my YZ426 has me stumped

8 replies to this topic
  • asdfasdfffewg

Posted May 25, 2007 - 10:51 AM

So one day I took out my bike and was riding when it started stuttering and dying on me... I tried starting it but it wouldnt start, waited a few minutes and it started up. I got almost all the way home and it did it again. So I ordered a new needle jet for the carb, put that in, adjusted the float, and when i started it up it ran fine until I topped it out and then it died on me. Im not a genius about these things so i took it to the shop... they said they thought it was a tank vent problem so they removed a piece of vent hose and adjusted the mixture screw and gave it back to me for 70 bucks. I got home all stoked and hopped on... rode it around the house and it worked great... then i did the real test, I took it down the road and topped it out. 300 yards after I topped it out it started dying on me and stalled out. I dont know whats wrong with it, im hoping someone out there has an idea so i can pass that on to the shop when i bring it back tomorrow... or just skip the shop and get my 70 bucks back! Any suggestions would be great!

• grayracer513

Posted May 25, 2007 - 12:46 PM

See if you can make it run right again by loosening the gas cap for a couple seconds. If so, the cap is bad.

• asdfasdfffewg

Posted May 25, 2007 - 02:44 PM

Okay, well i tried loosening the cap... took it up the street about a quarter mile full blast, everything still felt pretty normal and it didnt shut off, then i turned around and came down the stretch again just the same, full blast... this time about half way back down the street it started hesitating and then started to die and as i gave it gas it would try to go but then the sputtering and backfire got worse and the second i let off the gas it died. I waited about 20 seconds, gave it a kick and rode it back to the garage with no problem. I was hoping that was it, but nothing is ever that easy for me! Thanks for the idea though.

• grayracer513

Posted May 25, 2007 - 02:53 PM

OK, now check the next two things: Check the fuel flow out of the open fuel line to see if it looks too slow (dirty filter screen in the tank), and then, check the screen under the float needle seat in the carb.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted May 25, 2007 - 03:50 PM

If the fuel doesn't flow out of the line very fast, then you may want to check the rubber gasket in the petcock. Sometimes they fall apart and restrict the fuel flow to the carb.

• asdfasdfffewg

Posted May 26, 2007 - 11:28 AM

Well i took it back into the shop, they should be able to figure it out... hopefully before christmas.

• Butta

Posted May 26, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Well i took it back into the shop, they should be able to figure it out... hopefully before christmas.

I thought you wanted advice to fix it......the dealer already failed you once. TT always comes through (can't beat the price, either!!)

• 642MX

Posted May 26, 2007 - 06:13 PM

^^^^^^^^ Thats what I was thinking. Why did he waste our time asking questions if he was going to take it back to the dealer. :) :ride:

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 27, 2007 - 07:24 AM

Lets see. They charged you seventy bucks and didnt fix it. Make them refund that sevnty and do what was suggested here. Odds are your filter screen in the tank is dirty.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.