How often should you change spark plug?

24 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted May 31, 2007 - 06:24 PM

I was wondering how often one should change their sparkplug?>>> I have had mine in for about three months now and it has 8 races on it along with practice days also. Should I change it out every so often or leave it in until it fouls? My bike 06 450 is running great so should I just leave it in or put a new one in it?

• 642MX

Posted May 31, 2007 - 07:24 PM

I put one in once a year, which is also when I check my valves. I use the goofy looking CR8EK also.

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2007 - 07:39 PM

When change mine when I can't remember when I put the last one in. If I were running a serious race bike, I'd probably use 2-3 per year, just to be sure I had no problems with it.

• Garett742

Posted May 31, 2007 - 08:14 PM

when your bike wont start

• Idaho_Stas

Posted May 31, 2007 - 08:24 PM

when your bike wont start

X2 :thumbsup:

• BergArabia

Posted June 01, 2007 - 03:17 AM

Had over 100 hours on mine and no change of plug yet..
Still starts after 2 kicks so yeah when it doesn't start I would put in another.

• 642MX

Posted June 01, 2007 - 05:42 AM

The problem with using a plug until it won't start is a worn plug with too much gap will put too much burden on your ignition system. For what the plug costs, it should be changed at least yearly.

• stillsun

Posted June 01, 2007 - 06:45 AM

The problem with using a plug until it won't start is a worn plug with too much gap will put too much burden on your ignition system. For what the plug costs, it should be changed at least yearly.

One year on a bike plug is probably equivalent to 1/4 year in an automobile... I bet if you measured the gap on the bike plug after a year of normal riding (once a week for a few hours, like the majority of the people who ride) it would be just fine. Granted they are cheap to begin with so why not...

J

• 642MX

Posted June 01, 2007 - 08:08 AM

One year on a bike plug is probably equivalent to 1/4 year in an automobile...

I don't think thats an accurate statement. I guess we could do an experiment to find out when the gap goes out of range....

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2007 - 08:24 AM

One year on a bike plug is probably equivalent to 1/4 year in an automobile... I bet if you measured the gap on the bike plug after a year of normal riding (once a week for a few hours, like the majority of the people who ride) it would be just fine. Granted they are cheap to begin with so why not...

J

I don't think thats an accurate statement. I guess we could do an experiment to find out when the gap goes out of range....

I have to agree. The plugs in my Chevy Pickup will go to 40-50K easily. Bikes are much harder on them, and the wear at the electrode gap is far from the only issue. Plugs subjected to hard acceleration on a regular basis build up a glaze on the insulator that eventually becomes conductive, and is very difficult to remove. Plus the deterioration of the internal resistor, considering the plug is fired nearly 7 times as often per hour of operation.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted June 01, 2007 - 01:31 PM

I have to agree. The plugs in my Chevy Pickup will go to 40-50K easily. Bikes are much harder on them, and the wear at the electrode gap is far from the only issue. Plugs subjected to hard acceleration on a regular basis build up a glaze on the insulator that eventually becomes conductive, and is very difficult to remove. Plus the deterioration of the internal resistor, considering the plug is fired nearly 7 times as often per hour of operation.

Not to mention the vibration the plug is subjected to!

• 2wheels-drz

Posted June 01, 2007 - 03:15 PM

im pretty sure my 04 has only ever had two in its life...but have seen yamaha's which need a plug every race day....must be bad jetting. still better than need a set of valves like a honda....

• 426boy

Posted June 01, 2007 - 06:59 PM

after i have been riding hard for a few days straight, if my bike sits for a few days then it sometimes fouls the plug, so it gets a new one when that happens

• Garett742

Posted August 27, 2007 - 11:55 PM

leave it

• WB450

Posted August 28, 2007 - 07:31 AM

X2 :thumbsup:

I ran in to that last night. After a while of garage starts (hot here) it wouldn't start last night. I pulled the tank and changed it. The old one was kinda rusty and a little black. I put it all back together and it started right up.

What are you guys carrying on the trail for plug wrench? Where did you get it?

• rmracer27

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:24 PM

I change mine everytime I check the valves which is around 15 to 20 hours.

• Thomas6x

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:13 PM

[quote name='Garett742']when your bike wont start[/QUOTE

X3 :p

We raced our yz400 for 3 years hard,broke every thing else.but never changed the plug,kept the jetting right.Had a drag bike that had to have new ones every 5 or 6 passes, would just start missing.But have never changed one in our 4 stk dirt bikes since we started in 2001.:applause:

• 642MX

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:23 PM

I got my plug wrench from Yamaha. It came with the bike....

• Butta

Posted August 29, 2007 - 08:15 PM

I change mine when I start feeling guilty, usually about 50 hours.......thanks to this thread, I think it's about time now....

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:59 AM

Motion Pro plug wrench for the YZF. Nice little tool; rubber lined socket, comes with its own swivel extension, and the extension gives you three different options as to what to use to drive it with.

Local Bike Shop item.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.