clutch question

2 replies to this topic
  • thumper450yzf

Posted May 29, 2007 - 10:55 AM

well i have had my bike for a few months now, when i first bought it (used) the clutch was fine but now when i start it up and let the clutch out to go it feels a bit grabby as the bike starts to roll (kinda like it is sliping) and my question was how can i fix this?

i have adjusted the cable a few times and it helped a little bit. but im just stumped should i lube the cable or something. please help i have a long weekend of riding coming up and i would like to be able to not worry about burning up my clutch while doing so.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:24 PM

You can take the clutch cover off your bike which is on the kickstarter side but before you do you will have to drain the oil out. Then you can start taking the plates,hub and pressure plate out then you can check the clutch basket for groove marks. If it has groove marks which will be located on the basket fingers youll have to take a file and smooth the fingers back down. This will give you a better clutch feel. The grooves are caused by the clutch plates hitting the basket fingers and over time the plates have worn against the basket which caused the grooves. Hope this helps!

• fowler175

Posted May 30, 2007 - 11:37 AM

Just a word to the wise. If the basket IS notched, and you do file the basket fingers down, it will help for a short while, but it will also accelerate wear, so plan on replacing the basket soon anyways.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.