What's up with Honda??? Customer relations sucks.

12 replies to this topic
  • XR650RBill

Posted June 01, 2007 - 03:19 PM

I just installed a new Dakar dual sport kit, MT21 tires and a Trail Tech Vapor computer on my xr650r. Oregon is fairly tough to deal with regarding off road bike registration but the local DMV told me that all I need to get my bike titled other than what I've already done "$730. bucks" is a letter from Honda stating that the bike can be modified to meet fed safety and emission standards. To my surprise, After several phone calls to various departments at Honda, no one would issue a letter for me. All it has to say is that the bike can be modified to meet these standards, not that it comes from the factory that way.
Anyone have any ideas how to get around this?
Got any pull at Honda?
Thanks Bill

• needsprayer

Posted June 01, 2007 - 03:41 PM

Go to another DMV and hope to get a friendlier agent.

• captb

Posted June 01, 2007 - 04:10 PM

Put up a post everywhere you can someone may have a copy of letter they used.

• XR650RBill

Posted June 01, 2007 - 06:26 PM

Yeah, I'm just kind of ticked off at Honda I guess. I've got a buddy that is in the same process but with a KLX. He made one phone call to a Kaw Distributor and they faxed him the letter that he needed. No big deal.

• Motosprtman

Posted June 02, 2007 - 06:48 AM

I just installed a new Dakar dual sport kit, MT21 tires and a Trail Tech Vapor computer on my xr650r. Oregon is fairly tough to deal with regarding off road bike registration but the local DMV told me that all I need to get my bike titled other than what I've already done "$730. bucks" is a letter from Honda stating that the bike can be modified to meet fed safety and emission standards. To my surprise, After several phone calls to various departments at Honda, no one would issue a letter for me. All it has to say is that the bike can be modified to meet these standards, not that it comes from the factory that way.
Anyone have any ideas how to get around this?
Got any pull at Honda?
Thanks Bill

Unfortunately - we live in a world fraught with CYA, (cover your ass syndrome) and no one has the balls to step up to the plate anymore. Honda seems to suffer from this. They call it "a liability issue".

• cleonard

Posted June 04, 2007 - 08:52 AM

It's the emissions standard that your bike does not meet. The safety stuff is just a dual sport kit. The emissions can't be fixed quite so easliy. The emissions standard for on road is much stricter than off road.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted June 04, 2007 - 09:25 AM

Forget about the letter--you'll never get one. I've been through something similar here in AZ with a grey market bike. Damn thing even had a CA title and plate (if you can believe that) but AZ wouldn't touch it because of the non-conforming VIN. After a few months I lost the will to fight and gave up.

The bike sat in my garage untouched for 5 years because I couldn't stand to even think about it. The whole thing just made me so angry. Eventually I sold it and am over it now, although I still have a strong distaste for all things DMV.

As mentioned, trying to find a friendly DMV agent is probably your best bet. I don't know how thoroughly computerized their operations are, but I know in AZ once they make a record of an attempt to title/liscense/whatever then anyone who pulls up that VIN will see notes from past events. That hurt my cause in my case--I never got a "fresh start".

Personally, I wouldn't blame Honda for not helping. I could see how issuing letters like that would open up a huge can of worms. If they issue one letter then they might as well open up a new department for handling all the thousands of vehicles hoping be converted for use in places they were never designed to be. It sucks on a one-by-one level but the big picture rules the roost.

Be angry at the DMV, be angry at Honda for not building us a better street legal dual sport, but don't be angry about the letter.

$0.02

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 04, 2007 - 09:29 AM

Fake your own letter.

• redrdrs

Posted June 04, 2007 - 09:33 AM

Title it in idaho... you can get a plate for anything here!

• XR650RBill

Posted June 04, 2007 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for all the help and advice. I pulled up hondas web site and found a simple statement regarding emissions that they had on their site. I printed a copy and stapled it to the certification of modification the dmv gave me. This particular office glanced at and gave me my tags. Thank the Lord.
So now I'm cruizing dual sport street legal.
I typed in a search for "honda motorcycle emissions report" I spent quite a bit of time scanning over their stuff before I finally located something I thought would pass. I didn't save the url. The statement that I found was just their 2007 emissions report. In Oregon you have to fill out one of two forms that you download from the DMV web site. One is form "7220" that is for a dealership that is dual sporting a bike from their inventory. The other form "7286" is the one that I used, and it is to be filled out by the owner of the bike, for instance say you bought your bike used like I did. This is the Oregon DMV URL that has those forms if you are from here and need them.

http://www.oregon.go....e_import.shtml

I just took hondas emission report and stapled it to the form 7286 that I filled out. Either it was what they wanted, or more likely the case, they didn't know any better than to accept it.

Good luck, and God Bless.
Bill

• exaresix

Posted June 04, 2007 - 02:02 PM

Link doesn't work.

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 04, 2007 - 06:30 PM

You kinda faked it. :thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted June 04, 2007 - 07:05 PM

Nice...glad it worked out for you.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.