07 YZF450 for tall people

15 replies to this topic
  • mxvet532

Posted May 26, 2007 - 02:35 PM

I am considering all the 450s right now. I have haerd that the yamaha feels kind of small. Do you tall guys feel that way? Also, Have have they felt after say changing the bars, going to a tall seat or lower pegs. i ask because I had a RMZ450 that felt samll no matter what I did to it.

• kyle450rider

Posted May 26, 2007 - 06:55 PM

I think the yamaha feels bigger than most bikes but thats just my opinion.I did ride a 2005 honda and now a 2007 yamaha.Just put on a set of tall protapers and go from there.I'm a little over 6 ft and i feel good on the bike.

• DesertRacer2

Posted May 28, 2007 - 04:38 PM

I'm 6'5 and my 07 YZ450 feels fine to me.

• jbehunin

Posted June 01, 2007 - 09:59 AM

I am 6'7" tall and I feel really comfortable on my 07 YZ450F

• ragdoll 1

Posted June 01, 2007 - 10:04 AM

im 6 2 and i put on tall bars and a taller seat foam and its feels great.

• haole450f

Posted October 07, 2010 - 10:03 AM

I'm 6'4 and I also installed the protaper Evo's on my 07 and have now complaints

• cowboyona426

Posted October 07, 2010 - 10:16 AM

I'm 6'2" and run Windham bend PT Contours with 10mm risers on my 06. I would like to lower the pegs for standing riding, but other than that no complaints.

• doc427

Posted October 07, 2010 - 09:32 PM

6'6".... I bought the Scott steering damper with bar riser that gave me an inch, taller bars, tall seat, I was unable to lower the pegs because the peg mount bolt gets in the way, but as it is now it feels pretty good. +2 on the bar positioning also. I did notice cornering can be tricky at times because of the changes up front but i am used to it.

Has anyone had success lowering pegs on these bikes, i bought the pivot pegs for that specific reason and was really bummed when i couldn't flip them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted October 07, 2010 - 10:07 PM

Im 6'4" and I run renthal RC highs in the forward position and STR lower footpeg mounts on my 09. Bike feels great, I can stand up with my back straight so I dont feel like im hunched the entire ride.

• stringbeanWilly

Posted October 09, 2010 - 03:49 PM

Im 6'5'' and am on an '06, running Windham bend contours, sdg tall seat, and the free footpeg mod. Ive been really comfortable with this set up. The only other thing I could see improving would be getting triple clamps allowing me to move bars forward. But...cha-ching, to much cash.

The footpeg mod was pretty crucial, not only lowering them but pushing em back a bit. Search for the original thread describing the mod, but basically you cut off part of the peg itself, move it to the top and flip the springs.

• doc427

Posted October 09, 2010 - 06:59 PM

Im 6'5'' and am on an '06, running Windham bend contours, sdg tall seat, and the free footpeg mod. Ive been really comfortable with this set up. The only other thing I could see improving would be getting triple clamps allowing me to move bars forward. But...cha-ching, to much cash.

The footpeg mod was pretty crucial, not only lowering them but pushing em back a bit. Search for the original thread describing the mod, but basically you cut off part of the peg itself, move it to the top and flip the springs.

So i found some ideas, it sounds like i can either attempt to remove the torx bolt and countersink the footpeg bracket and install a countersunk bolt or grind off some of the footpeg to conform to the torx bolt, what did you do? I thought about grinding away at the footpeg in the past but the cost of the pegs was pretty high and i didn't want to screw them up, but if others have been successful i can do it!

• Steel Panther

Posted October 09, 2010 - 09:05 PM

So i found some ideas, it sounds like i can either attempt to remove the torx bolt and countersink the footpeg bracket and install a countersunk bolt or grind off some of the footpeg to conform to the torx bolt, what did you do? I thought about grinding away at the footpeg in the past but the cost of the pegs was pretty high and i didn't want to screw them up, but if others have been successful i can do it!

If you dont want to mod anything you can buy lower footpeg mounts, system tech racing makes some which I got off ebay for $30. Or you can but some fastways and the mounts to lower them as well. I like the str mounts because they go down and not back, and you still have the option to use fastways if you want to go lower. The fastway and str mounts both have a sunken lower bolt. IMO the lower mounts helped a lot.

• stringbeanWilly

Posted October 10, 2010 - 07:56 AM

Search this forum using "footpeg cut lower" and a thread called "footpeg mod??" will come up. I'm on iPhone so I can't post u link

• doc427

Posted October 10, 2010 - 02:31 PM

Search this forum using "footpeg cut lower" and a thread called "footpeg mod??" will come up. I'm on iPhone so I can't post u link

I found the thread and read through it but they were all dealing with the older steel frame. On the aluminum frame the footpeg mounting brackets are not part of the frame and are bolted on. The lower bolt gets in the way of the "lo boy" peg and does not let it sit down all the way. Picture the peg half way back and half way up. Im going to try and remove the bolt and drill it for a countersink head bolt. Wish me luck!

• stringbeanWilly

Posted October 10, 2010 - 07:21 PM

I'm on an '06, alum. frame, and did the mod. Remove pin, peg and spring. Cut "barrel" portion off of peg with grinder cutoff wheel or whatever. Band saw will also work, hacksaw will make you bored. Reinstall peg with barrel on top(no need to weld) and with the spring from the other side of bike. No need to mess with peg bracket, drilling the frame, etc.

• doc427

Posted October 10, 2010 - 07:47 PM

I'm on an '06, alum. frame, and did the mod. Remove pin, peg and spring. Cut "barrel" portion off of peg with grinder cutoff wheel or whatever. Band saw will also work, hacksaw will make you bored. Reinstall peg with barrel on top(no need to weld) and with the spring from the other side of bike. No need to mess with peg bracket, drilling the frame, etc.

Wow!!! i guess im just not following you can you post a pic cause the originals from the Mod thread have all expired, or send one to me directly at

doc_beer@yahoo.com

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.