Almost had my bike taken away!

25 replies to this topic
  • e30M3

Posted May 28, 2007 - 08:34 AM

So I just got back from a pretty good outing in Gorman (green sticker only season started May 1st). Since I wanted a green sticker bike this is what I did: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=398433

Anyway, a ranger comes knocking on my door and asks "who's Suzuki is this?" and I calmly reply "the YAMAHA is mine". He proceeds to ask what year it is and I say '02 and explain all the stuff I have done to it. I also point out the oil filler cap and remind him he won't see that on a newer bike. He goes to check the VIN and can't find it! Idiot me never checked the frame after the powder coating and didn't realize they coated right over it! Even though I have the registration and green sticker he tells me that is is a misdemeaner if he can't identify the bike/VIN and that means he could impound my bike

Luckily he believed me (after running the vin on the registration, who knows why if he can't verify that is belongs to that bike) and decided not to take my bike. He said the VIN should be on the right side of the steering head and my manual says the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the powder coating without grinding away the vin at the same time?

• RCannon

Posted May 28, 2007 - 09:26 AM

The aircraft paint stripper sold at Autozone, wal-Mart, etc will remove the powdercoating. Use a Q-tip to apply it.

• ThompsonV311

Posted May 28, 2007 - 10:11 AM

The rangers out here are all a bunch of Jackholes. He was probably just being a :) because he looked like an idiot walking up asking "who's Suzuki is that!" When it only has 2 large Yamaha emblems on each side. It should be part of his job requirement to be able to read while trying to "identify" a vehicle. What a moron!

• OcotilloBound

Posted May 28, 2007 - 03:32 PM

I don't get this shortened season red sticker crap anyway. I get around it by having both my trusty smoker and my YZ450F, but that just makes things more strange. Why would a bike that is apparently more polluting, louder, and 11 years old be ridable unfettered by these restrictions while a new, quieter, less polluting bike be hampered by the restrictions? I guess one solace is that after not riding either of them for the last three months (work has been heavy on weekends lately) the four stroke has an almighty bog on tip-in while the smoker runs like a freshly tuned top, on the old fuel in the tank and all, no plug change, nothing, haven't even looked at it, and it started on the second kick and wheelied about the yard like it always does. Unfortunately, the "yard" is my tiny 1/4 acre fenced in by concrete walls, since I just went out to Ocotillo and brought them home for the summer since it's too damn hot to ride out there for the next five months. Time to sign up at the Cahuilla track or the one down by Palomar I guess, even though the rest of my "backyard" is the foothills of De Luz that butt right up to my house. Time to get those trails figured out and find a good escape route if the man comes calling at inopportune moments.....

• dbehr624

Posted May 28, 2007 - 04:16 PM

Yea, i dont like the rangers at gorman too much. They are kinda like P.E teachers, they think their job is the most important in the world.

• Jaycycle

Posted May 28, 2007 - 04:27 PM

Thats crazy man. haha Suzuki.

But seriously your bike is so nice!!! I never in 100 years would guess that is a 426. Kudos to the excellent job.

• e30M3

Posted May 28, 2007 - 06:49 PM

I don't get this shortened season red sticker crap anyway.

I can go on and on about that. Bottom line is that the liberals (who want to take away our rights) were able to get the stupid law passed. I read somewhere on one of the state's websites that the season is different at different parks and is determined by how much pollution is in the area. That is also a bunch of crap since Corral Canyon is only open Dec and Jan even though it is up in the mountains and has no pollution-it also only has a hand full of trails and so only few people ride at a time (few when compared to Ocotillo/Glamis/Gorman).

I am also into shooting and my rights to own firearms in CA is also affected by liberals who want to take away my rights. It is illegal to own an AR15 because it has a pistol grip. Now keep in mind if you remove the pistol grip you can own one-someone please explain to me how the pistol grip makes it anymore or less dangerous!

Sorry to get off topic...

• yz_for_me

Posted May 28, 2007 - 11:03 PM

Threads like this remind me why I don't live in Kalifornia. It's a great state, but waaaay overregulated.

• tnl

Posted May 29, 2007 - 04:16 PM

What about the stamped engine # on your bike? I got my bike here in AZ plated and was asked to provide the engine # in addition to the vin # but had to have both for a plate. Did your green sticker require you to show the engine #? Use that for a back up if you can't/don't clean up the vin tag?

• e30M3

Posted May 29, 2007 - 05:43 PM

What about the stamped engine # on your bike? I got my bike here in AZ plated and was asked to provide the engine # in addition to the vin # but had to have both for a plate. Did your green sticker require you to show the engine #? Use that for a back up if you can't/don't clean up the vin tag?

