I cant tell you how many times Ive switched it on after being out on the road after a short stop,habit I guess,some one told me it would cause the carb to dribble if left on,what do you guys think?

• DGXR

Posted June 06, 2007 - 06:42 AM

and thats why you should open up, inspect, and if necessary, clean out your carb.

Agreed, it's a good idea to do this on a regular basis. But I can be lazy sometimes and I haven't cleaned or adjusted anything (except the air screw) on my 500's dual carb setup in about two years, and it still starts on the first kick 99% of the time and runs awesome. :thumbsup: I attribute this to shutting off the petcock after every ride, the inline fuel filter, and the 2oz Marvel Mystery oil and 1 oz Lucas fuel system treatment I put in every 5 gallons of premium. Otherwise, I guess I'm just lucky. :)
P.S. this is a good thread

• VALLEYMUSTANG

Posted June 06, 2007 - 07:39 AM

On the subject of Ehtanol in California gas, how would I know it's mixed in there if the pump doesn't say E85 or otherwise ? I live in central California and I couldn't find E85 if my life depended on it. Supposedly there only only a hand full of E85 distributors in the whole state, but many distrubutors in the midwest. Anyone know which manufacturer is adding Ethanol ?

• cleonard

Posted June 06, 2007 - 09:38 AM

On the subject of Ehtanol in California gas, how would I know it's mixed in there if the pump doesn't say E85 or otherwise ? I live in central California and I couldn't find E85 if my life depended on it. Supposedly there only only a hand full of E85 distributors in the whole state, but many distrubutors in the midwest. Anyone know which manufacturer is adding Ethanol ?

It is pretty much all of them. It's only 5% to 11%. When MTBE was phased out, it was replaced with ethanol. The reason for no E85 is that all the ethanol available is used to make gasoline.

• Motosprtman

Posted June 06, 2007 - 06:03 PM

if we never turned it off then the bumper sticker as we know it today would never haved existed....

"turn the gas on dummy".

• wickedsprint

Posted June 07, 2007 - 06:56 AM

I personally had a friend in tampa florida who's house burned down due to a leaky main needle allowing fuel to leak past the needle seat, ran down the overflow...ran a couple feet down the ground to a battery tender/charger and that's all she wrote. Gas leaking past the seat can also find its way into the engine and dillute your oil. Just shut it off, it takes like 2 seconds.

• imprezed

Posted June 07, 2007 - 09:20 AM

I have always turned mine off snowmobiles , bikes , mowers I had a buddy that did'nt and the floats suck after riding spilled gas all over the grage nothing more than a big mess but never a good thing when gas pools under a hot bike :thumbsup:

• mishke

Posted June 07, 2007 - 09:24 AM

I turn it to off everytime-20 yr old honda and its never leaked.keeps things flexiable,i figure.kind of like a cars emergency brake-either use it often or not at all to avoid it failing.

• tomb1957

Posted June 07, 2007 - 04:01 PM

I have a clear inline fuel filter and the fuel turns yellow within 30 minutes. I also have had to clean the jets on both bikes and generator if fuel is left in the bowl for more than a week.

• elrontx

Posted June 07, 2007 - 05:43 PM

i dont know why but the owners manual for my 650L says leave it on on or reserve all the time

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.