Bye TTR-250, Hello WR450F!!!!!!

14 replies to this topic
  • erickdj

Posted May 28, 2007 - 08:05 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm happy to say that a few minutes ago I sold my TTR-250. It was a 2004 and sold it for $2300, $2500 below my advertised price, so it wasn't too bad, I had only had it for sale for one week. Tomorrow I'm callin a dealer 30 miles away from me to get me a WR450F. They agreed to sell me the bike for $6699 OTD. So, as of tomorrow I will be spending more time on this forum.

Erick.

• LimyWPom

Posted May 28, 2007 - 09:27 PM

hello Eric, Good choice. Mine is an 05 and I love it, you will have a blast, I havn't tried an 07 yet.

• resinlips

Posted May 28, 2007 - 09:38 PM

Good for you, now you'll have permagrin when riding. Ride it a little then open it up with all the mods.

• erickdj

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:31 AM

I don't think I can keep myself from opening it up!!, All the reading about the throttle stop, grey wire, etc.... just makes me think that I shouldn't even ride it once without doing all the free mods. I can't wait to get my hands on the WR.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 29, 2007 - 08:33 AM

It will be a big difference even when corked up. When you unleash the beast and take it for a ride, you'll have that "I just sh!t my pants" grin on your face, just like a baby.

I think that the suspension setup is even more important than the other mods. Don't overlook that. Turning and whoops will be the challenge with the WR. I also have the Pro Tapers (fat bars) with the CR bend that I moved forward to the +1 position.

Good luck.

• erickdj

Posted May 29, 2007 - 09:24 AM

how much of a diffference will there be with the wr being corked up? The TTR was completely uncorked, I know it's a completely different bike, but I'm trying to understand what I'm getting into here. I've never been on a wr before, much less a 450cc bike. I've only ridden my ttr250, a ttr125, and a KDX250F. The KDX was much lighter and had much more power than my TTR250. Riding the KDX was like riding a feather compared to my TTR. But I think I'll be able to handle the wr450 if I go easy on the throttle. I'm 5'5" 175lbs, I work out so I'm reasonably strong. I'm looking forward to it. I called my dealer and we agreed to close the deal @ 5pm today. :)

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 29, 2007 - 02:25 PM

Well... I guess the difference between the wr and the ttr doesn't matter anymore. You are bringing home the wr and that seems to be final. Keep it corked for the first ride or two to get used to it. Then uncork it.

PS: change that front tire as soon as you can. If they are still using the same one that came on the 05, then you'll slippin and slidin by the 4th or 5th ride. Get a dunlop 756 for the front.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tough Guy

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:53 PM

how much of a diffference will there be with the wr being corked up? The TTR was completely uncorked, I know it's a completely different bike, but I'm trying to understand what I'm getting into here. I've never been on a wr before, much less a 450cc bike. I've only ridden my ttr250, a ttr125, and a KDX250F. The KDX was much lighter and had much more power than my TTR250. Riding the KDX was like riding a feather compared to my TTR. But I think I'll be able to handle the wr450 if I go easy on the throttle. I'm 5'5" 175lbs, I work out so I'm reasonably strong. I'm looking forward to it. I called my dealer and we agreed to close the deal @ 5pm today. :ride:

Depending on your level of experience, you will be amazed with the new bike...You may have some dificulty with the seat height and being able to touch the ground in tricky situations, but you'll figure it out. The power to weight ratio is unreal and with your weight the bike will feel like a rocket for sure! Good choice! :)

Chris

• xrmarty

Posted May 30, 2007 - 10:09 PM

I don't think I can keep myself from opening it up!!, All the reading about the throttle stop, grey wire, etc.... just makes me think that I shouldn't even ride it once without doing all the free mods. I can't wait to get my hands on the WR.

That's what i did. When I first rode the bike up and down the road, I could tell that it was really corked up and wasn't showing it's full potential. It took me about two weeks before I took it for the first trail ride. I waited until I was able to rejet it and remove that stupid throttle stop. I put an aftermarket exhaust too (see MY GARAGE). That's when the beast woke up. I came of a XR400 and the bike felt absolutely insane. I think if you're coming off a TTR, riding an uncorked WR will be a true religious experiance.

• erickdj

Posted May 31, 2007 - 06:23 AM

That's what i did. When I first rode the bike up and down the road, I could tell that it was really corked up and wasn't showing it's full potential. It took me about two weeks before I took it for the first trail ride. I waited until I was able to rejet it and remove that stupid throttle stop. I put an aftermarket exhaust too (see MY GARAGE). That's when the beast woke up. I came of a XR400 and the bike felt absolutely insane. I think if you're coming off a TTR, riding an uncorked WR will be a true religious experiance.

