TrailTech Vapor Install

8 replies to this topic
  • needsprayer

Posted May 27, 2007 - 04:24 PM

The installation of the magnet and sensor was made easy with the EBC oversized rotor. The magnet w/ retaining clip fit into one of the rotor slots and the sensor was easily fitted onto the EBC caliper extender bracket.

I took the easy way with the RPM installation by simply wrapping the RED wire around the spark plug wire. The water temperature sensor was also easy to insert into the left side horizontal water line. Didn't even have to drain the radiators. This hose connects to the top of the radiator. I elevated the front end and caught a little coolant in a container.

Took the XR out this morning and everything worked.

I'm running 15/48 gearing which a gearing calculator says has a top speed of 93 mph. I saw 92 on the Vapor. :)

BTW, the tires are Avon Gripsters. 80/20 (road/dirt).

• Billahjack

Posted May 28, 2007 - 03:34 PM

Good Job! Mine tops out at 105 hitting the rev limiter with 14/48 gearing. The rear tire is a tall Maxxis 120/100-18. The thing hits the plastic swingarm guard when the bike is sitting still. I also put in a cam and exhaust. Today, I blew away a loud harley from a stop light. The guy saw me and started lighting up his pipes trying to make his bike obnoxiously loud. I had my girlfriend on the back and carried the bike through 2nd on a wheelie while leaning forward.

• needsprayer

Posted May 28, 2007 - 05:27 PM

Hey Billahjack,

How much top end speed do you think the cam adds? I was thinking of changing the gearing to 15/42 to break 100 mph but it sounds like the cam is the better choice.

The gearing calculator shows:
15/45 yields 100 mph top speed
15/42 yields 107 mph top speed

When I pass by a Harley rider with "the look" I stand straight up on the pegs and look down.

• Billahjack

Posted May 28, 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hey Billahjack,

How much top end speed do you think the cam adds? I was thinking of changing the gearing to 15/42 to break 100 mph but it sounds like the cam is the better choice.

The gearing calculator shows:
15/45 yields 100 mph top speed
15/42 yields 107 mph top speed

When I pass by a Harley rider with "the look" I stand straight up on the pegs and look down.

The cam and pipe make a big difference in overall speed, but the bike still feels similar....just more power. The bike just keeps pulling in the higher RPM instead of dropping power like the stock configuration.

My buddy has a stock XR650R with an FMF Q2 pipe (stock cam). It has 15/48 and can barely hit 100 mph on the flat when he tucks in (chin on the bar)with tight fitting clothes.

I went with the HRC cam. I ordered just the cam from Service Honda but it was over $300. It drops right in. The timing gear flange is already pressed on it and it has the autodecompressor unlike all of the other after-market cams. Aftermarket cams require you to take off the timing gear flange from your stock cam and install it in the proper orientation on the new cam. I have done this a couple times now and have it down to 45 minutes to swap a cam from running bike to running bike again. My first time, I installed a Hotcams Stage 1 and it took about 2.5 hours since I had to figure out the timing chain tensioner and valve adjustment.

If you get an HRC or a Hotcams Stage 2, you still need a good header/pipe combo. Stay away from FMF pipes. They don't work well with the XR650R relative to other exhaust systems. I lucked out and found a pre-owned but not used Moriwaki exhaust system. The ProCircuit T-4 is good along with the Barnums Pro. I haven't taken a good look at the Akprovic, Jardine, or Two Brothers exhuasts. I do remember that my Two brothers exhaust on my RC-51 sucked big time. It rattled and sounded crappy compared to a Yoshimura system on my RC-51. The XR650R Yoshimura slip-on is a good pipe. I have a used one in the garage if you are interested. I don't think they make headers anymore. I believe that the Yosh pipe will fit a FMF header since the FMF headers retain stock pipe coupling sizes and location for header to exhaust pipe. My rationale for the FMF compatibility is that FMF pipes directly fit the stock header. The FMF headers also fit the FMF pipes. Hence, The Yosh pipe should fit an FMF header.

My jetting is 68s pilot/180 main with the side panel cut-out and the bike sounds killer. I'm still tweaking with the needle and main as I get some odd roll-off burbles with the throttle response above 4000 feet. If I went to a 15/45, I'm pretty sure I can hit 110-115mph, but I do alot of technical trails along with dual sporting on the street. Maybe I might try a 15/48 as my buddy still does well on the trails. Also, I don't like to rev mine past 6500 RPM for extended periods. This keeps me around the 65-70 MPH range for cruising with 14/48.

Here are some of my spare parts...
Yoshimura Slip-on Pipe, Stock header
Hotcams Stage 1 with Timing Gear Flange (Uninstalled)

With this combo, I was good for 103 MPH but it doesn't have as much power as the HRC cam with the Moriwaki pipe.

After I did the HRC/Moriwaki combo, I found that the bike needed better grip.

If you have any other questions about combos, feel, install, etc...please ask.
:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawabuggy

Posted May 29, 2007 - 06:27 AM

In regards to top speed, that is controlled by your rev limiter.. Unless of course your bike lacks the power needed to push the bike in 5th gear to the rev limiter. A cam, in and of itself, will not increase the top speed of the bike UNLESS your bike falls in the aforementioned group that won't hit the rev limiter due to not enough power-THEN, and this is only a possibility, the cam may increase top speed. The way to change top speed on your bike is with gearing.

• Billahjack

Posted May 29, 2007 - 10:17 AM

With the gearing in Needsprayer's bike, its not hitting the rev limiter at those speeds unless he changed the wheel diamter and swapped to super moto tires.

For me, the biggest difference in speed is tucking in versus sitting straight up. That's free!

• needsprayer

Posted May 29, 2007 - 10:27 AM

Well mine must be underpowered, it doesn't hit the rev limiter at 92 mph and the pull is played out. It sounds like a cam & pipe release that power. That's not to say that gearing wouldn't get me there, but the power delivery in stock form (for top end acceleration) is less.

• Kawabuggy

Posted May 29, 2007 - 10:42 AM

You are right, there can never be enough power! You are on the right track looking for it too. The cam and the pipe are the best upgrades-second only to properly jetting the carb. Have fun!

• Billahjack

Posted May 29, 2007 - 06:51 PM

92mph sounds right for a stock XR650R. Going down a hill, you can probably break 100.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.