2007 WR450 Valve Check Results?

Hi all you '07 WR450 owners.

Just curious what you have found so far with your valves.

I have 500 miles on my bike; have changed the oil 3 times.

Have any of you had to adjust?

And if so, how many miles did you have on your bike when you did?

If not, how many miles do you have on your bike now w/o an adjustment?

Thanks a lot,

Jim

Hi all you '07 WR450 owners.

Just curious what you have found so far with your valves.

I have 500 miles on my bike; have changed the oil 3 times.

Have any of you had to adjust?

And if so, how many miles did you have on your bike when you did?

If not, how many miles do you have on your bike now w/o an adjustment?

Thanks a lot,

Jim

? My "03 has about 3800 miles on it and just checked the valves before a Baja trip last month and they were "on the money". Seems as if these bikes :ride: (WR) need very little valve adjusting.

Doc

2007 WR450 Purchased 23 Dec 2006

Just finished my first valve check.

Mileage/Hours: 1069 miles/55.2 Hours

LI/MI/RI all between 0.10 mm and 0.13 mm (i.e., 0.10 would slide through but 0.13 would not).

LE between 0.20 mm and 0.23 mm

RE between 0.23 and 0.25 mm

ALL IN SPEC! ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

We pulled my sons '06 WR450 apart to check clearance for the first time since new. All within spec except 1 intake (left side). It was about .090mm. I could easily get an .080mm in but not the .10mm. Does anyone see this as a major problem? And how do you open the gap. Shims are for tightening up the gap, but I need to go the other way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I check mine ant about 22hrs, 4 were tight (2 intake, 2 exhaust). Each one only changed one shim size.

And how do you open the gap. Shims are for tightening up the gap, but I need to go the other way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Smaller (thinner) shims. They already have shims in them probably in the 165 - 175 range.

We pulled my sons '06 WR450 apart to check clearance for the first time since new. All within spec except 1 intake (left side). It was about .090mm. I could easily get an .080mm in but not the .10mm. Does anyone see this as a major problem? And how do you open the gap. Shims are for tightening up the gap, but I need to go the other way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

r u shure its the other way?--- also seen in another post that honda's adjuster's come in smaller incriments and work on wr/yz?

Two 2007 WR450's:

One with 3,000 miles/115 hrs since May: Valve clearance within limits, never been changed from new.

Second one with 2,800 miles/105 hrs since May: Same as above.

Bob

r u shure its the other way?--- also seen in another post that honda's adjuster's come in smaller incriments and work on wr/yz?

Well, technically, whatever size you put in determines the gap you have. So you can go either way with it. Put in a thinner shim and widen the gap or put in a thicker shim and close it up.

A buddy of mine was saying that Yamaha must put odd size shims in there because he has found wierd sized shims in a few bikes. Anyone have this experience?