What gas for stock XR650R

7 replies to this topic
  • 4Takt

Posted May 31, 2007 - 08:34 AM

Hi, my bike is an uncorked, etc. XR650R (stock piston/compression).

I've always used premium gas, but on my last ride I was too lazy to go get gas so I filled her up from that lawnmower can, which contained regular.

I noticed no difference. Wasn't pinging either.

So am I wasting money with the premium stuff?

• martinfan30

Posted May 31, 2007 - 08:46 AM

a

as long as you dont get any noise, run it!

• drop

Posted May 31, 2007 - 03:25 PM

Anyone else run regular without issues? I can't get premium in my town.

• Mescalero

Posted May 31, 2007 - 03:34 PM

No worries......These things were built to run on 87 all day.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted May 31, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Honda recommends gasoline with a 92 (R+M/2) octane rating for the XR650R. I run 91 as there is no higher alternative in my area.

Lots of environmental factors play a role in an engine's minimum required octane rating. What works fine for one guy might not work fine for another because of those factors. For example, trail riding through the mountains won't require as much deto protection from the fuel as tearing up Glamis-type dunes in April.

If 87 shows no signs of detonatoin then there ya go. But be on the lookout for it when you encounter conditions that favor deto until you're confident it's not going to happen under any circumstances you'll encounter. Conditions that favor deto: low elevations, high ambient temperatures, high engine temperatures, low humidity, wide open throttle operation (i.e. high manifold pressures), high engine loads, lean jetting, and probably some other things I'm not thinking of at the moment.

• drop

Posted May 31, 2007 - 06:08 PM

Sweet. I'll try 87 from the pump then. Hopefully no more jerry cans for me.

• captb

Posted May 31, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Mine is ok on reg but I run Shell V-Power just for the clean burn additives or Chevron with Techron has all the good additives allso my valves are still spotless after many miles.

• LRPx

Posted June 01, 2007 - 06:43 PM

2002 XR650R Street Legal (Creator of the dust cloud)

The bigger they are the harder they fall .)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.