I think he did check the engine # against the reg but he said it still needs to have a VIN on the frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tntmo

Posted May 30, 2007 - 08:50 AM

My Suzuki DR350 has a powder coated frame and I had a similar issue when I had to do a VIN verification. I could just barely make out the VIN, so I used a small ruler and a razor blade to cut out a rectangle of bare metal around the VIN. It's a pain in the ass, but the ranger does have a point. No VIN could be a stolen bike, etc. Good luck.

• berudd

Posted May 31, 2007 - 11:18 AM

The rangers out here are all a bunch of Jackholes. He was probably just being a :thumbsup: because he looked like an idiot walking up asking "who's Suzuki is that!" When it only has 2 large Yamaha emblems on each side. It should be part of his job requirement to be able to read while trying to "identify" a vehicle. What a moron!

Again glad I don't live out there. It does sound like the ranger thing is a pain but you are assuming it would be impossible to put Yamaha stickers on a different bike. Beside, what this guy had done WAS wrong. Why is the Ranger an ass for pointing that out. It is his job after all to do exactly that.

• ThompsonV311

Posted May 31, 2007 - 04:15 PM

Again glad I don't live out there. It does sound like the ranger thing is a pain but you are assuming it would be impossible to put Yamaha stickers on a different bike. Beside, what this guy had done WAS wrong. Why is the Ranger an ass for pointing that out. It is his job after all to do exactly that.

No I am not assuming anything pal. But why would anybody spend all the time and money to have a bike that clean and then put the wrong brand stickers on it? You would have to be a total douchebag to do that. That would draw more attention to a stolen bike dont you think? Most stolen bikes are not kept in tits shape, and ridden around in heavily populated areas. They are usually parted out on ebay. The ranger was not just pointing anything out. He was being a dick. This guy had his registration, motor id, that all checked out. What bike theif is going to have all that to show the rangers?
Come on out here to Ca. and let them hassle you some. They are a bunch of power happy wannabe cop, pricks that get off on writing tickets for stupid sh!t. How would you have felt if he was harassing you about the vin on your bike that you legally owned being visible, and took the bike to impound. Screwing your entire trip, costing you $ to get it back. All because he wanted to flex his muscles. Would you still feel he's just doing his job?

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2007 - 05:00 PM

How would you have felt if he was harassing you about the vin on your bike that you legally owned being visible, and took the bike to impound. Screwing your entire trip, costing you $ to get it back. All because he wanted to flex his muscles. Would you still feel he's just doing his job?

In the first place, the law in virtually every state says that the VIN must be clearly legible, and that if it is obscured by anything that cannot be moved or wiped off, the vehicle is subject to impound. Engine numbers are meaningless in most cases, and do not appear on the titles in many states. So, knowing that, no law enforcement officer will ever hassle me about the VIN on any vehicle of mine being illegible, because I know better than to let such a condition exist. And yes, he would be doing his job if he impounded it.

In the second place, they're not wannabe cops, they're duly sworn peace officers, whether you like it or you don't. There's always the bad one or two, but most people who see law enforcement as pricks, frankly, are the major cause of their own problems.

• yzmuddereffer

Posted May 31, 2007 - 05:17 PM

I've ridden in Northern California and Southern California, and although it's OK moto, there are tracks just as nice (with waaaaaay more moisture) here in the Midwest and mountain two-track that compares fairly to what the Sierras have to offer in the Appalachians (while the Rockies blow it all away).

There are some incredible one-and-a-half-lane twisties that are surprisingly traffic free (stuff around Cambria, Monterey, etc.), but, again, West Virginia/Kentucky/Tennessee are just as solid (and much more green).

The one thing (IMO) that California has that the rest of the country doesn't, however, is the best dang coastline riding (PCH) you can imagine.

Anyway, put it all together, and it's no where near the riding opportunities you'd have to come up with to overcome all the eco-BS and high housing costs that you guys deal with.

Sell out and move to Kentucky (or anywhere east of the Mississippi) already...ride out of your garage...feel rich...be happy.

• e30M3

Posted May 31, 2007 - 05:53 PM

While the VIN number isn't visible and I learned my leason (yes it will be fixed before I go riding again), I don't consider myself as having done anything wrong. The ranger came to me while the bike was parked and inquired about it based on the fact it looks like a newer bike. I know they are just doing their jobs and I am gratefull he wasn't a prick about it as he could have taken the bike but didn't. I consider myself lucky that it happened since now I know I have a problem to resolve before running into a ranger that isn't so nice.

By the way, I don't live in CA for the riding, I live in CA for everything I can do 12 months out of the year. I live in oceanside and I can go from the beach to the desert to the mountains all in one day. It is not uncommon for my family to take a week off and go skiing one day, go home to Oceanside to get the weekend warrior and go out to the desert. Then after a few days of riding come home and spend a few days at the beach. Not too many places you can do that...

