Grabby clutch

2 replies to this topic
  • story_rtw

Posted May 29, 2007 - 09:58 AM

Hi guys,

The clutch on my '05 WR450 makes "whirring" noises as it engages and it's kinda grabby. It's been like this for a season now and doesn't appear to be getting worse. However, I'm considering replacing the clutch before I have serious problems that could leave me stranded in the 500 this year. I have about 2,200 miles on the bike and I run BelRay 20w/50 oil.

In a previous post Indy suggested the stock clutch should go 10,000 miles before needing replacement. I know that I'm hard on clutches but is 2,000 miles in the range of when a WR clutch might need replacing? How many miles did your bike have when you replaced the clutch, and did it fix your problems? Which parts did you replace? Or perhaps my symptoms are normal for the WR clutch?

Based on earlier posts it sounds like the hot clutch setup is the Hinson inner/outer basket with OEM plates. I guess I'll be going that route if my clutch is due for replacement.

Thanks.

Story

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted May 29, 2007 - 11:35 AM

If your OEM Clutch Boss and Basket are not grooved or broken MHO is re-use them, the Hinson products are good but it's a lot of money for really just lighter matl's. I have used both DP fibers and OEM and to be honest with you the OEM fibers and plates have lasted longer and are cheaper!

The noise you are referring to seems to be somewhat common and I can't tell you if it's a bad thing or not. I know that my 04' was doing it before I switched to semi-syn oil and it quit after that...

Depending on your riding / racing style you can easily go thru a clutch in 2,000 miles! I am on my 3rd set of fibers and springs in my 04' :)

• ccoates445

Posted May 30, 2007 - 10:45 PM

Hi guys,

The clutch on my '05 WR450 makes "whirring" noises as it engages and it's kinda grabby. It's been like this for a season now and doesn't appear to be getting worse. However, I'm considering replacing the clutch before I have serious problems that could leave me stranded in the 500 this year. I have about 2,200 miles on the bike and I run BelRay 20w/50 oil.

In a previous post Indy suggested the stock clutch should go 10,000 miles before needing replacement. I know that I'm hard on clutches but is 2,000 miles in the range of when a WR clutch might need replacing? How many miles did your bike have when you replaced the clutch, and did it fix your problems? Which parts did you replace? Or perhaps my symptoms are normal for the WR clutch?

Based on earlier posts it sounds like the hot clutch setup is the Hinson inner/outer basket with OEM plates. I guess I'll be going that route if my clutch is due for replacement.

Thanks.

Story

20w50 BelRay? Did you have a problem with the Yamalube? Standard viscosity is 10w30. I use that during the entire season except for summer and then I switch to 20w40. The 10w30 should be more than enough for the cooler climates on Colorado. As well, the viscosity #s refer to how the oil flows at temperature. Look at the oils they are using in the newest Honda cars now. 5w20! But when you realize that the lower the #s the less drag (yes drag, not friction) coefficient. Also, does the BelRay have any additives that may be effecting the friction plate materials.

On another note, I just purchased 2 '07 WR450F's and my clutch is much smoother than the one my son rides.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.