Hawaii photos for all you trail riders

13 replies to this topic
  • TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted February 12, 2002 - 05:02 PM

Here's some cool photos of trail riding in Hawaii. Click Below

Torturesphotos@msn

• omnivortex

Posted February 12, 2002 - 06:39 PM

Interesting Photos...see you are on the Big Island? Looks like you dont get to see 2nd gear much.. Pretty intense terrain.

Pau fo now.

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted February 12, 2002 - 06:49 PM

Originally posted by omnivortex:
Interesting Photos...see you are on the Big Island? Looks like you dont get to see 2nd gear much.. Pretty intense terrain.

Pau fo now.

Actually this is all on Oahu. The terrain in the pics are just part of the day. We have lots of fast trails too but everybody is hauling so I can't stop to take pics!! By the end of the day most guys are toast...

• #1_Hit-man

Posted February 12, 2002 - 06:58 PM

TC, Very nice pics, wish I could make it there for a ride or two or three. :) ~Hitman~

• huskyrider

Posted February 12, 2002 - 07:26 PM

You guys have really got the life!
Living on and trail riding the Big Island must be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I took a weeks vacation there after Thanksgiving,
tried to find an outfitter, for rental and guide service, to have offroad fun but could only come up with an ATV company that offered halfday rides (on what looked like 100cc four wheelers) NO THANKS.
I picked up a FatBoy, for the week, from DJ's in Kona and had the time of my life riding the island. How come all I could think of was the dirt bike riding I was missing while I was there. I knew that it would be nothing but snotty trails and downhill switchbacks just like your pics showed. I went up Saddle and rode up to the observatory (don't tell DJ's) and froze my butt off.
Where did you shoot the pics at? It looked to me alot like the northeast side of the island.
You know a resourceful rider with a few late model dirt bikes could probably make a fair living outfitting for vacationers like myself.
Have fun in the sun and post some more pics of your future rides.

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted February 12, 2002 - 07:37 PM

Sorry Husky Rider,

None of the photos were taken on the Big Island. They were all taken on Oahu, the main island. The Big Island does have some incredible terrain as you seen but there are just a few hardcore guys there. We used to race the Mauna Kea 200 but that race is over. I've thought of the tour thing a lot in the past but liability insurance is insane! Plus, you trespass almost everywhere you ride here so doing it legal turns an awesome ride into a foo foo ride. We ride where we want, when we want. Only in Hawaii!!

• John_H

Posted February 12, 2002 - 09:09 PM

Hey tortures,

You do any diving? I think our variety of riding is much better, but we're land locked here and I have to take big trips to do the ocean thing. Made one dive when I was there, but do most of my trips in the Bahama's.

Thanks for the photos.

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: John H ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted February 13, 2002 - 01:52 AM

Oh man that looks fun! Anyone end up puking in their helmets? Who is the guy in a t-shirt and no gloves? Wall of Voo-doo, that is my achillies heel. Off camber single track with huge drops to the bottom. Gives me the willies everytime. I'll ride just about anything but that just puckers me for some reason. One of these days I hope to get out there. But I'll probably just sit on the beach for two weeks. Don't get much shore time here in CO.

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted February 13, 2002 - 05:14 AM

Originally posted by John H:
Hey tortures,

You do any diving? I think our variety of riding is much better, but we're land locked here and I have to take big trips to do the ocean thing. Made one dive when I was there, but do most of my trips in the Bahama's.

Thanks for the photos.

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: John H ]

I used to dive and spear fish to eat. Haven't done it for a few years. Our variety of terrain would blow your mind. I took these pics cause it's the only place the guys aren't flying!

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted February 13, 2002 - 05:21 AM

Originally posted by Dougie:
Oh man that looks fun! Anyone end up puking in their helmets? Who is the guy in a t-shirt and no gloves? Wall of Voo-doo, that is my achillies heel. Off camber single track with huge drops to the bottom. Gives me the willies everytime. I'll ride just about anything but that just puckers me for some reason. One of these days I hope to get out there. But I'll probably just sit on the beach for two weeks. Don't get much shore time here in CO.

Ha Ha Ha Ha! Yes, people puke but mostly out of their helmets! Off cambers are a mind thing. If you put the same off camber 5 feet off the ground you glide across it like nothing. Put that same off camber on the side of a cliff and you can become petrified!! It's a mind game. I know how you feel that's why I ride crazy off cambers all the time now. They just aren't as bad when you do them all the time!!

• omnivortex

Posted February 13, 2002 - 12:17 PM

I used to live in Kailua..
No snow there...Shot with snow is Mauna Kea..
Thats why I said big island.

• Guest__*

Posted February 13, 2002 - 08:27 PM

WOOOOOOOOOWEEEE!!!! :)

• Bryan

Posted February 14, 2002 - 11:40 AM

THOSE PICTURES ARE CRUEL!

I'm going to Maui in May for a honeymoon. But I can't ride because I'll be doing the..., er..., honeymoon thing!

DAMN!

OH MAN! STOP THE HORROR!

:)

Bryan...

• JeffMon

Posted February 15, 2002 - 04:04 PM

I just got back from Oahu. I, like HuskyRider, had enough sitting on the beach and was ready for a ride. I found a great Outfitter for a great price. We had a awesome time.
At first when the outfitter Al, said he had a 2000 XR200, 2002 TTR125L, and a 1998 Sherpa 250, I was bummed. It's not a 426, but my daughter rides a TTR125L, and her and I were going so I thought I could just putt along.
After 5 hours of tight trails, hill climbs, river crossings I was bushed. Having the XR200 worked out great. I was constantly picking the bike up over exposed roots, rocks etc. The trails were varied and the guide let us choose any type of riding we desired. Toturechambers pictures show alot of the tight stuff, but there was also open stuff with views from Sunset Beach to Turtle Bay.
Al was an awesome guide. He wasn't uptight if you dumped his bikes.
Here is the best part. He only charged $150 for a day per bike. That included the bike, gas, pick up at your hotel and return (1 hour drive each way), helmet, boots, gloves, chest protector the works.
He isn't on the web or Yellow Pages. I found him by word of mouth, I have his number somewhere at home. I'll post it if anyone is interested.
I highly recommend it.

Jeff
in So Cal

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.