Rev. limit on 450

17 replies to this topic
  • kanyonkritter

Posted May 31, 2007 - 12:32 PM

What is the rev. limit on a yzf 450?

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2007 - 03:11 PM

11,500 to the best of my knowledge. The power drops of pretty hard at 10,500, so there's not really any excuse to hit the limiter.

• MacJammer

Posted May 31, 2007 - 04:11 PM

That is a big 10-4 grayracer. I was so used to 2 strokes when I switched to my 450 that I was always bumping the rev. limiter. There is no more power to a certain point. Probably around 10,500.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 31, 2007 - 06:11 PM

11,500 to the best of my knowledge. The power drops of pretty hard at 10,500, so there's not really any excuse to hit the limiter.

Well!.... Do the pros ever ride in the rev limit?......Cause I have noticed when at the track on race days while watching the pros race the rider out front is screaming!!!!:thumbsup: When he comes by his bike is making a poping sound and kinda cutting out,is this where he is hitting the rev limiter?

• Markopolo400

Posted May 31, 2007 - 06:17 PM

Yes, most pros will ping their bikes off the rev limiter when they land, thats what the stuttering sound is.

But as stated above, it isn't smart to ride it at the limiter all the time. It doesn't make good power up there, and it will also wear the engine out much quicker.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 31, 2007 - 06:37 PM

Yes, most pros will ping their bikes off the rev limiter when they land, thats what the stuttering sound is.

But as stated above, it isn't smart to ride it at the limiter all the time. It doesn't make good power up there, and it will also wear the engine out much quicker.

Well at the track the other day I was going to try something, so I was going down a straight part of the track and I was going to see if I could get my bike to hit the rev limit but I couldnt:crazy: . I was in third gear and I was going down the straight had the throttle WO but it did not stutter. The straight was roughly about 100 ft long maybe a little more but I guess it wasnt long enough for it to cut out in third but I had it held WO in third for about 4 seconds and it was turning loose some rpms:eek: but it didnt cut out none. How fast does one have to go in order to make it stutter?:thumbsup:

• kanyonkritter

Posted June 01, 2007 - 05:10 AM

Thanks guys this is what I believed. A knuckle head of a "mechanic" was attempting to convince me that the redline was 8500.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2007 - 07:56 AM

:thumbsup: NOT! The peak horsepower is right at about 8500.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=316355

• sprint4425

Posted June 01, 2007 - 10:13 AM

Well at the track the other day I was going to try something, so I was going down a straight part of the track and I was going to see if I could get my bike to hit the rev limit but I couldnt:crazy: . I was in third gear and I was going down the straight had the throttle WO but it did not stutter. The straight was roughly about 100 ft long maybe a little more but I guess it wasnt long enough for it to cut out in third but I had it held WO in third for about 4 seconds and it was turning loose some rpms:eek: but it didnt cut out none. How fast does one have to go in order to make it stutter?:thumbsup:

The only time i have hit the rev limiter on my bike is 3rd gear pinned up a very large hill i was trying to climb. I needed to keep the RPM's up in order to make it the last 1/4 of the way up the hill, so i just pinned it and kept climbing. Thats the only time my bike has ever really revved all the way out.

I was up in Crystal Valley which is located just outside of Pentwater, Michigan. I played cat and mouse with a DNR for a few hours and im pretty sure i hit it a few times during that day.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Markopolo400

Posted June 01, 2007 - 02:15 PM

I hit the rev limiter on my 400 all the time.

I race, and I still haven't ditched my bad habit from my 80cc days of just revving my bikes to the moon.

• 2wheels-drz

Posted June 01, 2007 - 03:05 PM

:thumbsup: NOT! The peak horsepower is right at about 8500.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=316355

rev limter?? my bike knows it pretty! lol thats supermojo for ya, harsh on engines. my dyno sheets looks nothing like that, my peak hp is around 10000 and it over drops of very little..l what does that mean? all that has been done is a high comp piston, gas flowed head, leo vince ti system?? and its an 04, and hits alot harder than most other 04's i have riden..

and one more question, why don't the manufactures set the rev limiter at the point of peak hp?? cause that when its to the stop you know your in sweet spot.??

• tnl

Posted June 01, 2007 - 03:09 PM

Try it over a large jump in mid air. Ya won't need 100 feet for that.

