Slime for avoiding flat tires?

4 replies to this topic
  • Flamed1

Posted February 12, 2002 - 08:23 AM

Several of my buddies swear by 'Slime' for avoiding flats. Others just use 'fix-a-flat' which, along with the sealant, is also pressurized and provides air for the tire. Anyone have opinions on these products? While I carry a small pump and a patch kit, I have been very lucky in that I have not needed them. :) Does anyone use the spendy co2 cartrige systems for inflating the tires on the trail vs a pump?
Thanks in advance,
Brian

• jbird

Posted February 12, 2002 - 09:36 AM

When trail riding I have a set of shorty tire irons, a couple Co2 cartiges, and at least one cheapy front tube (we always try to get each person in the group to have at least one tube with them). The front tube can be used in the rear in a pinch. If you are going to go though the trouble of patching the tube you might as well put in a new tube in my opinion. I can't remember if it was Moose or not but Co2 setup isn't much more than a couple cans of fix-a-flat.
I have also used Slime tubes before and never got a flat. I don't know if this was the Slime or just good luck though.
As far as fix-a-flat goes it works as a temp fix. When I have used it the search for the gas stop and more fix-a-flat begins.
This is what works for me, Jon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Terry_in_Reno

Posted February 12, 2002 - 10:42 PM

I've used slime for years and had great success. I have taken tires off to change and found that slime had stopped small holes.

The small pump might be a good idea on a mountain bike tire, but your arm will be falling off before you finish pumping up a motorcycle tire. It would make do in a last ditch effort. I've ridden 50 miles in a rock race to finish without damaging the rim, if you take it easy 9 times out of 10 you don't have to change that tire until you get back to the truck.

My 0.02 worth.

Terry

• dieseld

Posted February 12, 2002 - 11:06 AM

Tire pressure is the key here - about 5 years ago I took the advice of an old desert racer and pumped the tires up to 15 psi when I ride desert/off-road. As some of you know, the desert is notorious for crawling rocks (that rock wasn't there :) ) - and I honestly have not got a pinch flat since. This is not the best setup for optimum traction, and I don't run this high of pressure on the track. ....and I'm looking for some wood to knock on right now, cause I'm sure the next time I ride that fate will make me eat my words !

• WR250fla

Posted February 12, 2002 - 11:48 AM

Buy the refill CO2 cartridges at walmart for the crossman air rifles,cheap works fine for me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.