My 04 yz450 is popping

8 replies to this topic
  • GENE426

Posted June 02, 2007 - 03:21 PM

My 04 yz450 is popping, so I took it in and had the valves check and they were good and right in spec, he said he adjusted the air mixture and that it is because I run VP103 gas
is this true
can I just have it jetted and gix the prob or could it be something else?????????????????????????

• KJ790

Posted June 02, 2007 - 03:31 PM

You need to change the jetting as the weather changes. You cannot just "get it jetted" and call it good. Jetting needs to be adjusted all the time. The fuel screw should be adjusted every ride. The main jet should be changed at about 10-15 degree intervals of temperature. It is very likely that the bike was popping because it was a little lean. It could also be that the pilot jet got a little gummed from the race gas and was partially plugged, causing it to run lean.

• timrm85

Posted June 02, 2007 - 03:39 PM

usley when the bike starts to pop it means the botom end is stuffed

• KJ790

Posted June 02, 2007 - 04:59 PM

I don't know what that is supposed to mean. Maybe the rings are shot and you are getting pressure in your bottom end from blowby? If that is the case then it would not cause it to pop. Popping is most commonly caused by lean jetting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 02, 2007 - 05:06 PM

Read:
http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599
http://www.thumperta...613#post3350613

• GENE426

Posted June 03, 2007 - 05:10 AM

That a 2 stroke not a 4

You FRIGGIN trying to scare me?????????????????????:thumbsup: :) :ride:

• GENE426

Posted June 03, 2007 - 05:12 AM

You need to change the jetting as the weather changes. You cannot just "get it jetted" and call it good. Jetting needs to be adjusted all the time. The fuel screw should be adjusted every ride. The main jet should be changed at about 10-15 degree intervals of temperature. It is very likely that the bike was popping because it was a little lean. It could also be that the pilot jet got a little gummed from the race gas and was partially plugged, causing it to run lean.

im in Texas and its is Hot then hotter then REAL hot
and it has been just fine for 2 years so I think the jet is clogged (I HOPE)

• Ga426owner

Posted June 03, 2007 - 07:36 AM

I am sure he is kidding.....
That VP103 is unneccesary to run (your bike does not need the higher octane)and will make your jetting more difficult. But if you are dead set on running it....make sure you are jetted correctly.

• GENE426

Posted June 04, 2007 - 07:47 AM

Turned Out My Main Jet Was Clogged

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.