Almost had my bike taken away!

25 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2007 - 03:53 PM

One of the things that you are going to need to adapt to is the fact that I have as much right to my opinion in any of these forums as you do. You're entitled to disagree, but if you want to debate the matter, bring a solid argument, and keep it civil.

The facts are simple. You had one motorcycle with an obscured VIN, and another OHRV with a misplaced sticker, both of which are ticketable infractions in California, and the first of which, as we already mentioned, is grounds for impounding the vehicle.

I have seen on many occasions where law enforcement was questioning the veracity of a vehicle's registration status (one of the bike shops I worked for did a lot of work on Harleys, and we got regular visits from the detectives working auto theft) and in every case, the owner stepped up and provided paper work to validate his claim. In 6 of those instances, the "owner" was arrested for possession of stolen property and suspicion of auto theft. So, yes, people "up to no good" do in fact act in that exact manner quite often.

Nevertheless, if I unfairly lumped you in with the crowd that reflexively blames every ticket they get on "the cops being such pricks", then I do apologize.

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2007 - 04:14 PM

i don't understand this green sticker, red season thing?? how can a 02 426 be much different to a 06/07 450?

It's called grandfathering. A principal of U.S. law forbids "ex post facto" laws, in which something is made illegal after it's been done. The current air pollution standards were put in place requiring compliance beginning with the 2003 model year. The '02's don't comply with the standards any more than the '03+ ones do, but since the were legal when they were built, they are not required to comply.

It gets even goofier, because there were several '01 and '02 models that were Red Sticker bikes before the new rules were drawn up that became Green Sticker bikes afterward by virtue of having been built prior to the new standards, even when the obviously don't comply.

On an even more basic level, what really is the impact of all of the air pollution generated by dirt bikes when scaled against the total from all sources? But this is the state that wants to ban charcoal barbeques, and two-stroke weed trimmers. The People's Republic of California, pride of the Democratic Party.

• 2wheels-drz

Posted June 01, 2007 - 05:01 PM

It's called grandfathering. A principal of U.S. law forbids "ex post facto" laws, in which something is made illegal after it's been done. The current air pollution standards were put in place requiring compliance beginning with the 2003 model year. The '02's don't comply with the standards any more than the '03+ ones do, but since the were legal when they were built, they are not required to comply.

It gets even goofier, because there were several '01 and '02 models that were Red Sticker bikes before the new rules were drawn up that became Green Sticker bikes afterward by virtue of having been built prior to the new standards, even when the obviously don't comply.

On an even more basic level, what really is the impact of all of the air pollution generated by dirt bikes when scaled against the total from all sources? But this is the state that wants to ban charcoal barbeques, and two-stroke weed trimmers. The People's Republic of California, pride of the Democratic Party.

and that law was actually passed:eek: would it not be easyer to impose a small tax on riding area, and have money go into a carbon neutral project. i.e. all the polution etc cause by motocross bikes etc is cancelled out? this red sticker thing does not follow logic, and bet enforcing these laws is a nightmare too...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamahafan

Posted June 01, 2007 - 05:18 PM

So are you saying that my well-mainatined 2002 WR250F is now worth $10,000 in California?:thumbsup:

• e30M3

Posted June 01, 2007 - 05:25 PM

So are you saying that my well-mainatined 2002 WR250F is now worth $10,000 in California?:)

I think almost all WRs are green stickers. If the manufacturer as gone through the steps of having a newer bike meet the guidelines it will qualify for a green sticker. My wife has an '05 YFZ450 (quad) that has a green sticker-it was parked next to my bike when the ranger come up and he didn't say a word about it. The nice thing is the quad is the special edition yellow and black so it looks really nice sitting next to by 426.:thumbsup:

The nice thing with the green sticker is you can ride year round. Depending on where you go they have varying red sticker "seasons". Apparantly in Gorman May 1st is the end of the red sticker season. For the most part the "seasons" correspond with when most people ride-namely the winter time.

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2007 - 09:08 PM

So are you saying that my well-mainatined 2002 WR250F is now worth $10,000 in California?:thumbsup:

No, but '02's and earlier do hold their value longer than normal, for some odd reason.

I think almost all WRs are green stickers.

Some of the later ones weren't (I forget which years) because they came out too late to be tested by the California Air Resources Board. Technically, they should be legal, but because they weren't certified, they aren't.

would it not be easyer to impose a small tax on riding area, and have money go into a carbon neutral project. i.e. all the polution etc cause by motocross bikes etc is cancelled out? this red sticker thing does not follow logic,

They have a small tax on the riding areas. Actually, it's not really small. And there's one on the bikes, and the roads and the fuel and just about every other damn thing you can name. The tax on the riding area was supposed to be used to maintain the riding areas and aquire new ones, but because that doesn't fit into the liberals' agenda (and because they used the money somewhere else), it hasn't been.

The pollution at issue is the real kind; unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, not the BS mumbo-jumbo fairy tale horsesh* about global warming. No one who seriously analyzes the actual science connected with climate change can logically come to the conclusion that either humans or carbon dioxide have anything whatsoever to do with it. Even so, and even considering the really fantastic level to which pollution from automotive and industrial sources has been reduced in the last 40 years, I'll wager that a week's worth of pollution from all the dirt bikes in the US don't equal a fraction of one percent of pollution from one day's car traffic in the state of California alone. All of this is being done to suppress the sport, gather revenue and for social engineering. It's just a crock, plain and simple.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.