Chain adjustment problems on DRZ400

5 replies to this topic
  • nsxdude

Posted May 29, 2007 - 03:42 PM

Anyone else have problems adjusting the chain tension on there DRZ?
I have a DRZ400S with Excel rims (supermoto setup) and I have had a lot of problems getting the chain adjusted. It seems like the axle continues to slip thus my chain tension gets REAL lose. On my sportbike I had a bolt that youused to adject the tension, on the DRZ they have a built in tension controller that does not seems to work very well. Am I missing something? Is there a trick to getting this to stay? I am using 42 lbs/torque per the DRZ manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

• Kicks

Posted May 29, 2007 - 03:48 PM

Is the slip after riding, or is this a problem with setting the chain tension prior to riding?

Kev

• Neil Claydon

Posted May 29, 2007 - 03:52 PM

The S tensioner works fine, provided you do it properly;)
Once you have the tension right, and before doing the axle nut up, you must push the wheel forward so the serration's on the adjuster cams locate on each of the to pegs in the swing arm, one each side.
Important, while doing the nut up (right side) you need to hold the axle (bolt) on the left side to stop it turning, if you fail to do this the adjuster cam will let the tension off.
Neil. :) :ride: :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sryder

Posted May 29, 2007 - 05:41 PM

Anyone else have problems adjusting the chain tension on there DRZ?
...I am using 42 lbs/torque per the DRZ manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

I believe proper torque is 72.5 ft-lbs per Service Manual.

A trick I learned is to put a rag between the chain and rear sprocket. Then turn the wheel. This will cinch rear axle forward, against the cams. Then tighten the axle nut to 72.5 ft-lbs and insert the cotter pin.

My guess is you are not cinching the axle to the adjuster cams while you tighten the axle nut, and you are not tightening the axle nut nearly enough to the proper torque.

• nsxdude

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:49 PM

should the tension adjusters match? i.e. - number 6 position on the sprocket side should also be 6 on the brake side?

• GOF1

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:59 PM

In a perfect world both sides should match, but check the chain alignment to be sure. A straight edge(string) from the front of the front sprocket to the back of the back sprocket should touch the same on front and rear of both sprockets. If not adjust one side or the other till it does. Then keep track of the difference for future adjustments.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ 400 lower footpegs at last by vinco

• 9 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2015
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Nevada

MY BIKE WAS STOLEN LAST NIGHT…. 9/1-2/2014 Las Vegas. by ARMRD X

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Southwest
  • 12 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

• Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.