• EM_rider

Posted May 31, 2007 - 06:17 PM

No I am not assuming anything pal. But why would anybody spend all the time and money to have a bike that clean and then put the wrong brand stickers on it? You would have to be a total douchebag to do that. That would draw more attention to a stolen bike dont you think? Most stolen bikes are not kept in tits shape, and ridden around in heavily populated areas. They are usually parted out on ebay. The ranger was not just pointing anything out. He was being a dick. This guy had his registration, motor id, that all checked out. What bike theif is going to have all that to show the rangers?
Come on out here to Ca. and let them hassle you some. They are a bunch of power happy wannabe cop, pricks that get off on writing tickets for stupid sh!t. How would you have felt if he was harassing you about the vin on your bike that you legally owned being visible, and took the bike to impound. Screwing your entire trip, costing you $ to get it back. All because he wanted to flex his muscles. Would you still feel he's just doing his job?

They are called "law enforcement officers" for a reason. If you simply obey the laws, you won't have any problems. In this particular case, the guy did violate a law and still got off. Sounds like the LEO was a nice and reasonable guy.

R

• kanyonkritter

Posted June 01, 2007 - 07:24 AM

I don't get this shortened season red sticker crap anyway. I get around it by having both my trusty smoker and my YZ450F, but that just makes things more strange. Why would a bike that is apparently more polluting, louder, and 11 years old be ridable unfettered by these restrictions while a new, quieter, less polluting bike be hampered by the restrictions? I guess one solace is that after not riding either of them for the last three months (work has been heavy on weekends lately) the four stroke has an almighty bog on tip-in while the smoker runs like a freshly tuned top, on the old fuel in the tank and all, no plug change, nothing, haven't even looked at it, and it started on the second kick and wheelied about the yard like it always does. Unfortunately, the "yard" is my tiny 1/4 acre fenced in by concrete walls, since I just went out to Ocotillo and brought them home for the summer since it's too damn hot to ride out there for the next five months. Time to sign up at the Cahuilla track or the one down by Palomar I guess, even though the rest of my "backyard" is the foothills of De Luz that butt right up to my house. Time to get those trails figured out and find a good escape route if the man comes calling at inopportune moments.....

Well lets just hope that one day CARB gets out there windex and polishes there glass belly button so they can see that they have absoloutly no idea what they are doing. Idiots:banghead:

• ThompsonV311

Posted June 01, 2007 - 03:01 PM

In the first place, the law in virtually every state says that the VIN must be clearly legible, and that if it is obscured by anything that cannot be moved or wiped off, the vehicle is subject to impound. Engine numbers are meaningless in most cases, and do not appear on the titles in many states. So, knowing that, no law enforcement officer will ever hassle me about the VIN on any vehicle of mine being illegible, because I know better than to let such a condition exist. And yes, he would be doing his job if he impounded it.

In the second place, they're not wannabe cops, they're duly sworn peace officers, whether you like it or you don't. There's always the bad one or two, but most people who see law enforcement as pricks, frankly, are the major cause of their own problems.

Well in the first place Gray, I never worked as a mechanic in a Ford or Chevy dealership in the 80's so I guess I should have asked for your expertise before stating an opinion on here. My apologies for that. We all know you would never do anything wrong like that. I mean you do speak as if you know all about every thread on here.
This was not a malicious attempt to disguise a vehicle ID number which should have been obvious to the "duly sworn peace officer" in this case. Just the fact that the owner stepped up, and provided the all the correct paperwork would be witness to that. Anybody that was up to no good would not have acted in this manor.
In the second place, I view these "duly sworn peace officers" as pricks from experience with them. I used to go out to Dumont all the time on big and small weekends. We never caused any problems, didn't drink and ride, wore helmets, etc. I have even done cleanup weekends with groups out there, and never did any of these rangers aknowledge in a positive way what we were doing for the area. They were being paid to be out there, but would they lift a hand to pick up a piece of trash? Hell no. I was however harassed about the placement of my greensticker on my Banshee though. The bike was a hillshooter with full cut plastics, so I put the sticker on the rear carrier housing. He proceeds to preach to me that it must be placed under the left rear fender. Well there is no rear fender to put it on. He then decides he needs to look over the bike for any illegal mods. Don't know what he meant by that. My reg. was current, all numbers matched, yet he still felt he needed to inform me he was being such a great guy by not giving me a ticket for improper placement of a greensticker.
So "frankly" If by volunteering my time to cleanup trash at Dumont I am the cause of my own problems, There is a problem.
I am tired of seeing you shoot down everybody's opinions and hijacking threads with your know it all attitude Gray. I know you are a MOD, and I don't care if you give me a strike, close the thread, or whatever. I don't expect to change your mind, nor will you change mine.

Ha Ha people calling them LEO's. What do you think this is a Firearm forum? :thumbsup:

• 2wheels-drz

Posted June 01, 2007 - 03:42 PM

hmm, my 2cents would be the ranger is just a guy like you or me, and hes just doing his job.

i don't understand this green sticker, red season thing?? how can a 02 426 be much different to a 06/07 450?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.