I took it for a VERY short ride yesterday after work. The bike feels powerful when accelerating, but the power curve ended very fast. That throttle stop along with the exhaust baffle and the grey wire really hold the bike down. The fastest I took it was 55mph on a flat surface, it felt pretty good. As soon as I came home I removed the exhaust baffle and the grey wire. The throttle stop is still there, because I don't have anything to replace it with, but I've already ordered the gytr AIS kit, so it will be removed soon and I'll also rejet it. I can feel the bike's potential, but it's pretty well hidden with all the corks yamaha put into it.

xmarty, which FMF exhaust did you install, and how much was it?

Erick.

• markturbo

Posted June 01, 2007 - 03:43 AM

If your AIS was on back order or you can't wait, you can cut your WR stop to YZ spec for full throttle. Here is a pic with measurments for both.

Posted Image

• Hathawaydr

Posted June 04, 2007 - 02:11 PM

Hey Erick,

Congrats on the new ride.

You just did what I have been contemplating. Switch from the TTR 250 to the new WR 450. I am pretty set on the 450, but am still thinking about the WR 250. I have never riden a 450, so I don't know what I'm in for. I would love to hear, a little more in depth as to what you think of the differences. I know they are very different machines and can't be compaired easily. Does the front wheel come up real easy when you roll on the throttle? With the TTR, as you know, you have really go to get on it with the clutch to get the front up for big logs etc.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• erickdj

Posted June 04, 2007 - 03:58 PM

Hey Erick,

Congrats on the new ride.

You just did what I have been contemplating. Switch from the TTR 250 to the new WR 450. I am pretty set on the 450, but am still thinking about the WR 250. I have never riden a 450, so I don't know what I'm in for. I would love to hear, a little more in depth as to what you think of the differences. I know they are very different machines and can't be compaired easily. Does the front wheel come up real easy when you roll on the throttle? With the TTR, as you know, you have really go to get on it with the clutch to get the front up for big logs etc.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hathawaydr,

Switching from the TTR-250 to the WR450F was the best thing I could have done. I'm sure you won't regret it if you go that route. Only go with the wr250f if price is an issue, however there's a catch to that; if later on you discover that you want more power, you'll be spending loads of money on something that will not have the power of the 450. So, that's what I did, looked for the lowest price OTD on a 450 and went with that. So far I've only taken it out once on a serious ride, it was a 30 mile ride on trails. As soon as you approach the bike and lay your hands on the handle bars you can immediately feel it's a different animal. I had never been on a 450 myself, so I was a little concerned about the power, but rest assured, it's nothing to be affraid of. If you can muscle around the ttr250 and rev it to the max, then you're ready for the wr450f. The bikes have a similar weight on the scale, but the wr feels quite lighter than the ttr, it must be the way they distribute the weight, but I could seriously swear there's like a 20lbs difference. It is also quite easier to maneuver, it's very nimble and you spend less time fighting with it compared to the ttr. The suspension is quite stiffer than the ttr, but it somehow feels "perfect", I was able to ride some whoops that I would have never even attempted on my ttr because of the soft suspension. The seat is also stiffer and a little more narrow, but somehow, it's more comfortable on a long ride. I had heard some stories about the front wheel coming up for almost no reason, but in my experience it's not bad at all. If I'm using it on pavement the wheel will try to come up on first and second, but only if I get hard on the throttle. On dirt, the back tire will spin like crazy, but the front wheel won't come up unless you want it to, which is easy to do. So basically what I'm saying is that the front wheel will come up easily, but only if that's what you're trying to do. So far I've only done a couple of mods to it, removed the throttle stop, airbox snorkel, muffler pea shooter, and disconnected the grey wire. The engine is a torque monster, on the ttr I used to rev it quite a bit to feel the bike pulling hard, but on the wr I only twist the throttle a little bit and it pulls much harder than the ttr ever did. That's even before re-jetting, etc.... I noticed that the bike is jetted very lean from the factory, in fact, it's jetted so lean that I"m surprised it even runs at all. So I'm expecting to have the engine wake up even more after I get my AIS kit with bigger carb jets. Hopefully I'll get my AIS kit tomorrow, then I'll be more able to judge the engine's power. Yesterday when I took the bike out, I "raced" a guy on a honda CR250 2-stroke bike. We started the race from a dead stop, I wasn't even surprised that my WR totally smoked his cr250. Once I get the bike jetted properly, it won't even be a fair race. I'll keep posting updates a I go along modding the bike. Get the wr450f if you can Hathawaydr, you won't regret it. :thumbsup:

Erick.

• kevinwr450f

Posted June 04, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Welcome to the world of 450's, enjoy your stay!!! The 250 guys can hang around until the top of third then it's bye-bye time!!

• Impaler

Posted June 05, 2007 - 06:08 PM

u can trim your throttlestop(easy)...open airbox...fmf megabomb w/powercore ehaust(1100 w/tax).....rejet and zipty with boyesen accelerator pump.....take it easy....if the 250 was yer biggest dirtbike....this baby is a monster in the wrong hands...exhaust is easy plug and play(10 min to install..wait 24hrs fer yer high temp silicone to set...bummer of a wait)....fire it up and she'll breathe fire...good luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.