FMF Q troubles

4 replies to this topic
  • Trail-Seeker

Posted May 26, 2007 - 12:57 PM

Hi guys, newbie here, to both jetting & forums. I'v got an 03 wr 450 recently rejetted to 160 main, 48 pilot, 70 starter. Grey wire cut, throttle stop shortened, snorkle removed, needle clip stock position, stock pipe baffle out. After all these changes bike ran better than ever. Yesterday installed FMF Q and the problems started, hard to start, back firing with flames out the pipe and surging at steady throttle position. I'm in Dallas area elevation around 700 feet. Can anyone send me in the right direction or should I go back to stock pipe. thanks

• ckroto

Posted May 26, 2007 - 01:15 PM

Sounds far too lean to me. Are you still running the stock needle? Try running a larger main jet, probably a 170 and fixing the needle. Also, dont forget to adjust your fuel screw.
My settings are as follows-2500 to 4000 feet alt.
172 main
48 pilot
JD blue 4th clip from top
fuel screw about 1.5 turns out
The remaining jets are stock.
Just hauls with this setup.

Good luck and be patient when jetting. It ca be a real pain if you let it get to you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cwimilan

Posted May 26, 2007 - 05:01 PM

you might want to check the pilot jet for clogging,if you have the correct short screwdriver bit you can remove it by just removing the float bowl drain cap 17mm wrench,i've had to do mine a couple of times,baja gas is not filtered and the fine stuff takes it's toll,:)

• cwimilan

Posted May 26, 2007 - 05:04 PM

btw,the fmf pipe should't make that big of difference,i have one on my 04 wr

• ffgman

Posted May 30, 2007 - 07:38 PM

I put a Q on my 04 when I had it and it did the same thing. Start by opening up the fuel screw. If that doesnt help, put a fatter pilot jet and it will cure your problems.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.