new rings and valve grinding ?? help guys !!

7 replies to this topic
  • mikey 4410

Posted May 27, 2007 - 10:39 AM

my xr600 is very easy to kick over when trying to find tdc and i keep MISSING it. its done 30,000 kms. please any advice would be great

thanks in advance

• kellismechanic

Posted May 27, 2007 - 11:52 AM

Check the compression, wet and dry, if it is under 100psi, you need rings, if the wet reading is higher, if it is the same, you need the head worked on, as in valves.:) :ride:

• Billahjack

Posted May 29, 2007 - 06:56 PM

What is wet versus dry compression? I always just screwed the tube into the sparplug hole and kicked it over.

• creeky

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:04 PM

What is wet versus dry compression? I always just screwed the tube into the sparplug hole and kicked it over.

Do the compression check in the normal manner, then pull the spark plug and squirt a generous amount of motor oil into the spark plug hole and repeat the compression check. If the compression improves significantly after squirting in the oil, the rings are worn. If the compression does not improve, the valves are the culprits.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Billahjack

Posted May 30, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Do the compression check in the normal manner, then pull the spark plug and squirt a generous amount of motor oil into the spark plug hole and repeat the compression check. If the compression improves significantly after squirting in the oil, the rings are worn. If the compression does not improve, the valves are the culprits.

Cool! Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

• NavyNuke

Posted May 31, 2007 - 03:59 PM

thanks for the tip. never heard that.

• butcharin

Posted June 01, 2007 - 05:37 AM

Does the auto decompresion affect the compretion check?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 01, 2007 - 07:55 AM

XR650L auto-decomp does drastically lower the reading.

You are supposed to see, 90 psi I think with it active, and much higher when you disable it by loosening one of the exhaust tappets a bit.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.