WR450 Gearing

10 replies to this topic
  • Gandalf_WR450

Posted May 26, 2007 - 09:48 AM

Recently bought a 03 WR450 after 30 years of not riding. Trying to discipline myself to gaining more control/experience on this machine that makes me want to go faster than I should. Have replaced front sprocket with 13T, but still wont allow tight , wooded 'trials' type riding. Anyone have an opinion on low gearing options that work well on tight trails?

• Bamster

Posted May 26, 2007 - 09:51 AM

I ran 13 /50 on my WR 400 and had no problems in the nastiest tight trails,
although I could go faster and didn't get as tired on the lighter and more easier to control WR 250.

• Gandalf_WR450

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:47 AM

Thanks, I probably need to use my clutch more. Old school was dont use the clutch, but the more I read I am starting to think I should be learning to use the clutch more.

• Beejay

Posted May 27, 2007 - 01:19 PM

If stalling is your problem then turn up the idle a wee bit, it helps.

• Johnny34

Posted May 27, 2007 - 01:47 PM

I ride tight trails and currently run 13/51. It suits my riding style and with all the other mods and jetting the thing is a tractor. I would have bought a 52 for the rear but the 51 was a gift from my wife so I thought I'd stick with it.

Oh yeah, just because you can tractor it doesn't mean you can ignore your clutch!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaseyWR450

Posted May 27, 2007 - 02:28 PM

I have 13/50 and it works just for tight trails.

• Tough Guy

Posted May 27, 2007 - 08:38 PM

You may want to look at the Rekluse clutch if you ride tight woods....I have stock gears in my bike and can crawl up anything without stalling. The Rekluse and the rear trials tire have been great mods for single track. :)

Chris

• Gandalf_WR450

Posted May 28, 2007 - 08:38 AM

Thanks, On the Rekluse- any negatives about this clutch? It seems there would be times you would want to be idling, power engaged, and you would have to give gas to keep it moving.

• Tough Guy

Posted May 28, 2007 - 09:58 AM

Thanks, On the Rekluse- any negatives about this clutch? It seems there would be times you would want to be idling, power engaged, and you would have to give gas to keep it moving.

The only negative I see is if you get hung up on a steep hill/climb etc...your bike is basically in a state of neutral when the engine is not running or just idling. It hasn't really posed any issues for me yet, but I'm sure it could bite me one of these days.

You can set the clutch engagement to an extent, I have mine engage early and quickly with very little slip.

Chris

• fdubaaron

Posted May 28, 2007 - 05:40 PM

I just moved to the WR450 from my old YZ250 and so I'm really used to using the clutch a ton. There are some areas in which this is helpful but also I think there're some instances when I could just mow through something rather than needing to keep the rpms up. I think finding the right balance for your riding style and your bike is more important at first than the perfect gear ratio.

• Desracer

Posted May 28, 2007 - 08:37 PM

The brakes are really good on the new stuff, if you dont use the clutch you will stop the engine with the brake. Start out on the easy stuff, ride as much as you can and the rest will work it self out. Have fun!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.