xr 650 l, Any hope for medium framed riders?

24 replies to this topic

Posted May 26, 2007 - 07:26 PM

Hello All, I'm new to TT, like what I have seen so far!

Are all of you xr 650 l riders over 6'? I am 5' 8" and 220 and am considering this bike.
Is there any riders of this bike out there at 5' 6,7,or 8? How do you manage it?
How much does the supension lower when you set down on it?
Can the suspension be lowered any without greatly hurting performance?

I wish honda made this bike in a 300 or 350 persuasion.
Thanks for any answers you can provide. Joey S aka 308

• mrgolly

Posted May 27, 2007 - 12:37 AM

Hi I am 5 10 and found the beast a little tall and heavy for my size . I have just traded it in on a crf 450x, mucher lighter and easier to handle , It all depends on what sort of riding you prefer .

• MartinDKtm

Posted May 27, 2007 - 04:35 AM

Im 5'8" at 180lbs and like the ride. I did not lower the suspension. I've always like the big bikes. Suspension get down a little bit when sit on. Im on my toe tip when stopping but I dont really care. I don't ride with my foot on the ground but on the pegs so no problem...Maybe 1 or 2% of the time spent on a bike is when you stop foot on the ground, 99% of the time left is foot on the peg so the compromise choice was easy to do.

• jbird710

Posted May 27, 2007 - 05:27 AM

My neighbor is about 5' 6". He bought a lowering link for the rear suspension and dropped the triple clamps down on the forks. He was talking about getting the seat shaved but hasn't done it yet. Here's the link to the TT store and the Devol lowering link. There are others out there to choose from. http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=852&s=2

• dezert thumper

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:17 AM

The lowering link lowers it a little but not enought,and they are$$$$ I have read that a lot of people have took them back off. I too have the same trouble as you and have really been doing a lot of reading and talking to others about this. What I am going to do is have the rear shock spring done so the rear will set about 3" lower them I will slide the front forks to up. I just think this would be the right way to do it.

• WY XR650L

Posted May 27, 2007 - 05:15 PM

I've got a '99 XR650L and put a lowering link on and it did help. I'm 5'10" 180 lbs and no problem. If you do go for the lowering link order the bearings while you are at it. No fun trying to remove and reinstall old needle bearings 75 miles from the nearest parts.

• Rman of 237

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:12 PM

Hey 308,
Im 5-7 @ 145 lbs. The XR's Only link is $100 and it helps more on some xr models better than others. It did very little on my 400 but it does make a difference on my 650. I also raised the forks in the clamps. I guess it's about 3 in. lower. I know I'm small for this bike but it was a good investment because this thing flies!:)
My 140 lb nephew rides on the back sometimes and it feels like its pulling a trailer. I feel for you heavy riders, you don't know what you're missing.
If you do do the mods., expect the kickstand to be longer because the frame is lower. It takes getting used to.
Rman....

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:27 PM

Rman 237 and the others, thanks for the answers. After hearing from yall I think it may be doable after all.

I do a lot of my own mechanicing work, how involved is installing the lowering link?
The kickstand is not a concern, when/ If I get the ride height down some I can cut and weld it to any length it needs to be. Thanks again: Joey S aka 308

• jbird710

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:36 PM

I do a lot of my own mechanicing work, how involved is installing the lowering link?

If you get new bearings and install them instead of trying to use the original ones; the only thing left to do is to remove the two bolts holding the original link on and bolt up the new link. It really is worth it to use new bearings unless you have a fairly good press and are proficient at pressing bearings.

• hrc1

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Is this bike going to be primarily for street use? If you want to use it heavily in the dirt and ride aggressively i have read to stay away from a lowering link.
I'm 5'9 on a good day, 210 lbs and my 00" XR600 isn't too mutch to handle for fast trail riding or on my tight backyard track. It is awkward in some situations but i try to ride around it best i can. The size and weight can be a handfull sometimes but you get used to it. Too bad they didn't make a crf 230 sized bike with a huge motor and killer suspension...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MoeSizlack

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:49 PM

I'm 5'6 with a 29' inseam there is no way I would ride this bike with a lowering link. The suspension is already being taxed to the limit offroad why take out even more travel. I always ride with my feet on the pegs anways:bonk:
If you are a new rider you may have to learn how to shift your body off to one side when stopping to touch down. I recomend practising riding at very slow speeds.

