Anyone bother to turn the petcock off?

38 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted June 02, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Just curious if it's really necessary. When I do, nine times out of ten I forget to turn it back on and stall the bike.:thumbsup:

• jvw1952

Posted June 02, 2007 - 05:05 PM

I haven't turned one off for years

• ImStuck

Posted June 02, 2007 - 05:52 PM

same here, and it hasnt been bad to me... but, i need to rebuild it, so, that could say something... but its 13 years old.

• Timmerz

Posted June 02, 2007 - 05:52 PM

Totally against the advice of all my buddies, mine stays on unless it's going into extended storage, like more than a few days or so.....

• LeadDoggy

Posted June 02, 2007 - 07:05 PM

After I get done riding for the day, the fuel valve gets turned off.

• Potts228

Posted June 02, 2007 - 07:46 PM

Just curious if it's really necessary. When I do, nine times out of ten I forget to turn it back on and stall the bike.:thumbsup:

I always turn them off when they are on the trailer or in the back of a truck. The bouncing can cause fuel to run into the engine and also out the overflow tubes. The end result can be a hard to start engine and lost fuel.

• InternalCombustion

Posted June 02, 2007 - 09:01 PM

I used to not do it, but just as a discipline thing I now do it on all my bikes. Helps me stay focused on ALL the safety, pre-ride checks, like "tires, chain, lights, oil" etc.

Getting old, I guess.

(But like they say, "Getting old beats not.")

Ride safe.

• bork

Posted June 03, 2007 - 05:00 AM

I always turn it off, always have on all my bikes. Habit I suppose.

• captb

Posted June 03, 2007 - 05:43 AM

Allways on dirt bikes, my street bikes have auto shut off. I don't need any surprises.

• zodran

Posted June 03, 2007 - 06:44 AM

Yep, I usually shut if off and let the bike run long enough to empty the float bowl. I got in the habit when I had a CR500, always seemed to start a little easier with fresh fuel in the bowl.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheelnut46

Posted June 03, 2007 - 08:34 AM

Yep, I usually shut if off and let the bike run long enough to empty the float bowl. I got in the habit when I had a CR500, always seemed to start a little easier with fresh fuel in the bowl.:thumbsup:

+1
Also good if I can't ride unexpectedly for a while.

• Jack Roberge

Posted June 03, 2007 - 10:36 AM

I never turn mine off no matter how long it sits. I do turn it off when I trailer it as gas will leak out of the overflow hose.

• Firelyle

Posted June 03, 2007 - 10:46 AM

Turn off my street and dirtbikes....I don't know if it really matters but learned to ride that way and have always done it.

• exaresix

Posted June 03, 2007 - 11:59 AM

There are numerous methods of dealing with the bike that is not being used for a while. No method has been universally endorsed by anyone with authority. I have done everything from nothing at all to draining the tank and float bowl and spraying carb cleaner in the empty float bowl afterwards. Eddie Sisneros recommends using Stabil in the gas and leaving the float bowl full. The petcock itself does not seem to be a big issue with anyone.

• desmo900

Posted June 03, 2007 - 01:04 PM

here in southern california, i have to to turn off the valve and drain the bowl Everytime i ride or the crappy gas here will leave Green crusty deposits in the carb and plug the float valve .

not only my bikes, but the lawn mower and edger are the same way.. Brand new honda mower used it for the first time and by the next weekend. the carb was clogged up with green.

• goblin127

Posted June 03, 2007 - 01:28 PM

here in southern california, i have to to turn off the valve and drain the bowl Everytime i ride or the crappy gas here will leave Green crusty deposits in the carb and plug the float valve .

not only my bikes, but the lawn mower and edger are the same way.. Brand new honda mower used it for the first time and by the next weekend. the carb was clogged up with green.

You guys are probably on the ethanol like we are. Terrible stuff for carbs. Outboard motors are having a hard time of it. As far as the petcock goes it gets shut when ever the bike is going to get parked that doesn't include running into a store or something of that sort.

• ImStuck

Posted June 03, 2007 - 05:22 PM

I KNOW!!!!!

SHI**Y GAS!

pulled out the jet + float bowl drain plug, covered in green nastyness.

• jbird710

Posted June 04, 2007 - 06:19 AM

Just as a habit, I always turn mine off after riding including between practice sessions on the track.

• Denn10

Posted June 04, 2007 - 07:37 AM

Totally against the advice of all my buddies, mine stays on unless it's going into extended storage, like more than a few days or so.....

+1 only if im not riding in on a regular basis. The fuel that might evaporate off in a day or so is not even gonne be noticeable to your wallet. I have never seen this cause a problem.

• gabriel

Posted June 04, 2007 - 08:34 AM

I turn mine off but only becuase i am anal about things...i really don't believe you have to unless you are having carb float problems (old bikes who's owners don't maintain the carb).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.