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2007 - 04:01 PM

and one more question, why don't the manufactures set the rev limiter at the point of peak hp?? cause that when its to the stop you know your in sweet spot.??

That wouldn't be very conducive to good performance, now would it? An engine will pull well somewhat beyond its power peak, as you are certainly aware. But a stocker, or most with the typical mods done to a dirt bike, is really pretty well finished doing anything interesting by the time it gets to 10,500 or 11,000.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 01, 2007 - 04:15 PM

I hit the rev limiter on my 400 all the time.

I race, and I still haven't ditched my bad habit from my 80cc days of just revving my bikes to the moon.

What do you do?....Just leave it in 1st gear and hold it there!:thumbsup: cause I cant get mine to hit it:crazy: I ride pretty hard and seems like when Iam racing I just cant get it to cut out. I race with the bike in second and third and never in fourth. I guess I'll just have to leave it in second and hold it WO to get it to stutter:eek:

• 2wheels-drz

Posted June 01, 2007 - 05:14 PM

That wouldn't be very conducive to good performance, now would it? An engine will pull well somewhat beyond its power peak, as you are certainly aware. But a stocker, or most with the typical mods done to a dirt bike, is really pretty well finished doing anything interesting by the time it gets to 10,500 or 11,000.

hmm ok but would you not be best shifting up a gear as soon as you pass the point of peak power, in order to stay at an area of peak power? or would the gear ratios mean you would be shifting up into an area of less power, than if you rev'ed to the higher rate?

i no i shift gear soon as my motor feels that its just making noise not power, and generally the only i hit the limter is either down shift many gears say 4th to 1st(slipper clutch on its way so should stop that) or on a long straight in top gear. think i may have just opened up a can of worms here.....

• Markopolo400

Posted June 01, 2007 - 05:20 PM

What do you do?....Just leave it in 1st gear and hold it there!:) cause I cant get mine to hit it:crazy: I ride pretty hard and seems like when Iam racing I just cant get it to cut out. I race with the bike in second and third and never in fourth. I guess I'll just have to leave it in second and hold it WO to get it to stutter:eek:

What do I do? I twist the throttle all the way, then hold it there. :ride:

But seriously, that's just how I ride. And I don't leave it in 1st, I use 2nd, 3rd, and 4th also when I race, I just wait for the bike to stop pulling before I shift, and my 400 pulls all the way to the limiter. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2007 - 08:32 PM

hmm ok but would you not be best shifting up a gear as soon as you pass the point of peak power, in order to stay at an area of peak power? or would the gear ratios mean you would be shifting up into an area of less power, than if you rev'ed to the higher rate?

i no i shift gear soon as my motor feels that its just making noise not power, and generally the only i hit the limter is either down shift many gears say 4th to 1st(slipper clutch on its way so should stop that) or on a long straight in top gear. think i may have just opened up a can of worms here.....

Not entirely sure what you're getting at, or that it's different from what I've said.

When to shift depends on your transmission layout and the power curve of the engine. If you're looking at it from the standpoint of accelerating through the gears, your goal is to maximize the amount of power that's delivered during your run through each gear. Drag racers have a general rule where the shift is made near the power peak, and the engine will fall back to just at or a bit above the torque peak. It will vary, of course.

And the realities of motor racing (other than drag racing) sometimes demand the engine be run well beyond the power peak to avoid an extra shift or two for expediency.

But in any case, the last thing you'd want is the engine shutting down right in the middle of things, so the rev limit is placed at a point beyond peak power, but where the engine is still mechanically safe.

• 2wheels-drz

Posted June 02, 2007 - 06:16 AM

Not entirely sure what you're getting at, or that it's different from what I've said.

When to shift depends on your transmission layout and the power curve of the engine. If you're looking at it from the standpoint of accelerating through the gears, your goal is to maximize the amount of power that's delivered during your run through each gear. Drag racers have a general rule where the shift is made near the power peak, and the engine will fall back to just at or a bit above the torque peak. It will vary, of course.

And the realities of motor racing (other than drag racing) sometimes demand the engine be run well beyond the power peak to avoid an extra shift or two for expediency.

But in any case, the last thing you'd want is the engine shutting down right in the middle of things, so the rev limit is placed at a point beyond peak power, but where the engine is still mechanically safe.

ah yes, i relize now.....i have been an idiot:eek: completely missed the point of expediency, and avoiding an extra gear change etc... i was kinda looking at it from a standing start/drag racing point of view....

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.