• HeadTrauma

Posted May 28, 2007 - 01:04 AM

I'm 6'4" with a 34"+ inseam and so far the 600/650L chassis is the only one that fits me because it is actually tall enough. I had a '92 CR250 before that I was too big for it.

However, a friend I ride with is 5'10" and he has an '84 or '85 XR/XL600 that isn't nearly as tall. Yeah it has rear drum brakes, but he rides as fast as any of us on newer bikes.

Another option is a 250L. I had one and while it wasn't a fire-breathing torque monster, I was able to whip it into going fast with street gearing on desert bomber runs. Even managed to keep up with some amateurs on a KLX650 and a (newer at the time) YZ400F.

If it will help, I can get seat heights for both bikes.

• kelleyseiler

Posted May 28, 2007 - 03:52 AM

5'8" and 160lbs I did lower my bike and it was a great improvement. I dropped it 3 times before I lowered it on inclines, none since.

HERES THE LOWERING LINK I INSTALLED.
Posted Image

HERES MY BIKE NOW WITH THE SUPERMOTO RIMS ON.
Posted Image

• Rman of 237

Posted May 28, 2007 - 07:50 AM

Hey kelly...
Thats a trick moto! What brand are your mirrors and steering stab.?
Rman...

• Rman of 237

Posted May 28, 2007 - 09:02 AM

Hey Guys,
The 650 link was easier to install than the 400 since you don't have to remove the swingarm.:) Just jack it up or crate it to take the weight off. You may have to remove the chain so the link bolts can clear letting the link drop out then do everything in reverse with new link. As you can see in kelly's pic., it needs grease fittings . Your neighborhood hardware will have them for about $1.50 ea (metric threads). I recommend using a waterproof marine grease (that sticky blue stuff). I agree with others to get new bearings as the old ones will explode upon removal. Do not take it to Honda to press in new bearings, they will charge you 1/2 an hour @ $65.00 per hour and they will probably make you leave the link overnight. I took mine to a local alternator shop and the guy did it in 2 mins. for free!!:ride:
XR's Only claim their links do not change the dynamics of the suspension but it does ride slightly different.
I do not use this bike other than zipping around the farm or hauling ass into town. It is a heavy bike and if I dropped it in the mud I would be probably be stranded.:D (remember, I weigh 145 lbs.) I have the xr400 and kdx200 for the tracks and woods but I would not trade the unbridled raw horsepower of this bike for all the tea in China!:bonk:
I think you vertically challenged folks will find this mod. worthwhile.:busted:
Good Luck,
Rman...

• kelleyseiler

Posted May 28, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Hey kelly...
Thats a trick moto! What brand are your mirrors and steering stab.?
Rman...

The mirrors are from Speedzilla and its a Superbrace. Thanks.

• XRR-kat

Posted May 29, 2007 - 05:30 AM

I used to be 6'-0" but when fitted for bicycle a couple of years ago the bike shop measured me at 5'-10" I still claim 5'-10-1/2" and know I'm 220:ride:

The bike was manageable (XR650R) but I wanted more control for uneven terrain so I installed a Kouba link. This lowered the rear about 1" but the front was also lowered to match by raising the forks in their triple clamps.

Even with stock triple clamps, you can raise forks about an inch. This retains the stock geometry, otherwise you'll increase the rake. Raise the forks too much and you may bottom the forks out on the underside of front fender. The Kouba comes with literature for install and adjustments.

• GIANTac1

Posted May 29, 2007 - 03:37 PM

Rman 237 and the others, thanks for the answers. After hearing from yall I think it may be doable after all.

The kickstand is not a concern, when/ If I get the ride height down some I can cut and weld it to any length it needs to be. Thanks again: Joey S aka 308

I am 5' 8", and a couple pounds lighter than you and can role that thing through anything. You will be fine if you let the bike do the work.

• gabriel

Posted June 04, 2007 - 10:55 AM

i am 5'-10" and 160lbs...i feel straight at home on my xr 650l even on single track...the size of the bike is a mental thing IMO.

• shonoa

Posted June 06, 2007 - 02:06 AM

If you get new bearings and install them instead of trying to use the original ones; the only thing left to do is to remove the two bolts holding the original link on and bolt up the new link. It really is worth it to use new bearings unless you have a fairly good press and are proficient at pressing bearings.

Lowering link is a good option and easy to install. But you have to get a link with the bearings in it. You cant take the old bearings out of the old link without a barring press.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.