oil filter

8 replies to this topic
  • hotdog7

Posted May 28, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Ok on my 2002 wr426 when I change the oil do I need a new filter or can I clean it like the frame filter the book says check for tears is this a paper filter? and after the oil change how much oil do I need?

• fdubaaron

Posted May 28, 2007 - 05:15 PM

I'd recommend changing the oil filter along with oil changes. They're cheap and it's a lot easier to do it all at once rather than have to deal with debris in your oil later. As for how much oil you'll need, I don't know off the top of my head but your book should tell you.

• hotdog7

Posted May 30, 2007 - 12:29 PM

Ok the book also says to remove exhaust pipe to remove oil filter is this necessary? wr 426 2002

• GCannon

Posted May 30, 2007 - 01:07 PM

Ok the book also says to remove exhaust pipe to remove oil filter is this necessary? wr 426 2002

NO. I also gave up checking the frame screen every oil change. I would check it if there are chunks on oil filter or maybe once a year to make yourself feel better.

Dont clean the paper filters (aftermarket) the OEM brass screen ones clean maybe once then toss em not worth the risk of them blowing apart (don't ask). Whatever you do do not get near them with compressed air they come apart easy after you blast them. just let them dry out after you clean them or get the solvent off them with a paper towel.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hotdog7

Posted May 30, 2007 - 04:41 PM

I guess when you said no you meant I dont have to remove the exhaust pipe I did order new filters and amsoil 10-40

• xrmarty

Posted May 30, 2007 - 10:18 PM

I change my oil every 10 hrs and the filter every 20 hrs

• Brooks_Wackerman

Posted May 30, 2007 - 11:04 PM

I'm pretty sure it'll take 1400 mils if you drain it all and do the filter

• GCannon

Posted May 31, 2007 - 07:41 AM

I guess when you said no you meant I dont have to remove the exhaust pipe I did order new filters and amsoil 10-40

You are correct give it a try filter cover comes right off.

Brooks_Wackerman I'm pretty sure it'll take 1400 mils if you drain it all and do the filter
Yesterday 11:18 PM

Good Luck with that!:thumbsup:

• hotdog7

Posted May 31, 2007 - 05:35 PM

Thanks soon as I get my oil and filters I wiil change it funny thing is the dip stick oil looks clean but I drained some out of the frame and it was dirty the book says 1.80qt total amount 1.59qt Periodic and 1.69qt with oil filter replacement It also says check oil level with dip stick not screwed in just insert lightly.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.