XR650R Hop up?!?!

13 replies to this topic
  • lucky13

Posted May 26, 2007 - 05:04 PM

I have a 01 XR650R that supposedly has the HRC hop up kit. It doesn't have any air box mods. Will it really make a difference? I was told before I bought the bike how much of an "animal" it was, but it really doesn't seem that powerful. The DR650 I had seemed torque-ier than the XR.

Any ideas or thoughts?

BTW, the bike is in Supermoto trm and has been geared to 15/45.

Thanks in advance!

• Thumpmeister

Posted May 27, 2007 - 01:30 AM

Well, you can always CHECK to see if has the HRC kit...

When you take off the air filter/box cover, you'll see the filter, and a couple holes, or pieces of plastic above the filter. If there are just two holes there, about 1.5"x3", then the air box has been taken care of. If one of the holes is blocked off, and the other has a snorkel, then it hasn't. What else do you mean by 'air box mods'?

You can also check the boot between the carb and the head. If theres nothing restrictive in the boot, then the HRC kit has probably been added. If the restrictive boot is on there, then there will be about a .5"x1" opening in the boot. Also, the stock quiet tip should be replaced w/ the HRC one as well.

If the bike is uncorked, it should be able to run circles around the DR 650. Do a search on here, and you should be able to come up with a few things... Good luck! :)

• Billahjack

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:07 AM

What exhaust is on the bike? If it is stock, then what is the outlet diameter? How mechanically inclined are you? Depending upon the answer to the exhaust, there may be some other things to check...

• lucky13

Posted May 27, 2007 - 05:53 PM

What exhaust is on the bike? If it is stock, then what is the outlet diameter? How mechanically inclined are you? Depending upon the answer to the exhaust, there may be some other things to check...

Its the stock exhaust with what I believe to be the HRC Uncorking kit including the exhaust tip. The diameter is 2" at its widest point.

I was really wondering if not have the airbox mod, cutting out the 2 triangle holes in the side of the airbox, is making the bike have a lot less power.

• Billahjack

Posted May 28, 2007 - 05:47 AM

Sounds like your exhaust is OK. The side-panel cut-out mod helps a little but not that much unless you go with a bigger cam and exhaust header.

Airbox unplugging - check out the following website, look at the picture on the lower left corner. The two plugs are located just above the air filter and are pressed into the black plastic frame that also holds the air filter. Removing them lets the bike pull more air in from under the seat.

http://xr650r.us/tech/thewrench.jpg

Other good websites (they have links to more good XR650R websites):
http://xr650r.us/
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/

Keep in mind that the XR650R is a torqe monster. It is more like a big-block V-8 in power delivery than a punchy 4-cylinder. With the stock 650R, you get big torque off idle through the midrange then it starts tapering off power. This is unlike smaller dirt bikes that have a power "hit" when you get to a certain RPM. Perhaps this is your guage for power....the power hit at RPM like 2-strokes. If you modify the 650, you will shift the power up in the RPM but it is still a smooth build without a hit.

• InternalCombustion

Posted May 28, 2007 - 03:58 PM

I also have an '01 650R, uncorked, full Pro Circuit T4 exhaust, Uni filter and other stuff. When I run supermoto rims & tires I prefer 16/44 gearing because if I run 15/45, 1st and 2nd gear tends to be mostly a 1-wheel affair.

Study the images that Billahjack listed, carefully. From your description I am guessing the previous owner may have just added the HRC tip but didn't bother with the rest of the mods. Both the intake and exhaust mods (incl re-jetting) must be all completed or the power gains are minimal.

Take heart, though: when you complete all the uncorking mods (intake, airbox, rejetting, exhaust tip) the power WILL make you a happy camper, particularly if you are running 17" rims and 15/45 gearing.

The XR650R is a great bike, mountains of low-end torque and sweet mid- and upper-range power, but only when properly uncorked. Study the information on those websites and get your R set up properly. You will be pleased with the results.

Let us know what you find regarding your bike's current config. It sounds like something is still choking it off.

Good luck and ride safe.

• lucky13

Posted May 28, 2007 - 05:17 PM

Just wanted to say thanks in advance. I will check the airbox as soon as I can.

The other thing that had been bothering me was my friend has a DRz400 motard that pretty much keeps up with my bike. Granted, he is running 15/39 gearing, so his top speed is pretty high... but I wold assume that the XR650R should rip the DRZ to shreds.

Please let me know if I'm wrong in my assumption.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fordskin

Posted May 29, 2007 - 02:19 AM

Seriously if you can't smoke a drz 400 then there's definately something wrong. A good indication of power is the 650r should lift the front wheels under power alone {no pulling on bars} in 1st, 2nd, and {3rd if your a light guy}. Get it sorted and enjoy.:)

• InternalCombustion

Posted May 29, 2007 - 06:37 AM

The other thing that had been bothering me was my friend has a DRz400 motard that pretty much keeps up with my bike. Granted, he is running 15/39 gearing, so his top speed is pretty high... but I wold assume that the XR650R should rip the DRZ to shreds.

The DRZ400 is a nice bike. BUT, name any test of performance: top speed, acceleration, roll-ons, whatever: a properly tuned and uncorked 650R should take the prize in any category over a DRZ400. Do a thorough check of your bike, per the websites Billahjack posted. Intake, jetting and/or exhaust, something is holding your 650R back.

Get your bike properly uncorked and you will see what we are all telling you is true.

Keep us posted.

• BWB63

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:05 AM

Are you running stock 14/48 gearing? or is it 15/45? That would make a big difference in "feel" or in lifting the front tire.

• lucky13

Posted May 29, 2007 - 09:38 AM

Are you running stock 14/48 gearing? or is it 15/45? That would make a big difference in "feel" or in lifting the front tire.

15/45. If I get on the gas pretty hard it will come up in first, off bumps in second with no bar pulling.

Hopefully I can get some garage time tonight to check the airbox. :)

• angrycookieman

Posted June 01, 2007 - 09:28 AM

Did you figure it out?

• lucky13

Posted June 01, 2007 - 10:48 AM

Hoping for garage time tonight. Been a very long work week for me.

Thanks for asking though. :thumbsup:

• lucky13

Posted June 03, 2007 - 04:31 PM

Found out my air filter was dark brown. Tried to give it a cleaning... but I need a new one. Took it for a ride today and noticed a slight difference. Felt a touch snappier. Hit the rev limiter in third, but not sure if it was because I was not "in tune" with my bike today or something else.

I plan to get a new filter and, at some point, punch some holes in the side panel. (and obviously rejet to suit).

Question though: at sea level 175 main 68s pilot?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.