WR426f vs Yz250f?

7 replies to this topic
  • Swampus

Posted May 26, 2007 - 03:06 PM

Ok, I've finally came down to the decision that I'm either going to buy a 2002 Wr426f thats barely been used or a 2004 Yz250f set up for woods riding, also low hours, lots of aftermarket parts on it, suspension set for woods.

Both are kickstart, I'll be riding mainly woods. I weigh about 160. Pretty experianced at riding.

Hows the aftermarket for the 426? I know the 250f has a ton of support.

I'll either be picking up one of these two bikes soon. Thanks.

• John221ex

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:00 AM

Plenty of goodies for the earlier bikes--no problem finding parts for my 400 and my friend reports the same for his 426.
I probably do similar riding and really like the 400 in the woods, but wonder sometimes if a 250 might be a bit more manoueverable. Would miss the torque on those zero-run dead uphills, though!

John
Baltimore

• Vegemite_luva

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:13 AM

I'd get the 250 for woods riding because if you are 160 pounds and depending on your height the 400 may be a real struggle to handle in the woods. I have the 450 and will probably down grade to a 250 next year because lugging the 450 around just makes riding less fun.

• Swampus

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:23 AM

Hows the power/torque on a 250 compared to a 426?

I know its a world difference. But I dont want to be dissapointed when it comes to power, I like wheelies and hill climbs.

thanks for all the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lordlrl

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:42 AM

i got an 04 yz250f and it kicks ass. i climb hills and wheelie just as good as my buddies on bigger bikes. I have rode bigger bikes and mine suits me well for trails hills and track. Its very light compared to other bikes. Also a wr is going to weigh more than a yz. A wr I do believe has been taken down from stock also. you can make it like a yz by doing some do it yourself mods that i dont think would cost a lot if any money. (throttle screw and some other stuff that i read in an old issue of transword mx or racer x) the 250f i think would be a formidable bike with a pipe, power now and maybe a boyeson accelerator pump (my bike has a yoshi rs3 and power now) but even a stock 250f rips thought the trails. that would be my opinion. unless you do some night riding to cause then a light would be very nice. just my opinion, i dont know everything and may be wrong but i love my 250f.

• 1BLUEsky

Posted May 27, 2007 - 10:12 AM

An experienced riding partner of mine rides a Yz 426 in the woods and does well ,but he is getting rid of it for a while and plans on returning on either a YZ 250 2 stroke or one of the newer 250Fs.I ride a 2003 WR 450 and pretty much am planning on doing the same thing.These bikes have tons of uphill pulling power ,but are very heavy,for your weight Id go with the lighter bikes!

• Swampus

Posted May 27, 2007 - 02:16 PM

An experienced riding partner of mine rides a Yz 426 in the woods and does well ,but he is getting rid of it for a while and plans on returning on either a YZ 250 2 stroke or one of the newer 250Fs.I ride a 2003 WR 450 and pretty much am planning on doing the same thing.These bikes have tons of uphill pulling power ,but are very heavy,for your weight Id go with the lighter bikes!

Thanks, Thats what I needed to know. I think I may just break down and go get a 250f, I know it will have tons of aftermarket support. I just pray its power will suffice me :)

• Dano426

Posted May 29, 2007 - 06:40 AM

Thanks, Thats what I needed to know. I think I may just break down and go get a 250f, I know it will have tons of aftermarket support. I just pray its power will suffice me :)

I am 200 lbs and went from a YZ426F to a YZ250F. The 250F is way more fun to ride in the woods. I purchased a larger rear sprocket (50T) and I can chug around in the tight stuff and still have the power to climb the hills.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.