Completely Destroyed my YZ450 motor - what to do now?

24 replies to this topic
  • Pozi

Posted June 06, 2007 - 06:51 AM

I grenaded my engine while at the dunes. It floated a valve and impaled it into the piston. I looked on ebay for a new engine but decided to have mine repaired to avoid the risk of inheriting someone else's problematic engine. Get yourself a OEM TT membership and get the parts from them. They are the cheapest by far. Good luck.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• NateW

Posted June 06, 2007 - 08:29 AM

The problem with the damage my motor took was the fact that the crank completely bent then mashed up the engine case. If it was just piston/cylinder/head I would probably consider fixing it. I went out and bought a '03 YZ250 yesterday so the 450 is going to get parted out. I do appreciate all the suggestions/advice about this.

Are the 250 / 450 wheels compatible? I might keep them if that's the case. Any other bits and pieces worth keeping from the 450?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mn519

Posted June 06, 2007 - 09:00 AM

The problem with the damage my motor took was the fact that the crank completely bent then mashed up the engine case. If it was just piston/cylinder/head I would probably consider fixing it. I went out and bought a '03 YZ250 yesterday so the 450 is going to get parted out. I do appreciate all the suggestions/advice about this.

Are the 250 / 450 wheels compatible? I might keep them if that's the case. Any other bits and pieces worth keeping from the 450?

Yes your wheels should interchange both front and rear. You may need new spacers, but i doubt even that being they are the same year. Also your forks and shocks should interchange(but valving and spring rates would be different). I think the footpegs will also, probally the swingarm too. You can keep that stuff if you think you need it, but the forks/shocks/swingarm are the most valuable to sell on ebay.

• YzGuy79

Posted June 06, 2007 - 09:13 AM

I grenaded my engine while at the dunes. It floated a valve and impaled it into the piston. I looked on ebay for a new engine but decided to have mine repaired to avoid the risk of inheriting someone else's problematic engine. Get yourself a OEM TT membership and get the parts from them. They are the cheapest by far. Good luck.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Wow you need to keep that piston. :thumbsup: That's an awesome trophy. Amazingly you are the 3rd person I've seen do that exact same thing. Float a valve and blow it right through the piston.
Cheers:ride:

Perhaps there's something wrong with Yamaha's valves / engines........cough cough cough:busted: :) :ride: :ride:

• Pozi

Posted June 06, 2007 - 09:19 AM

Wow you need to keep that piston. :thumbsup: That's an awesome trophy. Amazingly you are the 3rd person I've seen do that exact same thing. Float a valve and blow it right through the piston.
Cheers:ride:

The piston is proudly displayed on my workplace desk!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.