Sold my DRZ should the XR650L be my next bike?

6 replies to this topic
  • xti

Posted May 27, 2007 - 07:25 AM

I enjoyed my DRZ400S but it was time for a change. My riding is mostly street, back roads, gravel and fire roads. I like the XR for it's simple bullet proof design. Here in Oregon the DMV is starting to recall the plates on bikes that were not original DOT approved. My choice is the L as I am 6'1 about 200lbs fully loaded with gear. I like the Dual Sport bikes as you sit high above the traffic and they are so easy to wrench on. I plan on rejetting and doing some basic mods which should be a lot of fun. Any idea on how much mod $ it takes to make a new stock XR650L a great bike?:)

One thing I really liked was the DRZ started like a champ every single time either hot or cold. Can you say the same for an XR650L if properly jetted? I really hate cold blooded bikes as I fought this for a long time with my air cooled Super Sherpa.:ride: Hope this is a non issue with the XR650L:ride:

• Boy named sue

Posted May 27, 2007 - 01:01 PM

Very cheap to do the mods for this bike to run right $50 MAYBE AS FOR COLD BLOODED it can be hard starting in the colder weather if it has sat for a while.

• Motosprtman

Posted May 28, 2007 - 10:47 AM

Yes buy an XR650L.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted May 28, 2007 - 03:50 PM

absolutely, positively, buy a XR650L ... you're almost as big as me, and for your type of riding, it gets no better ... whatever shortcomings it has (WEIGHT, but still lighter than most 650 waterheads) ... starting is as easy as it gets ... you can de-smog and rejet, aircleaner, etc., for well under $100, most improvements involve a little hands-on minor labor, not much in the way of parts ... it was designed for YOU ... :)

• xti

Posted May 28, 2007 - 06:22 PM

Getting more and more convinced for the tpe of riding I do the XR650L will work out great.:ride: Will be going to the local Honda dealer on Thursday with cash in hand and see what kind of deal I can work out. I have always been impressed with the XR line and looks like XR650L may be a mighty fine ride. :bonk:

At 1000' elevation it looks like 55/158 jets should be pretty close to what I need as this is just a tad rich at sea level.

I am really looking forward to tricking out this bike. To start with I am thinking of a Renthal fat bar, skid plate, rear rack, braided brake lines, carb jets, K&N or Uni Filter, frame guards, oversize pegs and a brighter headlight bulb..... :) This will be Fun!!!!!

• Billahjack

Posted May 28, 2007 - 07:57 PM

The 650L (~335 LBS wet) is heavier than your DRZ by at least 30 lbs. The DRZ weighs nearly the same as a XR650R (both ~305 LBS wet).

I was looking at the 650L and 650R and found an R that was street registered prior to the 2004 CA DMV deadline. I love the bike and would not change my decision.

I think that the Japanese bikes are going to make more Street Legal options within the next 2 years. I think they will have at least half of the following bikes in US street legal trim by 2009.
-XR650R (650L will be discontinued)
-WR250/450F
-KLX450F
-DRZ450
-CRF450X

I believe that CARB (California Air Resources Board) drives the boat on US street legal bikes for emissions. Husqvarna and KTM got around it, I don't see why the Japanese bikes can't. They already have some of the above mentioned bikes as street legal in a few other countries.

Also, when I go out to places that have more dual sport bikes than green/red sticker bikes, they are predominately KTM. I would think that the Japanese want a piece of that market share.

Last weekend I found that the KTM 525 EXC with a pipe is nearly equal to a XR650R uncorked with a pipe on pavement. On tight trails, the KTM was blazing fast. I still can't justify the KTM price-tag though.

My suggestion: Find something to ride but don't blow all of your cash on pipming out a bike now. Be patient and see if the Japanese step up to the performance dual sport market.

• xti

Posted May 28, 2007 - 08:42 PM

I think that the Japanese bikes are going to make more Street Legal options within the next 2 years. I think they will have at least half of the following bikes in US street legal trim by 2009.
-XR650R (650L will be discontinued)
-WR250/450F
-KLX450F
-DRZ450
-CRF450X

I believe that CARB (California Air Resources Board) drives the boat on US street legal bikes for emissions. Husqvarna and KTM got around it, I don't see why the Japanese bikes can't. They already have some of the above mentioned bikes as street legal in a few other countries.

Also, when I go out to places that have more dual sport bikes than green/red sticker bikes, they are predominately KTM. I would think that the Japanese want a piece of that market share.

Last weekend I found that the KTM 525 EXC with a pipe is nearly equal to a XR650R uncorked with a pipe on pavement. On tight trails, the KTM was blazing fast. I still can't justify the KTM price-tag though.

My suggestion: Find something to ride but don't blow all of your cash on pipming out a bike now. Be patient and see if the Japanese step up to the performance dual sport market.

You bring up a great point. Here in Oregon the DMV is following in California's footsteps. Already they are calling in the plates of recently reistered and plated "Off Road Only" motorcycles. If they do not call your plate in before it comes time to renew, guess what your vin number will come up in their database and no more tags for you.:bonk:

I too was real suprised recently when I was looking at the SM and TE Husqvarna bikes. The 450 and 510 were full on race ready bikes with blinkers, mirrors and a headlight thrown on. The same thing goes for KTM as well. Japan will have no choice but to follow suit or get left behind. Only bad thing I can see happening is their prices will go up as well. Thanks for your input though, it may be best to see what happens and wait a while longer. I will miss not having a bike though.:) :D

May be a good time to build a high powered electric bicycle.:ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.