Lump on inner thigh after crash

17 replies to this topic
  • ulmanb

Posted May 30, 2007 - 07:17 AM

About 4 weeks ago I took a good tumble off of the bike.

At around 40mph hit a stump, stump turned the front end and hit the right bar end on my inner thigh when I went over the bars.

Large bruise in the area for a week or so, limped around for a day or two.

Still have a hard lump about 3/4" diameter where the bar hit the leg.

Will this go away? Should I have it checked out?

• jjgixxer

Posted May 30, 2007 - 08:55 AM

At around 40mph hit a stump, stump turned the front end and hit the right bar end on my inner thigh when I went over the bars.

I have had 2 of these in the past 2 weeks. One was from a wreck at a race a week ago. It went away after 5 days, I got another one sunday from a race smacked a tree and got a bruise/lump on the same leg just a little higher this time. The lump went away after 3 days, bruise is slowly going away.

• ulmanb

Posted May 30, 2007 - 09:48 AM

Mine is just the opposite. The bruise went away after a week, but the lump is still there after 4 weeks. I dont have any pain from it. But have never had anything carry on this long.

• 02YZ426

Posted May 30, 2007 - 01:43 PM

Mine is just the opposite. The bruise went away after a week, but the lump is still there after 4 weeks. I dont have any pain from it. But have never had anything carry on this long.

I got ran into by a 3 wheeler a long time ago.. the front rack left a nasty impression in my right leg. The bruise went away in a week or so, but I had a lump there for a long long time. It took about a year before it started to go away. I was told it was soft tissue damage... maybe thats what you have too. It won't go away overnight and if its not bothering you at all I say just give it time.

• IKE607

Posted May 30, 2007 - 04:43 PM

I had a similar, yet opposite situation. I crashed and there was a rock on the track which I landed on with my thigh right above my kneebrace. I had a nasty bruise that went away in like 5 days, but it also left a, for lack of a better word, dent in my leg. I swear I had that dent in my thigh for 6 months. It was a deep bruise that did soft tissue damage as someone stated above. If there is no pain, as was the case with mine, just leave it. It will eventually go away.....

• Tankz400

Posted May 30, 2007 - 06:12 PM

In my case almost 5 years ago i was working on my bike and it fell over on me and the peg but a dent in my leg and above it there is a lump and it does not hurt but it's still there.
Then like 4 week's ago i cased a douple and went over the bars and landed on my side and elbow and there is a large lump that is hard on the top of my elbow and has not got any smaller.

• Hoffy

Posted May 30, 2007 - 10:36 PM

Its been 7 months and I still have a huge lump. I got squirly in a muddy corner at Hangtown and hit a hay bail which caused me to go ever the bars and down the hill. My bike came don on top of me right on the back of leg just above the knee. My back leg was solid purple from the back of the knee all the way up to my my a$$. After the bruising was gone I was left with a baseball size lump. I thought I tore a muscle loose which balled up, but the doc said it was soft tissue damage and I would have a lump there for life.

• NYMXer

Posted June 01, 2007 - 09:50 AM

I wrecked once and had a lump about the size and shape of a pack of cigarettes on the outside of my thigh. It turned every color of the rainbow and eventually faded away but the lump remained for almost a year. It did eventually go away though. I never had a Dr tell me what it was but I think it was just blood that collected in the injured area and s l o w l y dissolved away and absorbed by the body.

• High Maintenance

Posted June 01, 2007 - 10:07 AM

No tellin, but I did that same thing TWICE in the same spot. I had a huge knot forever, now it is permanently indented there. I did it over two years ago.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redswr

Posted June 02, 2007 - 10:35 PM

my left hip has about a 1.5" lump around the outside from a wreck about a year ago... pretty sure its not gonna go away and i actually had to go up a pant size after the wreck...

• bork

Posted February 01, 2008 - 06:26 AM

Due to unforseen dismount, my inner leg, above knee, is all colored black/blue/purple/yellow etc.. with half of a golf ball lump bulging out, about 5" from crotch on inner thigh. Sounds like, dont worry about it, but any officical word from a doc here?

• 128racecar

Posted February 01, 2008 - 06:42 PM

What you are describing fits best with a traumatic soft tissue hematoma. Basically, a blood vessel or vessels broke and bled into the fat, muscle, or connective tissue. They represent a deep significant injury to the soft tissues. Most persist for months or years. Some eventually disappear over time, while others either scar over or calicify, leaving a permanent lump. The majority don't pose any problems, but some do get in the way of normal movement or function and require removal. Rarely they get infected, requiring drainage. If they fail to decrease in pain or size over time, you should have your doctor check them out. They can vary quite a bit based on the degree of injury and location, so when in doubt, see your doctor.

Marc in Indy:ride:
Board Certified Dermatologist
2000 ATK 250 LQ
1990 KTM 125 EXC

• 450sxs

Posted February 03, 2008 - 08:29 PM

I had one about 2 years ago that was a severe. It took a solid 3 weeks for the bruise to go away and I still have a lump to this day. I still suggest seeing a doctor.

• mxhoney11

Posted February 04, 2008 - 03:19 PM

A rock came off the guy ahead of me and I saw it come right at me. Hit just above my left wrist so hard that I had to pull off and ride slow along the track for a minute shaking my wrist. But I was still able to ride so I figured it wasn't broken. The entire area all the way up to my elbow turned blue, purple, every color. It hurt like hell. Eventually it went away but there was this golf ball size lump just above my wrist that never went away. I was at the Dr. for follow up xrays on something else a couple months later so I had him throw in a couple wrist xrays. Bottom line is that it wasn't broken but that lump may take forever to go away. He said not to worry about it. That was last summer and its still there but its a little smaller.

• bork

Posted February 05, 2008 - 05:57 AM

Thanks guys, words are incouragement. Lump does rub a little when walking, I suppose only time will tell. What really hurt was the 2 days after injury. Everytime I walked, the bruised area felt like it was on fire & skin/muscle ripping when stepping. I even iced it at pm to try & sleep.

• 450sxs

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:59 AM

Try having your wife or whoever rub or massage it also to promote blood flow. I know it hurts, but my wife who is a physical therapist did it every night along with ice for 15 mins then off then repeat 2 more times to help reduce swelling and bruising.

• bork

Posted February 05, 2008 - 11:27 AM

massage bruised area or the lump?

• printgoon

Posted February 28, 2008 - 04:53 AM

Is the burning associated with walking and the bump a pattern other people have had? My get off was hitting the rear of another bike with the silencer catching my inner thigh and pulling me off the bike(My wife was practicing stopping and I WAS NOT practicing paying attention). The first couple of days I had 2 different colors of purple, the one that you associate with a bruise and the other was the color you see on morbidly obese people when they loose circulation. Most of the bruising is gone around the impact area but still have some residual discoloration 4-5" from the impact(accident was over 2 weeks ago), example was hit inside thigh dead center still have discoloration on the inside of my knee and back of my leg. To the doctors out there what are the chances of a blood clot and how is that determination made(asked that 'cause of worried wife)? Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Slam Dunk by dturk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  41 replies
Forums
Photo

Stretch before or after excercise? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 9 replies
Wiki
Core Training - Raines Racing Fitness Fact - last post by Jason Raines

Core Training - Raines Racing Fitness Fact

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF250L- 1, Dog- 0 by razorbill

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.