Honda Wins Baja 500 Again!

45 replies to this topic
  • akuleboat

Posted June 02, 2007 - 02:42 PM

1X first to finish with 7X - Chris Blais KTM second - about 25 minutes behind 1X. Good job Honda - KTM was a very strong team with a strong bike.

• Supplicate

Posted June 02, 2007 - 02:43 PM

Good to see that Blais is still puttin the pressure on 1x

• Potts228

Posted June 02, 2007 - 03:15 PM

1X first to finish with 7X - Chris Blais KTM second - about 25 minutes behind 1X. Good job Honda - KTM was a very strong team with a strong bike.

7x had mechanicals and had to find a rear brake pedal. Not sure how much time this cost them.

• Timmerz

Posted June 02, 2007 - 05:57 PM

Please educate a noob? Was the Honda a 650R?

• Potts228

Posted June 02, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Please educate a noob? Was the Honda a 650R?

No... Honda has moved on to the 450X and no longer supports the 650R.

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 02, 2007 - 07:08 PM

What happened to Childress?

• Potts228

Posted June 02, 2007 - 07:28 PM

What happened to Childress?

Still don't no!!! People have been looking for 15x but no word that I have heard. The Rally Track site didn't work since checkpoint 1 so not sure if they made it beyond that. People were asking for status on 15x through The Weatherman but no one came back with any information.

They had the fastest time to checkpoint 1 so they were on pace for sure!

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted June 03, 2007 - 06:16 PM

Childress was on FIRE as usual.
By Mile 78 Childress was physically 2nd bike. Someplace before Mile 150 the word was that they had run out of gas.
After that they were waaay back.
Apparently Childress was in Valley Trinidad getting a few stitches in his arm too (not a big deal).

• dzrtrat1111

Posted June 03, 2007 - 07:12 PM

not to diss honda, because i own a xr and love it, but put any of the 1x team riders on another brand bike, yam ktm suz ect.. and you will have that brand now winning the baja 500 and others! so until cambell or hengeveld get offered enough money to race another brand, it will be no surprise that "honda has won again".

• akuleboat

Posted June 04, 2007 - 10:28 AM

To a certain extent that is true, but several Honda 1X Baja winners have joined other teams only to lose to Honda. Look at Chris Blais and Andy Grider on KTM's and Mike Childress on a Suzuki. All have teamed up with other teams only to lose to Honda.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dzrtrat1111

Posted June 04, 2007 - 02:28 PM

but you still have the riders who have won the most baja's on honda's. my point was take the best rider and put him on another brand and he will most likely win.

• dezracerE

Posted June 04, 2007 - 02:48 PM

Honda has it wired.
Very tough to beat.
KTM threw in the kitchen sink this go-round and still a bridesmaid.
Experience is key in Baja.
Even if Team Green gets back into it- they will have another learning curve.

• rmhrc630

Posted June 04, 2007 - 07:17 PM

Honda has it wired.
Very tough to beat.
KTM threw in the kitchen sink this go-round and still a bridesmaid.
Experience is key in Baja.
Even if Team Green gets back into it- they will have another learning curve.

They certainly have it wired NOW.

I recall when Team Green used to hand Honda their asses every year until they pulled out due to Danny's death.

Honda used to blow their bikes up trying to beat team green

That KTM only has about 150 miles on ity beforee they raced it. You'd think KTM would have planned a little more but I think they'll nab the 1000 this year.

• luissuperdog

Posted June 05, 2007 - 01:32 PM

I think that KTM has a great team the only problem is that they are not getting a 100% comitment to Baja races. It takes more than just show up with a great team and race. They need to take more time prerunning and getting to know baja. Also they need to come and race with what is been proved to work. The Baja 250 Pearson got the new oil cooler and looks like that was the problem. As Andy said if you drop that bike you will mess up the oil cooler. They where just coming from beating Honda in the USA.
So you would think that they were ready to win. this race they did had a good team and looks like they crashed too many times.

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted June 05, 2007 - 01:53 PM

Ya know what I think?
Honda was putting all their eggs in 1 basket the past couple races by entering only 1 bike and seeing KTM and Childress trying to take them (honda) down. That was a HUGE risk but they pulled it off both times (but they did run behind in both races).

KTM had David down for 2 races and they had Coma and Despres in Baja quite a bit months before the 500 getting used to how things work down there.
KTM isn't messing around.
That new 690 KTM could very well be tough to beat at this years 1000.

I'd be more worried now if I was Honda.

• rmhrc630

Posted June 05, 2007 - 02:07 PM

Ya know what I think?
Honda was putting all their eggs in 1 basket the past couple races by entering only 1 bike and seeing KTM and Childress trying to take them (honda) down. That was a HUGE risk but they pulled it off both times (but they did run behind in both races).

KTM had David down for 2 races and they had Coma and Despres in Baja quite a bit months before the 500 getting used to how things work down there.
KTM isn't messing around.
That new 690 KTM could very well be tough to beat at this years 1000.

I'd be more worried now if I was Honda.

BajaBound

I read that KTM only did about 150 miles of prerrunning on this bike?

• PowerCell

Posted June 05, 2007 - 02:46 PM

BajaBound

I read that KTM only did about 150 miles of prerrunning on this bike?

This sounds like BMW all over again...

• ogrider650

Posted June 05, 2007 - 02:54 PM

from the d37 website the ktm's bike were stuck in customs for quite a while for some epa crap and they only had a couple days to work on the race bikes.
http://www.district3...ead.php?t=14923
they were winning until they had brake problems, mikey was also beating honda on his suszuki until he ran out of gas and then his bike had problems
http://www.district3...ead.php?t=14914
makes you think if those (baja untested)bikes had been working honda wouldn't have won. maybe they'll re-think keeping the brp to race the 690?

• dezracerE

Posted June 05, 2007 - 03:27 PM

They certainly have it wired NOW.

I recall when Team Green used to hand Honda their asses every year until they pulled out due to Danny's death.

Honda used to blow their bikes up trying to beat team green

That KTM only has about 150 miles on ity beforee they raced it. You'd think KTM would have planned a little more but I think they'll nab the 1000 this year.

You could go even further back with HUSKY.
Honda has it wired NOW.
Team Green would not just step back in and dominate.
KTM's bike came from the Dakar program.
The bugs should have been out.
Honda dominated with their 450X right out of the box- even to my surprise.
If you were in Vegas- would you bet on KTM for the 1k.
I would not.
I would not race a KTM in Baja as an amateur.
RED baby RED.:thumbsup:

• Supplicate

Posted June 05, 2007 - 03:37 PM

you know... it makes me wonder what exactly the Honda boys are running in that "450" :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.