80 replies to this topic
  • MindBlower

Posted June 01, 2007 - 04:58 AM

KTM are what, a 50th the size, yet they can do it

There you go.

• MindBlower

Posted June 01, 2007 - 04:59 AM

Sounds awesome!!!

Yeh, till you have an electronic glitch out in the boonies and the bike won't run.

• CTXr650L

Posted June 01, 2007 - 02:06 PM

hey rmhrc, where did you get those tank grafics on your xr? :thumbsup: oh yeah, that ktm does look really cool. one of the honda shops by me sells ktm too so i might have to check that thing out.

• rmhrc630

Posted June 01, 2007 - 04:20 PM

Yeh, till you have an electronic glitch out in the boonies and the bike won't run.

Come on!!

And current bikes have no electronics? The XR650L has a well known CDI glitch.

The graphics came on the bike when I got it - they're factory effex graphics.

Seriously some of you guys are so anti technology or development.

Without modern engine management systems we'd all be driving cars that chew up 20 litres/100km.

Cant you see KTM are gonna put Honda in a box and mail their asses to the moon unless HOnda start making some quaility modern big bores.

I really hope that KTM lays a massiuve smackdown on the pissant 450X.

YOu US guys are lucky - you still have the 650R and L to buy new. Here in Australia there are no more 650s and Honda sprout about the fact the 450 is the new big bore.

Imagine how you US guys would feel if told that? You'd probably all march down to HOnda and start demanding some answers.

Unfort Honda has no answers - the answer is becoming more and more KTM.

It saddens me to think Honda wont have a future offroad dirt bike big bore presence but that is the way things are going.

• xr650l bum

Posted June 01, 2007 - 06:16 PM

And current bikes have no electronics? The XR650L has a well known CDI glitch.

YOu US guys are lucky - you still have the 650R and L to buy new. Here in Australia there are no more 650s and Honda sprout about the fact the 450 is the new big bore.

The Cdi glitch that now exsists is usually after the bike is 8-10 years old! Not bad. Many people here in Cali are going orange. We see them overheating and breaking down all the time! Maintenance and durability are still huge issues to be overcome by Ktm.

• hill5150

Posted June 02, 2007 - 12:20 PM

Unfort Honda has no answers - the answer is becoming more and more KTM.

B.S......... KTM has and will always be Honda's bitch. Until KTM reduces their overpriced tag for their electronically failing aftermarket equipped from the factory bike, they will cater to a select few who are willing to pay up for them.......Do the math....Honda OWN'S KTM.........:thumbsup: http://img.photobuck...0/Miles7005.jpg

• BWB63

Posted June 03, 2007 - 01:22 PM

Well, KTM came in second to team honda #1 in the Baja 500.

Jamie Lanari, just got back form Baja with Jimmy Sones. He pitted on 7x. Full factory effort from KTM. The guy with the last name that starts with T from the KTM was there as were 2 riders from Austria. Jimmy knew Chris Blasé, one of the 3 riders. They were in 1st until just before our pit, then got passed by 1x Honda. I understand they finished 2nd overall.

Here are some pictures of the bike:

http://borynack.com/KTM690/index.htm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• rmhrc630

Posted June 03, 2007 - 02:50 PM

BWB - they are awesome shots!!!

I was down here in Australia listening to the weatherman on the internet - truly amazing to hear the race unfold.

Good on HOnda for winning - again!!!!

I just wish KTM would do the "thing" that would enable them to win as well.

Great photos and thanks for sharying here.

BTW - can you guys describe what baja racing is like? Is it hilly? Wet? Dry? Open? Tight?

• PowerCell

Posted June 03, 2007 - 03:07 PM

Can you guys describe what baja racing is like? Is it hilly? Wet? Dry? Open? Tight?

Ummm..... Yes! :thumbsup:

• Maroast

Posted June 03, 2007 - 07:24 PM

BTW - can you guys describe what baja racing is like? Is it hilly? Wet? Dry? Open? Tight?

Rent the movie "dust to glory"....that'll do it for ya

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tomb1957

Posted June 03, 2007 - 08:15 PM

Judging from the rear fender, looks like somebody looped it. Still say it looks like a great ride. I just love a true open class big bore.

• dezracerE

Posted June 04, 2007 - 07:30 AM

Looks like the Rallytrack and taillight got physically removed- Not supposed to continue until repaired- Do you think they will be DQ'd by Score?
They are not Big Red- maybe so.

• jesusgatos

Posted June 05, 2007 - 12:32 PM

BUY the movie "dust to glory"...

Is that KTM carrying fuel below and behind the seat? That's pretty cool.

• BIGGITY

Posted June 08, 2007 - 11:39 AM

Cyril Depress , Chris Blais and the NHH champion. Pretty stacked team. When they passed our set-up (12 miles out from the finish) they were still an hour or so behind. Still pretty impressive for KTM.

The VW's finished strong too. 11 OA. Not bad at all!

• texrider

Posted June 08, 2007 - 02:21 PM

Is that KTM carrying fuel below and behind the seat? That's pretty cool.

From what I understand it's a 5 gallon tank that runs from in front down under the seat and kinda is the rear fender support etc.

With a little prep time and couple races to get things sorted the 1000 might be real interesting this year. :thumbsup:

• weskc35k

Posted September 08, 2007 - 07:55 PM

Is the engine an LC4 derivative?

• bosshog

Posted September 09, 2007 - 08:10 AM

Is the engine an LC4 derivative?

I wondered this aswell. If so I'm not to excited about it.

I too hope the 450 gets beat so they'll have to rethink the whole big bore issue again.

• Old Dog

Posted September 09, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Is it just me, or do all the new KTMs look like shiat? :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm just old school, but I like there to be a height difference between the seat and the gas tank. :ride: Not only does it help keep you from going over the bars, it also helps with balance to have a seat that is lower than the farking gas tank. It'll be a frosty day in hell before I sell my Xr650L and buy one of those mofo ugly, uncomfortable, unyeildly KTMs, :bonk:

• rmhrc630

Posted September 09, 2007 - 08:22 PM

Is it just me, or do all the new KTMs look like shiat? :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm just old school, but I like there to be a height difference between the seat and the gas tank. :ride: Not only does it help keep you from going over the bars, it also helps with balance to have a seat that is lower than the farking gas tank. It'll be a frosty day in hell before I sell my Xr650L and buy one of those mofo ugly, uncomfortable, unyeildly KTMs, :bonk:

They're called modern ergos and yes Honda has them - on their 450R. ON most modern bikes the seat is very very flat - even out back.

My 628 feels like a bathtub compared to my 450R - 450R is much easier to maneuvre.

Posted Image

• zrxer

Posted September 10, 2007 - 05:33 AM

Well, you all can have your "modern ergos". I'm with Old Dog on this. I can't stand that flat as a board look. It just looks too "industrial" to me, kinda like a yard tool.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.