Need chain breaker advice

12 replies to this topic
  • fetz518

Posted May 29, 2007 - 08:12 AM

Got a new DID chain for the 450 and I need to take a few links out. What's the best, cost effective chain breaker to remove links so it'll fit on the bike?

• Valerie Wilson

Posted May 29, 2007 - 08:16 AM

The best 'cost effective' which is cheap.... a hammer and a big flat screwdriver and the garage floor.

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2007 - 08:32 AM

The cheapest, easiest way is to grind the ends off the pins and drive them out with a punch.

But in the long run, if you think you like riding motorcycles, this problem will come up again. IMO, you should just buy a good professional shop quality chain breaker and have done with it. Either the Regina 805000 or the 805173 tools Shown Here will last for a great many years, do a very good job, and cost only about $30-40. The 805000 in particular is extremely durable, although the 805173 does a little neater job on O-ring chains. Read the precautions on the latter tool before you use it.

• 1rkcooper

Posted May 29, 2007 - 05:53 PM

Just showed my son how to do it two days ago.
Use a grinder and grind the two pins down to the plate, take a large flat screwdriver and pry the plate off, pry one side a bit, then the other until it pops right off. I used to use a punch but this is sooooo much easier.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:03 PM

Just showed my son how to do it two days ago.
Use a grinder and grind the two pins down to the plate, take a large flat screwdriver and pry the plate off, pry one side a bit, then the other until it pops right off. I used to use a punch but this is sooooo much easier.

Its the way I do it to.....But Iam going to get a chainbreaker soon.:)

• rtgincnm

Posted May 30, 2007 - 07:16 PM

I've used the grind and punch method and it works well. Last 3 o-ring chains I have installed the master link seems to be a press fit so I ended up drilling them out. Does the hi-dollar chain breaker also press the master link on? Have not had any coome loose yet but something is not right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 30, 2007 - 08:28 PM

The Type 7 breakers can be used as a master link press, yes. There are any number of other things you can use for that purpose. The higher grade chains, particularly O-ring types use a press fit master link to increase the strength of the link. If you're saying tht you drilled it out to make it easy to assemble, then you just weakened the link significantly. You should replace it with a new one.

• Pukeballs

Posted May 31, 2007 - 11:30 AM

Theres been quite a few posts about this. Most responses are "use your grinder and grind it down and pop it out." But for those of us that dont have a use for a grinder, other then taking a link out of a chain, its kinda pointless. I bought a motion pro chain breaker for about 30 bucks at the local moto shop. Takes ten seconds to pop the link out. If $30 bucks is still to much for something that you use a couple times a year, check out ebay. I found a couple of there pretty darn cheap.

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2007 - 02:58 PM

I agree with your underlying point, and I'm glad the Motion Pro worked out for you, but my experience with that particular tool was less than satisfying.

I bought it from a local shop when a search failed to turn up my ancient Reynolds breaker (looks just like the Regina Type 1). I was cautioned as to the right way to use the tool so as not to bend the forcing pin, and followed those instructions exactly. Nevertheless the pin collapsed before it even budged the pins in the Regina ORN6 chain.

Returning the tool to the shop, I was informed that there was an upgraded forcing pin, and was given one for free. It failed just as immediately. That tool now resides in the tool box as a master link press, a job it does quite well. I bought a Regina 805000 and haven't had any problems since.

And the old Reynolds turned up about a week later. :thumbsup:

• Pukeballs

Posted June 01, 2007 - 07:57 AM

Ive heard similar stories about the quality of Motion Pro tools. I was hesitant on purchasing it, but it was the only brand of chain breaker the local shop carried and I really wanted to take the stock POS chain off and put the new one on because of a scheduled ride the next day. So I gave it a shot and it worked out.
I cant stand it when my toolbox decides to hide tools from me. But usually its my fault. Most often when I bust a knuckle and throw a wrench around the garage never to be seen again.

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2007 - 08:09 AM

Some MP tools are just fine. I have some that I've used for years without a problem. Others, well, not. It's like they get them from 6 different sources. Makes it a little hard to tell beforehand at times.

• rtgincnm

Posted June 01, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Okay so being out of the dirtbike scene for 20 years I missed some things.

So grayracer513 Are most of our chains "endless riveted chain" as shown in the link below?

Do they still have a masterlink and clip or do you just rivet them together?

The tools shown on the Regina site are look great but must cost $$$$. Is there really a way to install a new chain without one of these tools?

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2007 - 09:14 PM

No, the ORN6 has a conventional master link with a clip, but the outer plate fits tightly over the pins to make the link stronger, and it needs to be pressed together. Something as simple as a small nut and a C-clamp or a pair of Vise Grips will do it.

The ORS6 uses a riveted link, and while technically, this is actually stronger, it's not really a necessity.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.