Just a worn out brass washer?

5 replies to this topic
  • theclone

Posted May 29, 2007 - 03:02 PM

My bike has been leaking oil badly for a while. Pretty sure this is where its all coming from:
Posted Image
Then running down the frame:
Posted Image
About 2 weeks worth:
Posted Image

What do you think? And the bolt is tight, I checked.

• Markopolo400

Posted May 29, 2007 - 04:39 PM

Is that all oil in the pan?

If so, that is alot more than if it was just a leaky washer.

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2007 - 04:40 PM

In that picture, I see 4 places oil could be leaking from, and there are two more right there that don't show.

The drain plug

The feed fitting junction with the frame

The feed hose at the fitting

The return hose at the fitting

The feed hose at the oil line. (concealed)

The return hose at the fitting (concealed)

If it leaks while it sits, it is very unlikely to be the return fitting. And, because of how and where the drain plug is situated, I doubt it's the drain plug, either. So that leaves the washer at the feed fitting, or the oil line.

Here's a tip: clean the area as dry as you can, then dust it with baby or foot powder. The leak will show up like it had arrows pointing to it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • theclone

Posted May 29, 2007 - 06:43 PM

The first pic doesnt really do it justice.. the oil weeps from the brass washer so much that dust cant even collect on it when I'm riding.

Maybe some dirt got in between there...???

I think Ill replace the washer tomorrow and see what happens. Can I just get one at the hardware store? Anybody know the size off the top of their head?

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2007 - 08:16 PM

Can I just get one at the hardware store?

Depends on your hardware store. You might find one there, or have better luck with an auto parts store. You could even try the Yamaha dealer. There's nothing special about them, though. They're just a typical copper sealing washer.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 30, 2007 - 04:39 AM

You may want to check the frame and welds around the steering head or just below it.........if you feel oil this high up you got a bigger problem than a loose strainer or brass washer.....I have seen this several times unfortunately :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.