Changing Oil when you can't start it...

3 replies to this topic
  • SV650WR450F

Posted June 01, 2007 - 05:09 PM

It is necessary to warm the engine up before changing the oil?:thumbsup:

I'm waiting on my forks and shock to come back from Factory Connection and I'd like to go ahead and change my oil while the front wheel is off (know what I mean?). The air filter and battery are off right now, I guess I could hook those up temporarily, but I'm too lazy...:)

• farkawi

Posted June 02, 2007 - 05:21 AM

It just takes longer to drain when cold. No big deal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • waynus

Posted June 02, 2007 - 09:58 PM

Some 'experts' reckon that the contaminants can settle in places where they wont be drained.
Probably best to drain the oil out of a recently run motor so that they are still in suspension.

• farkawi

Posted June 03, 2007 - 05:58 AM

Yeah, there are a few "experts" out there. I got the opinion that it's ok to drain a cold engine from one of them who now builds superbike and super motard engines for Graves Motorsports (Yamaha) team. His theory was that warming up the engine just runs all the shrapnel and contaminants back thru the engine one more time. I guess it's all a matter of which expert opinion you choose to believe.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.