Options to move bars forward on XR650L

13 replies to this topic
  • evomx971

Posted May 26, 2007 - 04:21 PM

I'm trying to get more comfortable on my XR650L when standing.

I put a set of Renthal 7/8 "Button" bend bars on it. These bars are about an 1" higher than stock with less sweep. It was a good change and the height is getting close but they're still too close to me when I'm in a standing position. I'm 6'2" tall.

I'm trying to assess my options for getting the bars further forward. I plan to put a Scotts stabilizer on the bike for a trip to Baja this fall.

I can get a Scotts or BRP top triple for it. It looks like they have reversible mounts that could move the bars out. However I want to keep my speedo and key and it looks like some fab work is needed since the triple is the one for an XR600R. What experience does everyone have with this set up on an 'L'?

I can get an RSW top triple that has the key mount and is tapped for the speedo mount. I've read about fitment issues though when also mounting a Scotts steering stabilizer. Any feedback here?

Are there any other options? I've seen risers that bolt onto the stock triple clamp and raise the bars. Is there something similar that raises AND moves them forward?

Thanks for you help!

• radvocaat

Posted June 05, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Im surprised no one has any input here! I too would like to find a upper triple with adjustable bar mounts to raise and off set the bars and improve ergos. So far i've only found that RSW Racing makes one, so i'd be very interested in some feedback from those who have used one, particularly taller guys. Im 6'4", and im surprised I found no discussion on this topic. Any info/testaments appreciated!

Peace--Rick

• xr650l bum

Posted June 05, 2007 - 09:04 PM

Roxspeedfx.com they are very adjustable. I put the anti vibes on and like them so far. Only had them for couple rides.

• Alex 400

Posted June 05, 2007 - 09:27 PM

Are there any other options? I've seen risers that bolt onto the stock triple clamp and raise the bars. Is there something similar that raises AND moves them forward?

Thanks for you help!

My dad and I both have these bar risers on my xr400 and they move the bars up and foward that really help open up the stance. They are made by thumper racing but they are not in the online catalog, but if you call them they can hook you up with a set.

Posted Image

• LeadDoggy

Posted June 06, 2007 - 05:43 AM

i have risers on my XR600. Made major difference in riding comfort.

Did a search for "risers" here on TT and found some links:
http://www.dirtbikep...uct/630-5498219
http://www.roxspeedf...i?subcat_id=268

Good luck.......

• malevolent73

Posted June 09, 2007 - 12:08 AM

I just put the RSW top triple on my new 650L, and it was a major improvement!!! I'm 5'11", it helped out a lot. I talked to Ron (RSW) on the phone for a bit, and he seems like a real nice guy, also there are 2 options that he offers... a 2in. or 3in. rise, and 2 positions for moving the bars forward, depending on which way you turn the clamps. I got the 2 in, with the bars more forward, and I like! *** also note the factory lock STILL works with that clamp*** I was told by BRP I might have to do some modifying to mount the speedo, and the lock would NOT work w/ their clamp... just an FYI:ride:

• evomx971

Posted June 12, 2007 - 05:43 PM

I ended up getting an RSW top triple. Nice looking piece and everything bolts up well. It's definitely heavier than the stock item. I got the 2 inch risers, I mounted them in the forward position, and I'm running "Button Bend" 7/8 Renthal bars. I haven't had a chance to take it off road yet but initial stand and street impressions are positive. Now I just need to work with Scotts to get a stabilizer mount that will work with this triple.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Captain Midnight

Posted October 10, 2007 - 11:00 PM

I'm using a set of 70 vintage Yamaha motocross bars. Cut to 32". They have almost 6" rise. Solid aluminum, no taper, no crossbar. Plenty of room for Scotts damper. Indestructable.

• Denn10

Posted October 11, 2007 - 05:46 AM

this is from June LOL thats alot of scrolling through pages to find this

• heavyhitter

Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:50 AM

For what you want the Button bend doesnt seem the best. Renthal RC high bend or even better yet YZ double hi bend. Both would give you less sweep and more hight than the Button. I especially like the TAGs.

• martinfan30

Posted October 11, 2007 - 12:25 PM

2" roxspeed pivoting risers.

• Denn10

Posted October 11, 2007 - 01:27 PM

YET another sensative kid on here that reads with his feelings and decides to leave some NEGATIVE feedback from my comment LMAO Thanks alot Captain Some never learn do they?

MARTIN quit posting on all these old posts you post hound!!!

• martinfan30

Posted October 11, 2007 - 02:03 PM

YET another sensative kid on here that reads with his feelings and decides to leave some NEGATIVE feedback from my comment LMAO Thanks alot Captain Some never learn do they?

MARTIN quit posting on all these old posts you post hound!!!

i'm bored! dont give me any S*** or i'll give you a NEG LOL!

captain... you gotta know this is all in humor.

• Denn10

Posted October 11, 2007 - 02:20 PM

Sorry SIR my BADDDDD!!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.